Gibson Brands Forums

Advice please

brannon67

Guys, I have a chance to get a new Gibson Advanced Jumbo guitar for $1889 with case out the door at Guitar Center(ok, I may cave in this one time to GC) but I have to trade a PRS Starla(original, not an S2) and Larrivee L03-12 which I like, but its a pain to work on and change strings, etc. What would you guys do. If I dont act soon, the AJ will be gone. I have played it,and its a good player and sounds great. Advice please....

For me, I never purchase anything with the "I gotta have it" thinking or I overpay. IMHO, the price pretty high if you have to hand over almost $1900.00 & two guitar to boot. I'm presuming this is a AJ standard or is it one of the new more custom versions? I don't reckon I'd pay over $1800 for a used standard AJ in like new shape. That's not dis'n the AJ model. You can buy Hummingbirds, Doves, J-45 Customs etc. used for that. This is of course if it's just recent product stuff. In the last 2 years I've bought several new guitars that were discounted to the MSRP of $3000 for just over $2000.00. NEW w/ warranty & not dicked up guitars. But that's just me. Figure out what you think you can easily sell the other two gits for and add to the price of the AJ. That might make the guitar close to $2500 if you can only get $300 each for the guitars. Is the AJ worth that to you? That is the question I can't answer. For me NOT for $2500 used. Hope this helps ya.

Guys, I have a chance to get a new Gibson Advanced Jumbo guitar for $1889 with case out the door at Guitar Center(ok, I may cave in this one time to GC) but I have to trade a PRS Starla(original, not an S2) and Larrivee L03-12 which I like, but its a pain to work on and change strings, etc. What would you guys do. If I dont act soon, the AJ will be gone. I have played it,and its a good player and sounds great. Advice please....

2 guitars and 1900 hundred, nah I'd wait keep looking you never know what's out there.

True, I agree with all of you, it is a little steep in price. How about this, an 09 J50 in ex shape for $1499? Guy said he could trade even. All I can find out is the frade in value for the PRS is around $800, and the Larrivee is about $700. Thats at GC also.

I think if you had to come on here and ask people to convince you whether to buy it or not says it all. Wait until you find the one that you love, there won't be any questions then... except maybe where's my wallet? [biggrin]

Ha, true

Well, the AJ and the J50 are two completely different animals. Sounds like you just want a Gibson acoustic. I'd go with the AJ but look for a used one. They are out there in the $1500.00 range. Buy used and sell your PRS and put the $ in your pocket. I would never do a trade in with GC. They are thieves and will give you nothing near what your trade in would bring if you sold it yourself. Slow down and don't make a several hundred dollar mistake.

Here's one worth a look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-GIBSON-ADVANCED-JUMBO-VINTAGE-FEATURES-/291053715536?pt=Guitar&hash=item43c4274050

Here's one on Gbase:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-advanced-jumbo-2011-sunburst

True, your right. Abut the PRS, I like it, its great, but I have not had an amp in over 3 years. Just never plug in anymore for some reason. When I had the amp, I would mayby plug in one time a month, mayby. Thats pathetic. When I play, I just grab an acoustic nowadays. Nothing agains electric guitars, I love them, always will, but never plugging in makes me think its a waste of time having an electric in the house. I dont know.

True, your right. Abut the PRS, I like it, its great, but I have not had an amp in over 3 years. Just never plug in anymore for some reason. When I had the amp, I would mayby plug in one time a month, mayby. Thats pathetic. When I play, I just grab an acoustic nowadays. Nothing agains electric guitars, I love them, always will, but never plugging in makes me think its a waste of time having an electric in the house. I dont know.

No amp.... find a Line 6 pod and use head phones... One of those is cheap... You could sell the guitar for 8 or 9 ... and still pay less for a AJ.... Ajs are nice .. but not that nice to overpay for one..

Sell it yourself or look to do a trade on one of the forums. I had a sweet Tele, a Swart amp, Love pedals, electric gak up the ying yang. Never plugged just like you said. Sold it all myself and went back to all acoustic without another thought.

Well, the AJ and the J50 are two completely different animals. Sounds like you just want a Gibson acoustic. I'd go with the AJ but look for a used one. They are out there in the $1500.00 range. Buy used and sell your PRS and put the $ in your pocket. I would never do a trade in with GC. They are thieves and will give you nothing near what your trade in would bring if you sold it yourself. Slow down and don't make a several hundred dollar mistake.

Here's one worth a look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-GIBSON-ADVANCED-JUMBO-VINTAGE-FEATURES-/291053715536?pt=Guitar&hash=item43c4274050

Here's one on Gbase:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-advanced-jumbo-2011-sunburst

Well actually I have a J45, but I would have them both if I could afford them. Actually I would have a whole stable of Gibson acoustics if I could afford them. Thats my problem. I have to get them one at a time when I do get them and make payments on them.

Archived