Gibson Brands Forums

A pretty special Gibson

j45nick

I was sitting in my office pickin' away last night when my wife called me into the living room to look at an instrument on TV on Antiques Roadshow (Tulsa, OK). A young woman had brought in her grandfather's (or great-grandfather's) Gibson mandolin, which had been in a closet in the family home for more than 75 years.

I almost died when the appraiser opened the case. I was babbling to my wife "It's the holy grail, it's the holy grail". It was, believe it or not, a 1924 Gibson Master Grade F-5, dated and signed by Lloyd Loar.

The mandolin was in near-perfect condition, having been purchased barely used in 1930 (she said for $600, which would have been a huge amount of money back then), played for a few years, and put away for the last 75 years. The case was also perfect, a rectangular fitted case lined with green velvet. It was of those things you only dream about.

The appraiser said in that condition it was worth $175,000.

Would that make it one of the most valuable Gibson instruments that does not have a direct connection with a specific artist (for example, Clapton's ES 335 sold for $800,000)?

Bob Birdwell, I know you're looking for a mandolin right now.......

edit: on reading the transcript, she said he paid $20, which she said would have been the equivalent of $600 today. Not sure how accurate the comparison is, when you consider that a new J-45 cost $45 in 1943, and a new one goes for $2000+ today.

The appraiser is Fred Oster, whose company website is vintage-instruments.com. They are a rare violin dealer in Philadelphia, and have a vintage guitar/mandolin dealership as well. They have a really nice assortment of vintage Gibsons, a huge and varied assortment of vintage Martins, and are a new Martin dealer as well. They also have a variety of other vintage guitars as well.

Great pictures on their vintage Gibson and Martins, and the descriptions are very detailed. Worth a visit to the website, if only to drool.

I've seen him on the roadshow before, but wasn't familiar with his company.

I was sitting in my office pickin' away last night when my wife called me into the living room to look at an instrument on TV on Antiques Roadshow (Tulsa, OK). A young woman had brought in her grandfather's (or great-grandfather's) Gibson mandolin, which had been in a closet in the family home for more than 75 years.

I almost died when the appraiser opened the case. I was babbling to my wife "It's the holy grail, it's the holy grail". It was, believe it or not, a 1924 Gibson Master Grade F-5, dated and signed by Lloyd Loar.

The mandolin was in near-perfect condition, having been purchased barely used in 1930 (she said for $600, which would have been a huge amount of money back then), played for a few years, and put away for the last 75 years. The case was also perfect, a rectangular fitted case lined with green velvet. It was of those things you only dream about.

The appraiser said in that condition it was worth $175,000.

Would that make it one of the most valuable Gibson instruments that does not have a direct connection with a specific artist (for example, Clapton's ES 335 sold for $800,000)?

Bob Birdwell, I know you're looking for a mandolin right now.......

edit: on reading the transcript, she said he paid $20, which she said would have been the equivalent of $600 today. Not sure how accurate the comparison is, when you consider that a new J-45 cost $45 in 1943, and a new one goes for $2000+ today.

No. 1958-1960 Sunburst Les Pauls generally go in the 6 digit price range. $175k would buy you one that isn't that cool, not a great top, in kinda rough shape but with no major issues.

Yea, I saw that. I think Fred played it pretty cool, but you could tell he was excited -- I mean for Fred:rolleyes:.

I actually thought it was a little low -- I don;t follow this stuff too closely, but I would more like $250K. Maybe they have come down.

Banjothon was last weekend. We did not get to go this year, but the last year I went there were five there. I think four of them belonged to Herschel Sizemore.

Best,

-Tom

Yea, I saw that. I think Fred played it pretty cool, but you could tell he was excited -- I mean for Fred:rolleyes:.

I actually thought it was a little low -- I don't follow this stuff too closely, but I would more like $250K. Maybe they have come down.

Banjothon was last weekend. We did not get to go this year, but the last year I went there were five there. I think three of them belonged to Herschel Sizemore.

Best,

-Tom

This episode of the Roadshow first aired two years ago.

I can't recall if I saw it then or during an earlier repeat,

but like most of you, my jaw dropped when I saw what she had.

Seems like I'd heard the instrument was auctioned off,

but not positive about that.

One thing I do know for sure: My Loar-era '22 "A" is

as close as I'll ever get to the Loar connection!

This episode of the Roadshow first aired two years ago.

I can't recall if I saw it then or during an earlier repeat,

but like most of you, my jaw dropped when I saw what she had.

Seems like I'd heard the instrument was auctioned off,

but not positive about that.

One thing I do know for sure: My Loar-era '22 "A" is

as close as I'll ever get to the Loar connection!

I know that I would have auctioned it off too. I'd have trouble sleeping with something that expensive in my house. [scared]

Archived