Gibson Brands Forums

1954 Gibson Acoustic

Greetings all! I need some help trying to find out some info on a Gibson acoustic guitar I was given by a family friend. I am looking for any info you have to offer...model, wood type, etc.

Here is what I do know as of right now...

1. Based on the Facotry Order Number (FON = X7360 16) it is a 1954.

2. The Gibson factory repair shop thinks it shows signs of previous repair and that it might be a low-end LG model (but which one?).

3. "Gibson" is hand-written on the inside near the neck block.

4. The guitar is in pretty rough shape...neck and fretboard need to be re-done and the tuners need to be replaced, at a minmum.

Can anyone help me?

Also, what is the best way to upload pictures to this forum? Everytime I try to upload one it tells me the file is too big. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Definitely needs some work but the guitar itself looks to be pretty clean as far as cracks.

From what you show you cannot tell what all it needs.

Don't put too much into it if you're looking at the monetary value because these are not that collectable or valuable.

If it's sentimental, it may cost you as much to fix it as it's worth.

Regardless, take it to a good luthier to get it looked over and get a idea what you're getting into.

OR

Just slap some strings on it and enjoy it.

That must be a first-year LG-O, if it's a 1954. It has a combination of features that I didn't think were characteristics of the LG-O: two-piece back, teardrop pickguard, belly-down bridge, 19-fret neck.

Interesting guitar, very different--and much earlier--than the typical LG-O. If it were not for the tortoise celluloid binding and top that looks somewhat like mahogany, I would have guess a re-finished LG-1.

Thanks slimt, Dave F and j45nick! Any potential repairs will definitely cost more than the guitar is worth. For me it's worth it to restore it for sentimental reasons...since a family friend gave it to me for nothing and I'd like hand it down to my kids some day.

Thanks again for the info and thoughts on my guitar!

Archived