Gibson Brands Forums

SG Original - ugly gap around tenon cover

trapdoorspider

Everyone's been saying such great things about the "SG Original" model that I bought one. I got it online, so I didn't get a chance to inspect the guitar beforehand (I know, I know).

Well, it IS a great guitar, with beautiful woodgrain, a very dark fretboard, and those wonderfully sharp cutaways. Just one little thing. What's with the ugly gap between the end of the fretboard and that little black plastic tenon cover? [confused]

I have a bunch of 61 Reissues, from different years and in different colors, so I tried other tenon covers. Nope, they're all exactly the same size, so they don't cover the gap either. Apparently the neck on my "SG Original" just isn't inserted quite as far into the body as my other guitars. Maybe that's part of the "original" specs, ha ha. And it wouldn't be so obvious on this one, if the tenon itself was stained the same dark cherry as the body. (I check my other Gibsons, and they're the same way. How, and when, do they stain these things?)

Anyway, just wanted to share (and yes, gripe a little). Any suggestions for improving how this looks? (I know, it's just a little thing, but for the relatively high price of this model, I really expected better workmanship than this).

Original-tenoncovergap2_zpsbeec8ec3.jpg

Gosh, sorry to hear (and see) this. [tongue] I didn't remember any of my

SG's (all bought this past year) having this problem, but I just

double checked it, to be sure. And, NONE of them have that gap!

The tenon cover butts right up against the end of the fingerboard

binding. No space, at all. So...??? If you love the guitar, in

all other aspects, you could just use some transparent paint, of

a similar tint (or, even a red and brown magic maker, to get the

color more like the rest of the body stain. IF, however, it really

bother's you, I'd return it, for a replacement. My SG "Original"

had a bad Maestro, but was otherwise Awesome, in every other way.

Gibson, simply replace the Maestro, in total, shipped the unit to

my dealer, and they installed it, while I waited. It's been flaw-

less, ever since. So, things happen. You could have a trophy

shop, make a new tenon cover, that would fit the guitar you have.

That's always an option, as well.

Good Luck, on whatever you decide to do! [thumbup]

CB

Is the intonation good up/down the neck?

How do various measurements from the nut compare to the others?

Cosmetically it's not *that* bad to me, but I would be concerned about whether or not it was properly assembled. If all from the same year look the same, then I wouldn't care so much. If yours is different you'll need to decide whether "complications" in future sales/trades are something you're concerned about.

IMO, the gap shouldn't be there regardless of price.

After comparison with pictures and SGs of my own, I think the neck setting is correct when viewing the 22st fret's position. So I assume that tenon cover, pickups, pickguard, possibly bridge and lyra tailpiece are shifted a bit towards the lower bout.

I don't dare to tell from a far if I tended to put up with that or returned it. :unsure:

My Original has that same gap. When I brought it up to Sweetwater they went and checked the 1 other they had in stock and it had it also.

I was going to try to make a new spacer, but never bothered. The guitar plays great and it's barely noticeable.

It dawned on me while typing this that a little black sharpie would make it disappear.

My Original has that same gap. When I brought it up to Sweetwater they went and checked the 1 other they had in stock and it had it also.

I was going to try to make a new spacer, but never bothered. The guitar plays great and it's barely noticeable.

It dawned on me while typing this that a little black sharpie would make it disappear.

Sweetwater has had it's share of defective Gibson guitars and they do nothing about it even when called on it. They feel since Gibson sent it out, it must be right. This is from personal experience, however, I will say they take items back if you are not satisfied but rest assured it will be back for sale in a couple of days after they received it. (just like my j200)

I understand there won't be any tuning issues (as the bridge will take care of that) but, still, it looks like a bad manufacturing flaw to me.

Considering how elegant the design is when it's right that would bother me enough for me to send it back for a replacement.

P.

@cjsinla - Thanks!

I wonder how many have the gap vs don't?

I will say mine's not going anywhere. It's too good of a player to be upset by a tiny flaw. I'll probably take a Sharpie to it at the next string change.

Yes, they are great, very fun to play.

@cjsinla - Thanks!

I wonder how many have the gap vs don't?

I will say mine's not going anywhere. It's too good of a player to be upset by a tiny flaw. I'll probably take a Sharpie to it at the next string change.

I cross my fingers for your Heritage Cherry Sharpie matching the SG's finish as close as possible. B)

Again, most "Trophy shops," could make you a very suitable replacement,

that was just a bit wider (top to bottom=neck to pickup width), quite

reasonably! Or, if you're handy with a Dremel, and some plastic polish,

you could do it yourself.

CB

Will check out a trophy shop - great idea!

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy!

It's been a LOOOOONG Time since I've been on this forum...but I wanted to jump on this because I literally just got my Original yesterday and I am in love!

I am sorry that yours has a gap!

Here is a pic of mine...

I hope that you got everything straightened out!

They are a fantastic piece of machinery!

post-3999-045027900 1391105482_thumb.jpg

Howdy!

It's been a LOOOOONG Time since I've been on this forum...but I wanted to jump on this because I literally just got my Original yesterday and I am in love!

I am sorry that yours has a gap!

Here is a pic of mine...

I hope that you got everything straightened out!

They are a fantastic piece of machinery!

Congratulations, on your SG "Original" purchase! They ARE excellent SG's, in every sense!

How about some more photos, of your new "baby!" [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Congratulations, on your SG "Original" purchase! They ARE excellent SG's, in every sense!

How about some more photos, of your new "baby!" [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

will do!

I need to upload some on photobucket first!

God I love that new guitar smell!!!!!!

let me add a few after lunch!

My first Gibson SG...I had an old Ventura SG copy...and I wasn't sold on the style for the longest time...but after years of trying to get Les Pauls that I could connect with...I saw these and just fell in love!

I should have made this move earlier!

It adds a nice complement to my tele...

Love Love it!

will do!

I need to upload some on photobucket first!

God I love that new guitar smell!!!!!!

let me add a few after lunch!

My first Gibson SG...I had an old Ventura SG copy...and I wasn't sold on the style for the longest time...but after years of trying to get Les Pauls that I could connect with...I saw these and just fell in love!

I should have made this move earlier!

It adds a nice complement to my tele...

Love Love it!

here you guys go!

I have added a couple with the fam!

I have a thing for tremolo arms...

photo2-1.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mine doesn't have the gap. It was pretty much flawless except the nut was too high and had to be recut. I could nail the intonation all the way up the neck past the 5th fret but from the 5th to the 1st it became progressively sharper. Open chords sounded like crap.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/thanksbutnothanks/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Mine doesn't have the gap. It was pretty much flawless except the nut was too high and had to be recut. I could nail the intonation all the way up the neck past the 5th fret but from the 5th to the 1st it became progressively sharper. Open chords sounded like crap.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/thanksbutnothanks/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

So much for "Plek'd" nuts, huh? [tongue]:rolleyes:

CB

Archived