Gibson Brands Forums

stock pickups, you like them?

mud guy

I have a 92 sheraton from the samick plant. I think the wiring has been upgraded (I bought it used). The pickups are stock. The tinkerer in me wants to upgrade the pickups , but whenever I play the guitar I really love what I hear. Anyone else preferring the stock pickups ?

Depends on the guitar/pickups. I've had some that I didn't like and changed, and others that I liked. I like the P90's that are in my LP Special and have no intention of swapping them out. But I know what you mean, I'm a tinkerer too and like modding my guitars sometimes just for the fun of it.

In most of my guitars are the stock pickups since I love them. There seems no need for me to replace any of the Epiphone, Ibanez or Gibson guitar pickups.

I replaced those of two Gibson EB 2013 basses with passive EMGs having less string pull, those of all of my four Fender HSS Floyd Rose Stratocasters and of one of my three Fender Nashville Power Telecasters with different Fender SSS noiseless ones. The Strats also have new SSS scratchplates, routed for Floyd Rose use.

I like the pups in my G400, Dot, and SG JR. (P90)

But the ones that came in my Korean 1997 Epi LP were horrible! I did everything possible to try and keep them.

But they had to go. It was a huge improvement.

Depends on the guitar/pickups.

That's the way I look at it. Take one at a time.

I didn't care for the older '57 and '57 Hot CH that came in my '05 Les Paul.

I replaced them with GFS Vintage '59s.

As inexpensive as the GFS were the difference was like night and day.

They sounded very similar...but...

They were much more clear and defined.

I can only imagine the difference had I gone with something more expensive like Duncans.

Some pickup replacements I have done (for myself and others) have been for changing the overall sound.

P-90 size hums are sometimes enjoyed in the neck position of a Lester. (provides for a nice rounded sound when desired.)

Willy

I've had kinda hit and miss experiences with Epi pickups.

The Probuckers are real nice but the majority of the regular Alnico Classics I've had were dogs.

P90s are probably the best pickup they offer, though some are so overwound as to be useless.

The modern mini humbucker is average.

In the past, I have not been crazy about Epi humbuckers that came on my Les Paul Classic and SG 310. I changed out both guitars with appropriate Gibson humbuckers and pots and switches.

Having said that, I have recently acquired an SG-Pro and a Riviera Custom P93 Black Pearl, and I could not be happier with the pickups that came in them.

YMMV

Pete

I would also think it depends on the specific guitar and probably on the era it was made.

My 1995 Samick Joe Pass improved pretty much from a pickup swap in the neck position.

My 2003 Saein Sheraton II was not sounding bad stock, but improved greatly with a new harness and Gibson classic 57/57+

Lately I swapped the Joe Pass stock bridge pickup that sounded so thin for the stock one I took from the Sheraton to a good result.

Archived