Gibson Brands Forums

Es-330 VOS thoughts/pictures

E_danylycha

The 330L is definitely my first choice. The high fret access is great, but I've heard they are more fragile.

There has historically been a concern about the original long neck 330s, but I'm not aware of any concerns with the recent 330L. The instrument was discussed in detail on the LP forum when first released, with contributions from members of the design team. I believe they were well aware of problems associated with the originals.

I have a 2010 330L and a 2012 330-VOS. They are very different animals, and each instrument has appealing features that makes it a pleasure to own and play. Having both is by far the best way to go!

There has historically been a concern about the original long neck 330s, but I'm not aware of any concerns with the recent 330L. The instrument was discussed in detail on the LP forum when first released, with contributions from members of the design team. I believe they were well aware of problems associated with the originals.

I have a 2010 330L and a 2012 330-VOS. They are very different animals, and each instrument has appealing features that makes it a pleasure to own and play. Having both is by far the best way to go!

Hi bobouz. Is your 2012 330 VOS one of the late '50's reissues?

Hi bobouz. Is your 2012 330 VOS one of the late '50's reissues?

Alan - At that time, I don't recall the 2012 model officially being called a '50s reissue - but the text would say something like "based on a 1950s ES-330" in describing the guitar's features. It's the natural finished first version, with a stamped "T" serial number (which yours appears to have as well). The 2013 had the two-piece top (changed back to a one-piece later in the year), and the 2014 had a number of subtle changes, including a tweak to the pickups. Now apparently it's gone after only a three year run!

Alan - At that time, I don't recall the 2012 model officially being called a '50s reissue - but the text would say something like "based on a 1950s ES-330" in describing the guitar's features. It's the natural finished first version, with a stamped "T" serial number (which yours appears to have as well). The 2013 had the two-piece top (changed back to a one-piece later in the year), and the 2014 had a number of subtle changes, including a tweak to the pickups. Now apparently it's gone after only a three year run!

Thanks bobouz. I would have liked a natural but the vintage sunburst was all they had at the time. Sorry to hear that Gibson have discontinued production but I'm sure they'll re-release cos they are so nice.

Thanks bobouz. I would have liked a natural but the vintage sunburst was all they had at the time. Sorry to hear that Gibson have discontinued production but I'm sure they'll re-release cos they are so nice.

By the way, Bobouz, production hasn't stopped just yet. I spoke with the very man behind the ES-330 reissue, Mike Voltz, at this weekend's NAMM Show in Los Angeles and I asked how long they would keep making them, given that it says "Limited Run" on the website. He responded that it would depend on ongoing sales. But he didn't state that they've stopped yet...

By the way, Bobouz, production hasn't stopped just yet. I spoke with the very man behind the ES-330 reissue, Mike Voltz, at this weekend's NAMM Show in Los Angeles and I asked how long they would keep making them, given that it says "Limited Run" on the website. He responded that it would depend on ongoing sales. But he didn't state that they've stopped yet...

Good news indeed - such a great guitar!

My recent acquisition. It's one of the current '59 reissues. A bit of a rare bird, as they don't actually offer it in Sunburst with the Bigsby, but apparently, they've made a small run or two of 'bursts with a Bigsby.

Damn, it's SO sweet! The neck is slightly larger than I'd like, but aside from that, this is one of the nicest guitars I've ever had the pleasure of playing/owning/holding.

PS. How do I include these pics, rather than thumbnails that you have to click on?

post-69162-041110500 1422750407_thumb.jpg

post-69162-044042800 1422750420_thumb.jpg

Hi

Haven't been in this forum for a while - spending more time playing my 335 than in front of a laptop these days! (Wish the extra time with the guitar led to an increase in my abilities though!!)

My 335 has pretty much become my favourite guitar in my collection but I recently saw a very nice 330 advertised on the website of one of NZ's biggest music retailers and really have a fancy for this instrument.

Apparently they only bring one of these into the country at a time due to the very limited market for expensive instruments here so I can't actually play the instrument before being pretty much committed to buying it - that's the downside to living in such an isolated part of the world!

However, the description of the guitar calls it a VOS finish. What exactly does that mean in terms of a 330? Is it similar to Fender's Closet Classic finish where it's supposed to replicate the finish of an instrument that's maybe 30 years old but been well looked after with only some slight tarnishing of the hardware and maybe a less than 100% perfectly buffed finish but not reliced as such?

Del, I can't respond officially about VOS, although I do believe it stands for Vintage Original Spec. In the case of my ES-330, it has the look of a vintage instrument that has been shoved under a bed for 50 years and aged, yet has not a single scratch on it. The binding is perfectly yellowed. Even the Bigsby metal is not super shiny, but rather has the look of tarnished metal.

As one magazine put it (Guitarist Nov, 2014), "Pulling this beauty from its hard case is as close as many of us will get to time travel. Gibson's VOS treatment isn't relicing as such, but the slightly dulled finish and hardware certainly creates an old appearance...".

Every time I open the case of my 330, it slightly takes my breath away, because it is simply so damn beautiful. What an amazing job the craftsmen at Gibson Memphis are doing, if my guitar is any example. Seriously, now in my early 60's, I don't think I have ever owned anything in my life that is just so stunning. And the sound? Oh my God. Even unplugged, it rings so beautifully clear...and even with a good capo...perfectly clear as I climb the fretboard. Just absolutely beautiful...like listening to a great acoustic guitar. Plug it in and it's all there...the woody jazz tone, the swampy southern blues tone, the jangly 60's pop sound, the sweet overdriven sound. Seriously, this is, without question, my desert island piece.

Getting back to your question, yes, your final paragraph seems spot on. A dulled finish fitting of a closet guitar kept locked away for 50 years and then pulled out. No scratches, no blemishes, no weather checking (perhaps a little aging on the pickguard, which is easily replaced) just a guitar that looks old.

Obviously, I'm in love with this thing and think I would choose it over any ES-335 (much as I love them, too) for its acoustic qualities, its P90 pickups and its lighter weight.

Hope that helps!

Every time I open the case of my 330, it slightly takes my breath away, because it is simply so damn beautiful. What an amazing job the craftsmen at Gibson Memphis are doing, if my guitar is any example. Seriously, now in my early 60's, I don't think I have ever owned anything in my life that is just so stunning. And the sound? Oh my God. Even unplugged, it rings so beautifully clear...and even with a good capo...perfectly clear as I climb the fretboard. Just absolutely beautiful...like listening to a great acoustic guitar. Plug it in and it's all there...the woody jazz tone, the swampy southern blues tone, the jangly 60's pop sound, the sweet overdriven sound. Seriously, this is, without question, my desert island piece.

I would echo every bit of what Johnny said, even the part about age (64 this year)!

Archived