Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 dot Plain Cherry are now figured ?

Bernie69

Hi guys

looking for a Cherry es 335, I found in a store a Cherry figured; a real beauty for a

reasonable price ;the vendor told me it was a standard plain gloss ; I did not believe him

because it was nicely figured and the price was the same for the Sunburst hanging also on the

same wall.

I went home to check on the net and have been happily surprised :rolleyes: to see that on

the Gibson site,on the ES 335 dot plain gloss page,

the finish of the Cherry was slightly figured .

The other colours remain "plain"

Does it mean that the standard Cherry dot is now figured for the same price ??? is it a

mistake ?

If not , this could be good news but It's difficult to believe when we see the extra money

we usually have to add on Gibson products if we want better finishes.

SO : the plain dot is now figured ??? since when if it is the case ?????

Thank you tu help me recover my sleep

and also Happy new figured year B) greetings from France

Easiest way to tell if by the model number . ESDP... is plain top , ESDT.... is figured. Last year I purchaced a Figured Dot from a big box store that had it mis marked as a satin version. So I paid the satin price (minus 15 percent) . But it is in fact a figured, so check the model number. Its possible they mis marked it.

Thank you badlues for the pictures!

I really love the figured one !

Here in France, as the 335 are as rare as the reduction of taxes

it s impossible to have the bargain or invoicing error like the one mentioned by budglo.

By the way what is the meaning of the other characters of the guitar model ?

is there something practical to identify the neck ??? ex Slim Taper/Round 57 ???

The finish can seem rather trivial for the fans of the 335 sound, but it prevented me to buy a 335 satin some years ago

because I was disppointed with the overall impression, and I was afraid that this poor finish could also hide other

hidden important features.

Thanks again for your answers :)

Thank you badlues for the pictures!

I really love the figured one !

Here in France, as the 335 are as rare as the reduction of taxes

it s impossible to have the bargain or invoicing error like the one mentioned by budglo.

By the way what is the meaning of the other characters of the guitar model ?

is there something practical to identify the neck ??? ex Slim Taper/Round 57 ???

The finish can seem rather trivial for the fans of the 335 sound, but it prevented me to buy a 335 satin some years ago

because I was disppointed with the overall impression, and I was afraid that this poor finish could also hide other

hidden important features.

Thanks again for your answers :)

ESDPCHNH1 = Electric Spanish Dot Plaintop CHerry Nickel Hardware 1st quality. A figured cherry would have everything there except a T where the P is . Hope this helps.

ESDPCHNH1 = Electric Spanish Dot Plaintop CHerry Nickel Hardware 1st quality. A figured cherry would have everything there except a T where the P is . Hope this helps.

Thank you of course this will help!!! Here, the guys in charge in the shops are

generally "Gibson illiterate" ; it 's true that they sell 100 times more Yamaha or fake

LP Epis to kids than Gibsons. Gibsons are reknown as expensive guitars and as they sell a

few of them every year ( you know the "dusty guitar on the top of the wall with loose

strings" syndrome) they do not rely on them for their gross income, it's very difficult to

get a bargain.

So I must go back to he shop to check the model number

• 1 month later...

Sorry to have bothered you with this

the 335 I have seen is actually a T for "figured" but the price is

the same as the Plain internet price so I must gather my savings and rush to this store [flapper]

the guiatr is georgious !!!

hello and welcome

you are right it is just the finish.

You can see it clearly on the pictures above:

the pic at the bottom is of a "plain" (non figured) and it looks like the guitar is just painted in red and polished.

the first pic is of a "figured" finish; the varnish is tranparent and through it you can see the wood,

the wood is worked to obtain this waves effect.

The effect is stunning on the cherry color but even more stunning on the sunburst or natural color.

The thing that you will discover also is that there are big price differences according to the finish.

the "Plain" are cheaper than the "figured"

Archived