Gibson Brands Forums

Re-Strining with a Bigsby

PeteWilson

I just had my first experience with re-stringing a guitar with a Bigsby. I learned right away not to take all the strings off at once! I shall not make that mistake again! :rolleyes:

Lesson learned. I know all you experienced guys all knew this, but I did not, and there may be others who do not.

Happy Guitar day!

Pete

Yeah I have a few Bigsbys and quickly realised keeping on the Low E string is the best way to be able to restring and clean (my high E normally has loads of rust and gunk on it)

Rickenbacker Accent Vibrato is even worse!!!

Thanks! I will do that in the future!

Maybe it's something to do with the fact I now own five guitars with Bigsbys, but I've never had a problem with them. Guitar face up on my lap or on the work bench, pre bend the strings at the ball end, round the bar, pull the string along the fingerboard, trap it under my right thumb while my left hand threads and winds the string, tune up: easy! I much prefer Bigsby restringing to Strats, with all that fiddly threading through the block and saddles, and trying to dislodge the old ball that got struck when the string snapped at the ball end...

I'm with Eric and Jay. I have four guitars with Bigsby's and have no problem changing strings on any of them. As noted, pre-bend the string, loop it on to the pin, then I use a capo to hold the tension on the string until I get it wound. It probably doesn't take me any more than an extra 10 minutes or so over a non Bigsby guitar. Not sure I understand what the "issues" are that you guys are having.

Extra 10 min? Should be 10 min from start to finish! I do change a lot of strings though...

It doesn't take me any longer to do a Bigsby guitar than a Strat or an acoustic. Floyd Rose guitars slow me down and give me a headache and I hate restringing my mandolin (it's only two extra strings so why does it seem to take forever to change them?), but otherwise it's just developing a knack for the quirks of the particular bridge design.

Now, time to bow out before someone challenges me to a Bigsby restring race!

No probs for me either Dennis, I've at least a dozen Bigsby babies, I do the same as the others and pre-bend the end of the string. I just thought that was a cool mod though.

I saw that mod in the other thread as well. I think if I were actually out gigging with one of my Bigsby guitars, I'd probably do that for the same reason.

Extra 10 min? Should be 10 min from start to finish! I do change a lot of strings though...

LOL, I hear you, but when I change strings I usually do a lot of other stuff at the same time (cleaning, tightening/adjusting things, fretboard oil if due, etc.) I'm just guessing on the extra time, but it's about what I figure the "bending and capoing" time is, along with the required sips of adult beverage. Also, for me, it's not really a "race" but more time to actually look over the guitar, etc.

Well, as one who's made little secret he doesn't care for the doggone things and has disabled 'em - I still never considered they were a problem to string any more than a flattop or an archtop with a floating bridge.

I just ever took off all the strings at once that I can recall, except once for a significant cleaning job.

In fact, I got to thinking. Although it's been years, I think I did the strings alternatively, 1-6-2-5-3-4.

m

Archived