Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
atj13

Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pro for 339?

I have an Epi 339 Pro on the way (have been waiting ages) and I saw on our local auction site a set of SD Alnico 2 Pro humbuckers with 4 conductor wiring, would these be a good option for a 339 Pro? I know that the 'spin a split' mod would be a good option instead of straight coil splitting so this is interesting also.

First, congrats on the incoming 339.

The 339 has the new Probuckers right? Those are A5 magnet based and are a little toward the brighter side of PAF type pickups. They also happen to be very good pickups.

The A2s are, obviously A2 magnet based. They are a little darker sounding.

To be honest, the new Probuckers sound probably every bit as good as the Duncans, so it's more a matter of whether you like the sound or feel it needs to darken up a bit.

FWIW, I also have the Epi 339 Pro...I'd give the pickups a try before making any decisions...I have 57's in my 2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional, a Gibson 490/498 set in my Epi Standard and the Gibson Burstbucker 2 & 3 in my Epi JB...with that being said, I haven't seen any reason to switch out the pickups in the 339...fact is I think they sound pretty darn good...later.

cowboy123

Update, it now looks likely that I will have an Ultra model rather than the Pro. The smaller chain store that was supposed to order the Pro back in September missed the boat with the Australian distributor (I saw their stock list and as soon as the Cherry Pro was in stock I phoned them and said 'push the button now')LSS I told the store to 'forget it'as they have done nothing about it. They now tell me another 6 to 8 weeks wait and another $100 as the cost has gone up. I have made contact with the major chain and they have offered me an Ultra for a very good price so I think I will take that one as long as its not a display model with store damage. Pisses me off to have to deal with the other chain as I have spent some good money with them over the years. Anyhow if I have this right the Ultra has Pro Buckers which are Alnico 2 magnets so that will be interesting. The only thing that concerns me a little is all the electronics, I just hope they are reliable long term.

I think you'll like the ProBuckers. I have a GFS Alnico 2 humbucker in the neck of my Italia solid body and I love it. Has the attack of a single coil with the compressed sustain of a humbucker. Should sound nice on a semi-hollow.