Gibson Brands Forums

Gibsons without Nibs are like...

Blueblooded

That's because nibs were a cheap hunk of plastic stuck at the end of a fret to keep from having to properly dress the end of the fret. If the entire story were reversed and Gibson was just now, after 150 years, switching from full frets to little plastic nubs to cap the razor sharp ends everyone would be losing their minds. :) [biggrin]

That's because nibs were a cheap hunk of plastic stuck at the end of a fret to keep from having to properly dress the end of the fret. If the entire story were reversed and Gibson was just now, after 150 years, switching from full frets to little plastic nubs to cap the razor sharp ends everyone would be losing their minds. :) [biggrin]

That train's already left the station! [biggrin]

CB

Guitarists lose their minds about something minor?????? No way!!!! [lol]

NHTom

Guitarists lose their minds about something minor?????? No way!!!! [lol]

NHTom

Excuse me sir, this statement alone has just thrown me right off my game and I just cannot tolerate this,...I must now go outside and shake my fist angrily at inanimate objects!! [flapper]

...counterfeits...

P.

Yes, that is what I think.

I know a lot of people either don't like the nibs or are indifferent to them but for me they are the ONE thing that made a Gibson neck absolutely stand out from all the rest. I also think that they are genuinely "feelable" (If I can beg the word) and make the neck a whole lot better (IMO) to play.

Sad day if they wholly pass away but good for the "vintage" Gibson's because they will (again IMO) dramatically increase (over the next few years) in value.

I have four Les Pauls.. two with nibs and two without and I can honestly say it makes no difference to me.. Ive never picked up a guitar and thought, man I miss those nibs, or man those nibs get in the way... Its all the same..

I kinda agree that its one thing that helped when spotting fakes etc.. BUT those fakes have gotten much better these days so if it helps Gibson to do it without for cost or whatever reason.. then so be it.. (plus I actually think having metal ends is better than plastic ones as far as robustness is concerned)

Don't now, never have had a guitar with "nibs."

That's included some pretty decent instruments from classical to a board with strings and stuff in between.

I still think it's more like chrome on 1950s cars. Didn't do much at all to make 'em more comfortable or faster.

m

Archived