Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center

brannon67

How many of you buy your Gibson acoustics from Guitar Center, or have bought an acoustic or electric or anything from Guitar Center for that matter? I love how they say they take 10 percent off, then drop the price on the tag, then add back the cost of the GIBSON HSC and the tax on it, and the price jumps back up again. I called Gibson, and asked them if their guitars came standard with HS cases. They said yes, but they also said that they gave dealers the options of selling the cases seperate, as does Guitar Center, which I think is an under handed thing to do, but thats just my opinion. I almost got an AJ for $1800 and by the time they added tax, the HSC and other crap, it was back up where the original price was. That made me mad. Anyone else see a problem with their business pratice, or is it just me?

Hey @Brannon67 and everyone. My name is Jeremy Cole and I'm the Director of Sales Programs for Guitar Center. I wanted to jump in and try to clarify the statement above. After receiving a guitar and case from Gibson, Guitar Center does separate the guitar and the case into two separate pieces of inventory. However, the price of the two items add up to the same price posted on the Gibson website for the pair as one item. We separate the guitar and case so we can better track inventory, etc. Please, if you ever feel something weird is going on, let us know by emailing us at customerservice@guitarcenter.com or you can reach me directly at jcole@guitarcenter.com or 818.735.8800 ext 2115.

In response to some of the other comments, please remember that we often have unopened inventory in the warehouse so if you like the guitar you're playing but want one new in a box, we may have one in back. If not, we can probably grab one for you from another store. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly. I'm happy to help anytime.

I stay away from GC. I went there about 10 years ago and asked about their tube amps. The sales guy said "a what?" I said "tube amps", he said "I have no idea what that it, let me get the manager".

Another time a sales guy told me that PRS was owned by Gibson. I told him "No, I think you have the Ted McCarty issue confused". He then told me that Mr McCarty owned both Gibson and PRS.

I have dealt with too many uneducated people there, so I stay away. I will pay extra money to smaller shops with deeper passion and commitment to their craft.

I've had mostly good experiences with GC over the years. The times that things weren't good haven't been any worse than bad experiences in other retail outlets.

Things we buy have overall gone down in quality just as the knowledge of those that sell the stuff to us. General terms here, guys/gals. I've some GREAT experiences at GCs over the last years too.

I ALWAYS do my research BEFORE I go anywhere to purchase anything. I would never rely on what a salesperson tells me about fit/function and I would know what good prices are and aren't in advance as well.

Hey @Brannon67 and everyone. My name is Jeremy Cole and I'm the Director of Sales Programs for Guitar Center. I wanted to jump in and try to clarify the statement above. After receiving a guitar and case from Gibson, Guitar Center does separate the guitar and the case into two separate pieces of inventory. However, the price of the two items add up to the same price posted on the Gibson website for the pair as one item. We separate the guitar and case so we can better track inventory, etc. Please, if you ever feel something weird is going on, let us know by emailing us at customerservice@guitarcenter.com or you can reach me directly at jcole@guitarcenter.com or 818.735.8800 ext 2115.

In response to some of the other comments, please remember that we often have unopened inventory in the warehouse so if you like the guitar you're playing but want one new in a box, we may have one in back. If not, we can probably grab one for you from another store. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly. I'm happy to help anytime.

Another service of this forum. Jeremy hearing about the GC thread and stepping up, in person, to address our concerns!

Thanks Jeremy.

After receiving a guitar and case from Gibson, Guitar Center does separate the guitar and the case into two separate pieces of inventory. However, the price of the two items add up to the same price posted on the Gibson website for the pair as one item. We separate the guitar and case so we can better track inventory, etc.

Yes, going back to 2001, that has always been true of every Gibson I've purchased from GC, including situations where GC's price was even lower than the typical selling price from other retailers. If a local GC store is screwing up, it's easy enough to challenge & correct via prices on the web, including their own site.

I've purchased thousands of dollars of guitars and music related items from Guitar Center. Nope, they're not perfect. A lot depends on the store's staff. I don't recall any problems with cases on the purchase of Gibsons, Martins, Breedloves. It may happen at other stores, but where I shop it hasn't, at least not to me. Another thing is that YOU have to be able to work for the price. If you want to go in and pay the regular price, sale price, special price, Christmas price, whatever price, then that's fine, but I go in knowing they can take more off of it. There's an art to getting the price you want. I'm not perfect at it, but I almost always get more money off of an item than they say they can sell it for. If they won't do it, then I have a choice of whither or not I want to spend my money. I have no problem going home with my money. There's always "tomorrow.".....And as stated earlier, having the cash means something. Cash is KING. I've also had no issues with them matching someone else's prices. They do it all the time and it's up to me to decide if I still want to pay that for that particular instrument, or do I want a new one out of the warehouse (which I can still play before I take it home)..........As far as the internet goes, so far we can definitely save money on the tax. However, that is gradually coming to an end and it may be sooner than we think. Politicians need money to spend and the internet is a big target for money in state assemblies and The U.S. Senate and House.......Beyond that, GC is the big boy on the block and catches most of the criticism. Some of it goes with the territory. Some of it is deserved. Some of it is exaggerated. Either way, it's up to each person to decide where they spend their money.

I've been getting very good deals from my local GC lately.

Plus they added on an experienced luthier who I've used quite a few times.

I guess it depends on the location and the manager.

I stop by mine at least once a week.

Early last year they had one in house I wanted, but not the shop worn one.

They ordered one from their warehouse and had me check out before taking it.

A couple months ago I got an unbelievable deal on a J200 Custom.

Their in store inventory lacks some for my taste but I understand that their bread & butter is selling quantities of the more affordable guitars.

A few years ago I would get upset because I could not work out deals with them. I've sinced learned to wait until the deals come up.

I've bought tons of stuff including a J-185 from Musician's Friend, which is the same as Guitar Center. The brick and mortar stores are a welcome place to try out guitars, though you have to go at the right time or listen to terrible but painfully loud playing. It depends on the store. Some are great. Most of the sales people have no clue about specs, availability, anything.

Jeremy - I'm really surprised and happy to see you here. This is awesome.

In case you haven't picked up on this, I want to point out the glaringly obvious to you. The people in the stores will make or break your efforts. Also, if I may add, for the most part we're smart enough to know when the deals aren't really.

Thanks for being here and making it known.

I'll stick up for Guitar Center.

The one in Townsend, Maryland has been great to deal with and no, I don't work there or even know anyone there other than to say hello.

Each store will be different and you'll also have good people, mediocre people and complete pinheads working there, too.

I don't do much business with them but they've always been good to me. I bought a Les Paul, an ES-335, a couple of acoustics and a Marshall head there. No complaints. I'll run down and see what they have in the way of Firebirds when the time comes, too. We'll see.

YMMV, as they say.

My GC in Whitehall, Pennsylvania, carries almost NO GIBSONS. They only seem to carry the Hummingbird PRO which was made for GC and seldom anything else. The GC people there in Whitehall, Pa, told me they don't ever sell many Gibsons because nobody wants them, and they sound bad, and then the guitar sits around and gets marked, banged up, and ruined by customers and they end up getting stuck with a loser guitar. Gibsons are rare as diamonds there. Never seen a single Hummingbird, or J-200 or many others in over 10 years there. I want to play a Hummingbird, but they refused, telling me if I want it, I must order it in, because they will never carry it. Sad.

I worked in retail sales for a couple of years while finishing school. I was 24 in an upscale department store in an upscale neighborhood. I came to the conclusion that approximately 90% of the customers were nice! friendly and down to earth. But 5% had unreasonable expectations. (The other 5% were just too weird to fit in either category. )

Those with unreasonable expectations seemed to believe because they were buying a top of the line vacuum cleaner, they should get a free package of bags. Some would buy a set of China for a party and return it a week later after the party. This was obvious, because they bragged about it to their friends in front of me when buying it and returning it. Some would get lawn furniture in June and return it in August. Some would get 5 fondue pots for a party and return them the next day. And, some would expect me to know which vacuum was best for cat hair.

So, in addition to a college degree, I learned that there are some people who are basically buttheads. It took me awhile longer to realize you can't change them.

Flash forward 40 years...I bought a beautiful H'Bird TV a couple of year ago I found on the GC website sitting in used inventory in Southern California. It was a fair price and in like new condition when UPS delivered it. The original purchaser only had it a month or so. I was told he did this regularly until he found "the one". I guess he thinks of guitars like some people think of fondue pots. But I benefited. And so did GC. I still have the guitar and they still have my money.

I took a couple of really nice guitars into GC as trade consideration. They disappeared into the back with the "expert" who after 15 or 20 minutes of leaving me dangling in the store, returned with an insulting offer. I went on to sell the instruments for fair market value and vowed never to drop even one dime in a GC. I will always seek out independently owned stores which is why I have have bought 4 brand new Gibsons and a Martin from Fullers over the years. When I found out GC was owned by Bain Capitol I try to not even drive by the stores. I have no use for them as there are too many more palatable alternatives.

I took a couple of really nice guitars into GC as trade consideration. They disappeared into the back with the "expert" who after 15 or 20 minutes of leaving me dangling in the store, returned with an insulting offer. I went on to sell the instruments for fair market value and vowed never to drop even one dime in a GC. I will always seek out independently owned stores which is why I have have bought 4 brand new Gibsons and a Martin from Fullers over the years. When I found out GC was owned by Bain Capitol I try to not even drive by the stores. I have no use for them as there are too many more palatable alternatives.

Wow. So what is "Bain Capital" that I need to cross the street to avoid?

Wow. So what is "Bain Capital" that I need to cross the street to avoid?

Please don't go there. We really need to avoid opening up political "discussions" here. They solve nothing, and have sweet Fannie Adams to do with guitars.

Now, everybody back to their corners.

Please don't go there. We really need to avoid opening up political "discussions" here. They solve nothing, and have sweet Fannie Adams to do with guitars.

Now, everybody back to their corners.

Oh. Sorry Nick. I assumed that many here might be interested in what Bain Capital had to do with GC.

But, then should you not have addressed your guidance to the person I was asking for clarification -if that is where the political content originated?

(Is this what they call a "point of order" in a court of law? )

Oh. Sorry Nick. I assumed that many here might be interested in what Bain Capital had to do with GC.

But, then should you not have addressed your guidance to the person I was asking for clarification -if that is where the political content originated?

(Is this what they call a "point of order" in a court of law? )

I stand mute on the topic....

You might want to PM him your question, rather than raise it here, if it's important.

All I can say is that I bought my Martin and my Gibson at the Seattle GC and they were great. They didn't mislead me on the price, I didn't try to haggle with them, but I didn't mind, in each case they ordered a new guitar for me and let me choose whether I wanted the floor model or the new one (and the floor ones actually sounded better and were kept in great condition).

I think it depends on the store and they are obviously out to make sales and make money, but the Seattle store was fine.

I have bought two guitars fon local Guitar Center.Greensboro, NC. 1 AJ and 1- 00015M. They discounted both guitars below list with a simple "Can you help me on the price". The AJ had a problem with the bridge and they had me a new guitar in three days. Sometimes it is just the people you deal with at the store. I have always dealt with store manager.

Archived