Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
4 FINGER PETE

Acoustic amp

Hi all. I'm looking for a good acoustic amp that sounds really good for both singing and guitar playing. I was in San Diego last year and this girl was playing and singing outside for a crowd and sounded amazing with only an amp, no pedals. Should have looked at it from up close :-). Any suggestions???

Hi all. I'm looking for a good acoustic amp that sounds really good for both singing and guitar playing. I was in San Diego last year and this girl was playing and singing outside for a crowd and sounded amazing with only an amp, no pedals. Should have looked at it from up close :-). Any suggestions???

I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini. Excellent value and great sound.

Just got a Fishman Artist ..... midsize, light, and feature packed. I like it so check out the web site and play through one if you can.

Depends on the size of the venue and or your budget ,but thumbs up for the Fishman line of products. [thumbup]

I have an older version of the Performer I purchased used .

Many performers use the house PA with a DI/Pre-amp for the guitar

So that is an option...

There are many amps with inputs for guitar and vocals

A lot depends on size/portability...

V

:-({|=

I've had best success with AER amps, the Alpha 40 and Compact 60. Very good sound quality, portable and a great monitor amp / front end for larger venues. They're not cheap in the UK, and probably more in the US, but for sound quality they're exceptional.

I use the Fishman SA220 solo " Fishstick" 2 channel and phantom power for the vocal mic .

Easy to use and carry

Have the Fishman SA220 as well -- it can't be beat if you plan on playing venues and have the cash to spend ($1,000). Sounds fantastic and is portable -- a very well thought out piece of gear.

If you need something mainly for home use or smaller/cheaper, the Fishman loudbox series are great amps for the money.

I like Fishman gear a lot! [thumbup]

Nothing against the Fishman, but my little 10-y-o 30-watt Kustom was/is about $150 US and dollar for dollar the best amp cash I've spent in 50 years.

It's relatively light, about 40 pounds on my little suitcase cart with all the "spares" needed from a light mike stand, 2 mikes (backup) and all the cords required.

It even works quite well to run a mike and guitar - electric or AE - into a computer for recording with surprising quality.

I've used it with both AE and electric in saloons with a separate PA system with groups doing anything from "cowboy" to rock and blues. I've used it on stage with/without miking it in a roughly 500-seat theater.

OTOH, in '65 the ability to run a mike through one side and guitar through the other is why I got my Fender Deluxe Reverb - and it worked as well as about anything of its time for a mag pup equipped acoustic or an electric and a mike.

In the '70s I got a big 120-watt 2-12 "Fender Twin clone on steroids" for the same reason, and other than the weight that keeps in at home, it's about as good as any design of that era to be a combination mike/amp solo solution.

I've seen more than a few current solo pros using nothing but a big active speaker unit - and working it well even in some concrete floor, hard ceiling venues that are horrid for anything.

The Bose or Fishman equivalent "telephone pole" outfit is around $1,000 but either can offer marvelous sound for solo guitar and mike, possibly a bit better on the Bose with the subwoofer.

And you'd be surprised how a little thought can make an very inexpensive 10-12 inch speaker cheapie PA rig work exceptionally well.

Pay yer money, take yer choice. Lots of stuff can work well.

m

While I was looking for a fine, natural sounding acoustic amp, I found out that a dome tweeter is crucial for me. I finally went with the Schertler JAM 150 due to featuring one and for its overall even response. However, there are many amps providing it. For sound reinforcement applications in larger venues a horn tweeter might project better at a farther distance while sacrificing linearity, but in these cases a PY system would be better anyway.

The Schertler JAM 150 does not provide a notch filter for feedback suppression. I only use mine for hybrid solidbodies, so I don't need it. When wanting large volumes from an amplified hollowbody, a tunable notch filter can be very useful.

Got thinkin' about this while dining at my work desk on leftover pizza from a late work night last night. <grin>

A cupla factors to consider in terms of how important they may or may not be.

1. Almost anything will or won't work depending on how it's placed in what sort of room.

"We" are far more picky than almost any crowd we'll have unless we're demonstrating equipment for a given company. An audience wants to hear what you're doing, but the overall "swing" of any piece is what will or won't trip their trigger. That is, however, the whole problem with live performances. I've seen too many quality musicians function as if they were beginners at setting up whatever they had for equipment when hit in a live venue.

I'll almost guarantee than my cheapie Kustom will sound better than a floor-set Fishman or Fender AE amp at three times the price tag, with both voice and fingerpicked guitar - if it's up on a stool or on a bar or "high" table.

2. The "one big active speaker" solution I've seen so many use will work well enough also if it's set so it's not muffling itself and making the guitar and voice both sound "muddy." Also care must be taken on various settings depending on the room.

3. Seriously, I've several friends who simply haul around $300-$500 worth of inexpensive but "tested" PA. Whether a Gibbie CF100e or my inexpensive but similarly sized Epi, I guarantee that in most venues where audience expectation is for an "acoustic" performance, it'll work well if speaker placement is appropriate and if the guitar/amp settings suit the room/venue. I've got a setup that works well enough in that situation too. It seldom goes anywhere because the bulk of separating and setting up speaker stands, etc., and I'm too old to enjoy that game if I ain't gotta.

Anything can work better than expected, nothing will work all that well if not appropriately set up for the venue and if the guitar, amplification and venue aren't set up to match.

Think of it this way: Vetruvius some 2,000 years ago wrote about using and modifying music and voice in a theater by considering the frequencies - and that's without electronics.

If it worked - and it did - 2,000 years ago through design and "extras" in a theater type setting, consider how unenlightened most of "us" are by seeking to bulldoze our way to an audience with power that we think sounds okay on stage but certainly will sound different a few seats back. But how many except some pros even think about matching the PA setup and controls, etc., to the venue?

Frankly whether you're doing a solo low-impact gig or a bluegrass band, a '50s jazz guitar thing or an all-out metal band blast, IMHO a significant amount of audience satisfaction comes from setup of PA systems, appropriate for the physical characteristics of a venue or an auditory disaster for a crowd.

Again, for recording? Consider how. As I said, that little inexpensive Kustom's line out and an inexpensive interface and Audacity "free" software is IMHO all you'd need...

Today... were I to "have to" buy a road gig for solo guitar and voice, I'd likely go for the Bose, but with some extra discussion with whatever outlet from which it'd be purchased.

m

Vetruvius some 2,000 years ago..................

Yea.....

But he's no Davy Jones.....

100_0798.jpg

Carvin AG100D....

Thank's a million gents for your input on a good acoustic amp. Again lots of good advice from "eloquent" folks on this forum. Thank's for taking the time...Sounds like Fishman is a good deal, but will look into Marshall and Kustom. [thumbup]