Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mandrew

cutting back on dreds

There has been some discussion on Epiphone cutting out a bunch on dreds from production. There may be a good answer, and here is what I have discovered. I have recently talked to the owners of local guitar stores in my area, because I was looking for a decent but not too expensive OOO size instrument. They all told me that that they are seeing a definite trend in the last 5 years on people asking for smaller body guitars, and some with shorter scale lengths. It seems that there is now a desire to return more to the "standard" guitar which was very popular before the Drednought became popular. The Dred became popular for its grater volume and bassey sound, but those were in the days when we did not have popular on board amplification as we do now. The standard guitar has great balance, and with internal amplification, is a better option for us short guys, kids and women. I suspect that we will see more O/M and OOO body styles come out to replace the Drednought heavy line up. for finger pickers and us smaller folks, this is actually good news.

I'm wondering if this might also mean some expansion in offerings of OO or even O sized guitars. Actually, there seems to be more offerings in "parlor" sized (that would O, for the most part) guitars lately.

Back in '07 when I got my Masterbilt AJ500RC, I swore up and down that I would only be getting a smaller body--OOO or smaller. I'm an acoustic blues player, fingerpicking mostly, and figured I needed something with more of a high-end cutting sound. Was playing a Gibson LGO (all-'hog) till band members said I needed more volume. I got the 12-fretter. Very surprised at myself when I settled on it. Still surprised when I hear it "cut" as much as I like.

Interesting thoughts... [thumbup]

Personally moi enjoys the big sound of a jumbo 12 string...

With careful EQ it blends well with bandmates' smaller acoustics

And when played solo, often elicits favourable comment regarding tone...

V

:-({|=

Interesting thoughts... [thumbup]

Personally moi enjoys the big sound of a jumbo 12 string...

With careful EQ it blends well with bandmates' smaller acoustics

And when played solo, often elicits favourable comment regarding tone...

V

:-({|=

I can certainly see it with a 12-string; however, my favorite sounding 12 string is the Martin J-15--sorry they're not around anymore. Also, a bit confused about Martin's J-categorization--how big is it *really* compared to the Gibson/Epi "jumbo." More standard body configuration, but does it encompass as much volume as the Gibs? But that 15 sure sounded sweet, and for a long time now I've been of the opinion that the all-mahogany Martins are very underrated and a great deal.

whatever thy offer, I hope Epiphone expands their smaller guitar offerings. I have a Dr-100, and it has its place if you use it for its purpose. the Drednought is great for big strummers, and perhaps flat picking, but for more finger style ans blues, even folk, the 000 has great balance ans is easier to hold. With modern elctronic amplification, being heard doesn't have to be an issue any more. Classical guitar bodies are a great size, and can cut with the best.

I've probably gone the other way. I have a Martin 00-15 and a Sigma 0001MST, but have recently purchased the Epiphone IB Texan(which I can't speak highly enough about).

Both my smaller bodied guitars have no internal pickups, so I have been using a Seymour Duncan Woody pickup which is ok. I am primarily a fingerstyle player but have been really impressed with the Epi's overall sound with flesh and nail. It's obviously a different sound from the Martin and Sigma but just as good. IMHO there will always be room for both, but do agree smaller bodied models do seem to be 'in vogue' at the moment.

Just an observation but have noticed that a lot of the 60s and 70s singer songwriters who fingerpicked seemed to use dreds and jumbos. Even watching footage blues based artists like Bonnie Raitt and Dave Van Ronk they seemed to favour Guild jumbos for a lot of their live and studio performances.

I guess when you find the axe that's right for you it just does the job regardless. It will be interesting to see how manufacturers react. You can now see a lot of 12 fret join, slot head parlors with internal electrics etc available. The Vintage Paul Brett signature springs to mind. It all goes round in circles doesn't it?

I agree that there has been a rising interest in smaller body guitars. There even seems to be a resurgence of 12 fret necks and slotheads. As Gibson seems to be listening, coming out with a couple of new versions of the LG-2, it might not be too far off when we see the Epi Caballero reappear on guitar shop walls.

I don't know about smaller body size, but if Epiphone offered a 12-fret slope-shoulder dread, ala the Roy Smeck, it would definitely have my attention. Recording King has come out with one.

That could be the reason but I think there is a lot more involved, I think Gibson has a lot to do with the decision. Either way lets hope the coming days Epi offers some more fantastic surprises.