Gibson Brands Forums

Dark Fire or Godin

Bar832

Hi

I have paid my deposit and waiting patiently here in the UK for my Dark Fire to arrive. My current set up is a Godin playing electric, acoustic and synth all at the same time with 3 different amps. The Godin makes all 3 very controllable with separate outputs and volume controls for each.

I am assuming I will be able to do the same with the Dark Fire when it arrives, can anyone tell me if that's correct ? My slight concern is a comment saying something about an optional extra to use the hex out, does anyone know what that means ?

Thanks

I think in theory yes you will be able to do it but you will need to buy one extra cable. Why Gibson chose to make the cable an optional extra is tough to imagine. Not a large cost item and yet something all DF owners will one day need. Good luck with your DF wait.

Hi

I have paid my deposit and waiting patiently here in the UK for my Dark Fire to arrive. My current set up is a Godin playing electric' date=' acoustic and synth all at the same time with 3 different amps. The Godin makes all 3 very controllable with separate outputs and volume controls for each.

I am assuming I will be able to do the same with the Dark Fire when it arrives, can anyone tell me if that's correct ? My slight concern is a comment saying something about an optional extra to use the hex out, does anyone know what that means ?

Thanks[/quote']

Which Godin model are you using?

I don't think that the RIP outputs MIDI information. You will need an extra module that converts HEX->Midi

Dark Fire will Drive the GR20 - but only with the optional "Hex to GK13" Cable.

This is not available yet.

And You will not have typical GK-3A controls: S1, S2, Synth Volume, Guitar/Blend/Synth Switch - all these are missing.

You could buy a RMC Fan Out box for $395 for a lot of jacks and octal analog buffer. Then add your own S1, S2, Synth Volume.

http://www.rmcpickup.com/fanoutbox.html

There May be an optional GIBSON breakout box accessory with TRS balanced audio for the RIP Hex Output - with jacks for typical GK-3A controls - too soon to know.

We cover what additional gear is needed for Dark Fire to MIDI conversion - in this thread.

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11107

I would NOT swap the Godin for the Dark Fire on the Day of the gig. This Dark Fire is more about Alternate tunings and onboard Parametric EQ for Mags and Piezo PUs , and using the RIP and a Macbook Pro to gain access to hexaphonic signal processing. In my case I want to drive my VG-99, I may have to design and build my own interface with all the GK-3A controls I still desire on the guitar - Stay tuned.

Archived