Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V help for a newbie

j.dub

Hi guys;

First let me say, I am a Fender guy and don't know much about Gibsons, so please let me apologize in advance for any really dumb questions.

I am looking at a Flying V at a local shop that is a 2004 in gloss-cherry with the original hard case. Really good shape, no real nicks or scuffs or fret wear, plays like champ, neck as straight and flat as a Kansas highway. Sounds fantastic. Love it! The shop wants to move it, they are at $750.

So here's the problem, when I look on Ebay to see what they are going for, prices are all over the place. It's like there are all different kinds of flying V's and I don't know which is which or if this is a fair price. Sometimes I look at one that I think is "just like," what I'm looking at and it went for $1000, sometimes I see one that went for $600, but it looks like the finish is not glossy or it may be the "faded," finish in that case. Does the finish effect the value that much? Is there a way to tell which V this is besides the finish? Is $750 a fair price for the glossy one? Lot's of questions.... I feel lost.

Also, on a side note, I have always thought of the V as a "metal," guitar. I am not a metal guy at all, but I absolutely love the way this guitar plays and sounds. Just out of curiosity are most of you V players more toward the metal side of the spectrum? Or am I just being a dork and pigeon holing this great instrument where it doesn't belong? Just curious.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

jw

You are on the right track about faded versus glossy, the glossy version is the standard version with full finish and hence more expensive. They also come with a case, the faded version comes with a gig bag from factory.

And I hear you on the price, some fadeds go for like $450 all of the sudden.

Vs nowadays come with hot pickups but they are more in the vein of Hard Rock than the are modern Metal. If you buy it I would recommend a capacitor change for a paper in oil cap to sweeten the tone a tiny bit.

These guitars Vs and Explorers appealed to Metal guys because of the fret access and the balance is ideal to rock out not to mention the looks but there are a lot of blues players that used them, like Albert King, Joe Bonamassa, Lonnie Mack and well Grace Potter.

Hi guys;

First let me say, I am a Fender guy and don't know much about Gibsons, so please let me apologize in advance for any really dumb questions.

I am looking at a Flying V at a local shop that is a 2004 in gloss-cherry with the original hard case. Really good shape, no real nicks or scuffs or fret wear, plays like champ, neck as straight and flat as a Kansas highway. Sounds fantastic. Love it! The shop wants to move it, they are at $750.

So here's the problem, when I look on Ebay to see what they are going for, prices are all over the place. It's like there are all different kinds of flying V's and I don't know which is which or if this is a fair price. Sometimes I look at one that I think is "just like," what I'm looking at and it went for $1000, sometimes I see one that went for $600, but it looks like the finish is not glossy or it may be the "faded," finish in that case. Does the finish effect the value that much? Is there a way to tell which V this is besides the finish? Is $750 a fair price for the glossy one? Lot's of questions.... I feel lost.

Also, on a side note, I have always thought of the V as a "metal," guitar. I am not a metal guy at all, but I absolutely love the way this guitar plays and sounds. Just out of curiosity are most of you V players more toward the metal side of the spectrum? Or am I just being a dork and pigeon holing this great instrument where it doesn't belong? Just curious.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

jw

The recent version of that guitar with the gloss finish had a list price of about $1700 to $1800. The newest ones did not have rosewood for the neck, they used grenadillo. I bought one as a closeout/scratch and dent for about $800 but they had been going for about $1250 just prior to that. $750 is not bad for an original Gibson Flying V with a rosewood board and gloss finish. I don't think they are making it right now and were calling it a 1969 reissue if I remember correctly.

Just out of curiosity are most of you V players more toward the metal side of the spectrum?

I can only speak for myself, but the sole reason the only electric guitar I own right now is a Flying V is because of Michael Schenker [biggrin]

...and although I enjoy listening to metal music, I don't necessarily wanna play it...atleast not al the time [-X

I tend to lean towards the 70s side of music [love]

The V is ultra popular with metalheads. I also play a V, but I got bored with metal in high school -- I'm all about the 1st wave of rock and roll/R&B. I also play blues, country, and I suck at jazz.

All guitars are very versatile. Play the one that feels right in your hands. Whether you want to fit in or stand out, that is up to you.

All guitars are very versatile. Play the one that feels right in your hands. Whether you want to fit in or stand out, that is up to you.

+1

Though I own neither of them, I found out by trying that Flying Vs and Explorers provide very convenient support for the striking hand's forearm. Combined with large fretboard radius and easy fret access, this makes them excellent players.

The V is ultra popular with metalheads. I also play a V, but I got bored with metal in high school -- I'm all about the 1st wave of rock and roll/R&B. I also play blues, country, and I suck at jazz.

I agree with this as well, Play what you are comfortable with. Look at Grace Potter She Rocks a V.

Gina Stiles(Vixen), Still plays her old beat to crap Snake head guitar in her new band Thunderboxx.

Some of these older Blues guys that still Car tour and pick up backing bands along the way, play some of the Crappiest gear out there and Still make it sing.

While I was in the throws of the Psycobilly scene, I was playing a Les Paul junior, whilst all the other Bands were sporting full hollow, and semis.

I was one of the only guitarists that DIDN'T have feed back issues.....

So play what ya like and to hell with what everyone else thinks....

Archived