Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall as50 reverb problem

blindboygrunt

My little Marshall amp isn't giving any reverb.

I took the back off with the slim hope that a wire was hanging off . but its immaculate in there.

Do the little spring tank things get worn out ? Banged ?

I'm no electrician , but I'm assuming its a simple fix. Or maybe hoping.

Anyone had a similar situation and found out the cause and solution?

I'm at a loss as to how this would stop working . if the amp was ancient and inside it was all corroded and a mess of wires then I'd accept it easier.

Thanks all

PS .it hasnt worked since I got it second hand.

Had the same problem with my old AS50D - no reverb at all coming from it, wasnt sure for how long, maybe from beginning even ..

It was still under warranty so took it back but upgraded to AS100D when it looked like we were going to start gigging. That was some 3 years ago and have not had a problem with the bigger cousin.

Anyway, cant help you there mate, as I never found out what the problem was.

What if you kick it a bit ... ?

Had the same problem with my old AS50D - no reverb at all coming from it, wasnt sure for how long, maybe from beginning even ..

It was still under warranty so took it back but upgraded to AS100D when it looked like we were going to start gigging. That was some 3 years ago and have not had a problem with the bigger cousin.

Anyway, cant help you there mate, as I never found out what the problem was.

What if you kick it a bit ... ?

Tried that EA. Usually first thing with anything broken. Didnt work this time

Is it genuine spring reverb, Gruntfuttle? I don't really know if they can wear out, but I believe that they can get knocked out of joint or eventually give up the ghost. The reverb on my old Fender Pro gave out a few years back, and I haven't got cash to sort it out now that I'm more or less living back in the UK. I did get a quote from a local amp tech here though, in a financially more optimistic, but temporally more challenged moment a couple of years ago. I was surprised at how inexpensive a new reverb tank would be if it came to that. Under 50 quid, I seem to remember. Of course, I'm hoping it won't come to that, and that a new valve or two might sort the problem. Might get the amp done when I get past the post-Christmas austerity period. But it needs more than just the reverb doing, so it will need some time with the fixit man, and probably a bit more than 50 quid in total. Anyway, point is, even if it needs a new tank it might not be horrendously expensive, even with labour thrown in. Might be worth approaching an amp tech in NI.

EA, just out of interest, if you bought an AS100D for gigging, what did you buy the AS50D for?

Is it genuine spring reverb, Gruntfuttle? I don't really know if they can wear out, but I believe that they can get knocked out of joint or eventually give up the ghost. The reverb on my old Fender Pro gave out a few years back, and I haven't got cash to sort it out now that I'm more or less living back in the UK. I did get a quote from a local amp tech here though, in a financially more optimistic, but temporally more challenged moment a couple of years ago. I was surprised at how inexpensive a new reverb tank would be if it came to that. Under 50 quid, I seem to remember. Of course, I'm hoping it won't come to that, and that a new valve or two might sort the problem. Might get the amp done when I get past the post-Christmas austerity period. But it needs more than just the reverb doing, so it will need some time with the fixit man, and probably a bit more than 50 quid in total. Anyway, point is, even if it needs a new tank it might not be horrendously expensive, even with labour thrown in. Might be worth approaching an amp tech in NI.

EA, just out of interest, if you bought an AS100D for gigging, what did you buy the AS50D for?

The little spring tank looks A1 to my untrained eyes.

EA had a 50. Upgraded to a 100.

Archived