Gibson Brands Forums

Strumming -- can some not "feel" rhythm?

kebob

Kebob, when I first started playing rhythm combined with singing, I had a very difficult time "getting it". I had to start with strum patterns, and it was spasmotic at first trying to sing and play a rhythm. It has taken a few years of hard work, but I am now able to play good complementary rhythms and even invent my own poly-rhythms with melodic fill over chords. My voice has also greatly improved with daily practice.

Not all of us can do it naturally, but I do think we can all do it if we invest the string-time and focus.

I agree with this. I never could learn out of a book -- well, I could if I had to, just didn't have the passion or patience for it. I'd rather listen to the tune and pick it up that way. When I'm playing I never think about how I'm playing, if that makes sense.

That's exactly how I learned... listening and playing until I got it. Yeah, what you said makes total sense.

You can't annotate or chart feeling.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new but I totally disagree with "you have rhythm or you don't". While rhythm is clearly required, there is more to it that that.

For me, it's a matter of ears. If the guitar was the only thing playing, I could figure it out. But I can't when there's a bunch of music. I'm trying to figure out Ho Hey right now. 2 guitars and a mandolin... forget about it. I don't have a chance.

Also, we're not talking about the ability to play the song. I can play a lot of songs. We're talking about playing a song exactly like someone else did. Sometimes it makes a huge difference (Brown Eyed Girl) and sometimes my version is good enough (maybe even a little better).

I can feel rhythm. I can't always feel their rhythm.

Archived