Gibson Brands Forums

1967 Gibson 330

pocaloc

Hey, I don't know if this is the right area to post a question regarding a 1967 330. I don't think I saw a vintage area. Anyway, I'm looking at a 67 330 in pretty good shape, other than a professionally restored head stock break with the back of the neck then professionally refinished. They want $2395 for the guitar. I can't find one even close to that price, although when I was looking about a year ago, I seemed to find plenty late 60s models in the $2200 range. I was curious are all late 60s models equipped with ultra thin necks, or does that vary? Thanks for any information you can give me.

They tend to vary more in depth than nut width - and if you find one with a nice C shape they can be pretty comfortable, narrow or not.

Personally I think people make way too much of a fuss over a well repaired headstock break that follows the wood grain. It's worth baring in mind that many people insist on a guitar's value being halved by a headstock break - this doesn't stack up when you look at dealer prices, with two thirds being closer to average. But if you were to sell this guitar further down the line be prepared for a lot of people telling you it needs to be cheaper. A no issues '66 ES-330 should be fairly easy to find around the $3500-$4000 range, and I've seen them lower than that from time to time even from dealers.

That said, my '65 cost about the same as this one and is riddled with issues: Refinished neck, oversprayed body, Schallers, Bigsby and black paint on the pick up covers. At the time I could have afforded a good condition example and the dealer had a couple more I was looking at to directly compare to, but I fell in love with this one and it's still the best electric guitar I've ever played. I don't really care what its resale value is because it's going to the grave with me! So, if you like the look of this guitar, and it's within the budget you want to spend, it could well be a great buy for you.

Remember if you can't play before purchase to check out the dealer's return policy, just in case you can't get on with the neck.

Is $2395 to much to pay for a 67 330 with a repaired headstock break. It looks like an excellent repair. I'm looking for a player, but don't want to be stuck with something that is an unwise use of funds that won't hold it's value.

Is it the Olivia's Vintage guitar by any chance?

If you're buying from a high end dealer, generally you'll be paying a premium for the privilege. Olivia's seem generally to be at the top end of price brackets, which may well be justified by their reputation as a well known vintage dealer. I suspect a private Ebay auction on a sunburst '67 with a headstock break and Schallers would be more in the $1500-2000 range, so I wouldn't recommend this as an investment piece. If you're buying a player guitar and it's a great example, it may well be worth the money to you and it won't depreciate any more than a guitar bought new.

If you want to buy something you stand a reasonable chance of making your money back on, I'd probably hold off and look for a clean guitar at the low end of the price ranges for this model, and go for the earliest year you can afford. There's a Cherry '65 on Gbase that is well under $4000 which would be a reasonable buy, and quickly scanning the prices for '66 - '68 models the prices seem a little lower than last time I looked, so a shade over $3000 could land you an issue free example.

If you can't afford these, are buying over the internet so can't try the guitar before committing and don't want one of the very good recent reissues, my vote would be go for the Lark St example I mentioned before, get some decent replacement P90s and some more sensible tuners. I think that would stand more chance of recouping the purchase price should you sell it than a guitar with a headstock repair.

Archived