Gibson Brands Forums

1960 Gibson LG-3 -- confirm and value?

Nick B

Just came across what I believe to be a 1960 Gibson LG-3.

Information

Serial number: R6879 20

Nut width: 1 34"

Wood: Mahogany and sitka or Adirondack. Rosewood fingerboard.

Bracing: x-brace

Other details: Neck has been reset. I believe bridge and tuners have been replaced. End pin hole has been widened to 0.5" to accommodate a pick-up.

Condition

Rough exterior. Please refer to attached pictures.

Plays quite well. Very punchy and tremendous mids.

Tuner and bridge replaced (I think).

Hole is messed rough from years of aggressive picking.

Presence of cracks that have been patched.

Again, neck has been reset.

Questions

Based on the information, can someone confirm this is indeed a 1960 Gibson LG-3?

I'm not sure what the rules are for asking for guitar pricing on this forum, but if it is acceptable, could someone please offer ballpark pricing for this guitar?

To close

I'm a blues player, so I'm particularly drawn to this guitar. I don't own any vintage guitars and I'm not a collector per se, so I'm not worried about the condition of the guitar; I actually think the condition adds character and may actually put the guitar more in my price range.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Pictures

back

body

bridge

head

body, hole

bottom, endpin hole

guitar and case

neck

back of head

Nick, welcome to the forum. That is in fact a 1960 LG-3 (Gibson was using a system of letters to indicate a year of manufacture at the time - R=1960). The top is made of Sitka Spruce since Gibson started using Sitka in 1944.

Pricing a vintage guitar can be difficult. Just like any other used item: It's only worth what someone will pay for it. What's it worth to you?

Thanks for the welcome and the confirmation, tvguit.

Frankly, I'm not sure what it's worth to me. In this condition, it would be a tough re-sell. I'm not finding many listings on-line, and the ones that I am finding are of guitars in excellent or mint condition. I'm not sure how much an effect condition has on the price of a guitar like this, so the listings aren't terribly helpful.

At the end of the day, I like it but don't need it.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Well Nick,

While the guitar looks like it is a great player, by the wear, the collectability factor is long gone on this warhorse. So setting that aside, you have an old Gibson with 'lots of MOJO'.

Setting that aside, it is a used Gibson, with some repairs done...a lot of wear and tear!

I would offer up to $500.....IF..... it really spoke to me AND I could not live without it another day...Ha!

That also takes into consideration that on a positive note, it has already had a neck reset and I assume newer frets?.....and the 'cool man' hard case! [thumbup]

What IS the asking price?

Rod

Hey retrorod.

Thanks for the feedback.

There isn't really an asking price per se. We're just trying to figure out what would be fair.

Just like you said, the thing is beat up to hell, but the neck has been reset (costly adjustment) and it does play pretty darn well. The case really is a beaut; I love these retro cases. If I buy this, I'd buy it without the intent of reselling it, but I have to respect that as an option someday; this guitar would be tough to resell.

If and when a deal happens, I'll follow-up and let you all know.

Thanks again.

[Any other feedback?]

Archived