Gibson Brands Forums

Influenza

RS1976

Day 3 of Type A influenza. The Hellhammer of the first 24 hours has been turned down from 10 to about 6.5

I'm in good health overall, but I swear this virus on its first 36 hours was a living hell. Get a flu shot, take care of yourselves.

I'm quarantined from my family. catching up on Kubrick films... fyi, The Shining (1980) is not a good film to watch when you're in a momentary respite from the flu pains.

Guest Farnsbarns

I genuinely don't think I've ever had flu. Bad colds yes, but once in a while I hear about real flu and think, "nope, I've not had that".

Look after yourself!

I genuinely don't think I've ever had flu. Bad colds yes, but once in a while I hear about real flu and think, "nope, I've not had that".

Same here.

Take care and by the way cases here in middle Tennessee are 3 times the average and even people that had the vaccine are getting sick.

I had my shot but they say it will only protect you from 3 to 5 strands.

Day 3 of Type A influenza. The Hellhammer of the first 24 hours has been turned down from 10 to about 6.5

I'm in good health overall, but I swear this virus on its first 36 hours was a living hell. Get a flu shot, take care of yourselves.

I'm quarantined from my family. catching up on Kubrick films... fyi, The Shining (1980) is not a good film to watch when you're in a momentary respite from the flu pains.

I'm sorry you are ill.

The Shining starts with Jack driving out Going To The Sun Road, that's up at Glacier in northern Montana, right up on the border. It's a great drive, we did it a couple times in...2011 I think. Yeah that was when. Kubrick had a guy scouting the places to film that opener, had helicopters all over different mountain areas and finally settled on that one.

The exteriors of the hotel are the Timberline Lodge, it is on Mt. Hood out there in Oregon. In 2010 we were on our way to Portland for some business followed by some National Park driving around and found ourselves at the bottom of Mt. Hood. Drove on up there and got us a room at The Timberline and man, we were stoked. Lots of pictures of the film peoples, Mr. Kubrick did go there but only a couple days and wasn't around much. He had to get the light right for the variety of exteriors he wanted.

Most of the interior shots of the hotel are The Ahwahnee Hotel out there in Yosemite. We stayed there for 4 nights in 2008. It is true that he rebuilt the hotel sets someplace else with some changes, particularly the one bar set he used, but he also did some interiors there. The elevator in particular, and man that was a chore to use! Jack bouncing the ball off that one wall, I wanted to do that but couldn't.

Great film, every frame of film a photograph, that was what he wanted.

Feed a cold, starve a fever. Or something. Get well soon.

rct

I had my shot but they say it will only protect you from 3 to 5 strands.

And those are last year's flus. Some studies indicate the vaccine is worse than worthless since you are more likely to get last year's flu than from it to have it prevent this year's strains. Who knows? I skipped the vaccine this year though having gotten it over the last few years. We shall see.

Bummer that you are sick though, RS. Stay hydrated and get rest.

I'm sorry you are ill.

The Shining starts with Jack driving out Going To The Sun Road, that's up at Glacier in northern Montana, right up on the border. It's a great drive, we did it a couple times in...2011 I think. Yeah that was when. Kubrick had a guy scouting the places to film that opener, had helicopters all over different mountain areas and finally settled on that one.

The exteriors of the hotel are the Timberline Lodge, it is on Mt. Hood out there in Oregon. In 2010 we were on our way to Portland for some business followed by some National Park driving around and found ourselves at the bottom of Mt. Hood. Drove on up there and got us a room at The Timberline and man, we were stoked. Lots of pictures of the film peoples, Mr. Kubrick did go there but only a couple days and wasn't around much. He had to get the light right for the variety of exteriors he wanted.

Most of the interior shots of the hotel are The Ahwahnee Hotel out there in Yosemite. We stayed there for 4 nights in 2008. It is true that he rebuilt the hotel sets someplace else with some changes, particularly the one bar set he used, but he also did some interiors there. The elevator in particular, and man that was a chore to use! Jack bouncing the ball off that one wall, I wanted to do that but couldn't.

Great film, every frame of film a photograph, that was what he wanted.

Feed a cold, starve a fever. Or something. Get well soon.

rct

and how...

I loved the book. The film is a lot different, but when its on, i think its Spot On. Dig this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60WR8dB0H-s

I'm not a huge believer in the flu shots.

I'm 52 so I have had my share of them over the years.

I have got them and then got sick,, I have not got them and not got sick. I have got them and not got sick. I have not got them and got sick. I can't decide conclusively if they have ever helped me or not.

I don't go out of my way for them. If they have a drive on them at my work place I might get one if the line is short.

Although I did get the H1N1 shot a few years ago. All the hype and the first human contact for that strain kinda freaked me out.

So I made my kids get it. And as they got it I got it with them.

So at least our bodies have been exposed to it.

Other than that, they take their best guess at 4 or 5 strains and hope they get it right.

I'll leave it up to my immune system to figure it out. I'm not too worried about it.

I hear its a NASTY flu.

Weird is I never get a flu shot, and I mean never, but this year I had a doctors appointment anyway for some tests, and he suggested I get the shot.

I thought what the hell, so I had the shot.

My whole family, all my neighbors, basically every one I know came down with this years flu, every one but me.

Dont know if its because I had the shot, or was just lucky.

Could just be luck I dodged it, or it may be because I had the flu shot

Hope every one gets over it and starts feeling better soon. Thats a bad way to start the new year.

This year's flu shot is supposed to be pretty good, according to my doctor's nurse. But she said they though last year's was going to be good, too, and it turned out to be like 15% effective.

15% is a better chance than 0% i reckon. but yeah it is certainly a crap shoot.

there's a med called Tamiflu that is supposed to shorten the length of the virus from 7-5 days. luckily a good friend picked up the meds on my behalf and the treatment is by no means a magic bullet. if anything i got worse for the next day and a half. its also very hard to keep it down. but last night I was able to have a little food again.

a funny thing is when the Dr actually came into the examining room one of the first things he asked me while i'm slumped over looking like slapped hell was 'have you had a flu shot?"

by no means disrespecting what Doctors do. Especially in my town. But it was kind of a funny question.

ANyhow, not out of the woods. but with temps going nuts over the US, please take care of yourselves.

Archived