Gibson Brands Forums

I don't want to seem impatient..

Murphy74

I ran both sets of numbers' date=' although the percents changed the person with the most did not. I sent both sets of numbers to the folks in charge of the contest.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

S

[/quote']

That helped more than anything I've read on the forums about the competition so far. Thank you Shadow!

Happy to help. If you have any questions start a thread and drop me a PM (It emails me when I get a PM) I will comment when and if I can about the topic.

Sometimes the Web Site Developement limits the amount of time I can spend in the forums.

-S

During this contest I/We have received many questions about the contest. I guess I would like to try and get some feedback to how people feel we can improve on the contests.

We would like people to be active in the selection process. There is no point seeing what video we think is the best, that would be boring.

So here is your chance, let the mud fly!

Thanks,

-S

Well... the only thing I can suggest is that you take a look at the guy who won and look at his video page.... Don't you think that someone who is French would have some comments in FRENCH? Every comment is in Spanish.... I'm bilingual.. I speak Spanish. Cada comentario esta en espanol.

It discourages me that someone on the Gibson team couldn't deduce that from common sense. French people speak french. Spanish people speak SPANISH. One would have to assume that NO ONE in his French speaking family would have been interested in the competition at all.. Which is next to stupid to assume.

It's times just like these.... that make me proud to own a Martin guitar. All those years of experience and I guarantee they wouldn't pull this kind of crap. My video, Time Travelers, is a legitimate entry.... and I'm sorry I didn't have an SMS chain from Chile set up to vote for me.

Woow.. This really represents the interest of Gibson in his quality of music and it's musicians..

Why didn't you select from the top 3 or 4 vote getters, so it's still about the most votes and still about what song rocks the most.

This is not really motivating for new musicians to come up with good and original songs in future contests.

This winning song seriously does not represent the new Gibson Dark Fire in a good way.

The song that won the contest is very poorly written and performed. I can't believe that it made the top 12. How in the world did it end up getting the most votes? This contest was seriously flawed.

There were far better entries than this one that didn't even make the top 12. Take a look at the youtube entries and sort them by their rating for example. The top rated videos didn't even make the top 12 (I understand the problem with youtube ratings, so please don't try to explain them to me). I just don't understand. This was supposed to be a SONGWRITING CONTEST. How in the world did you guys decide that this was a SONG that was well WRITTEN and deserving of a spot in the finalists?

You have also gone out of your way to assert that this entry is valid because he is a French citizen. Are you kidding me? His last name is Lopez! He lives in Chile! All the comments surrounding his video are in Spanish! If you listen to the song, he has a Spanish accent! There isn't a single French comment there! Are you guys really this dense? =D>

:-s

Okay, time to be more constructive. I think that maybe you had the whole thing backwards. I think that a better way to run a contest such as this is by allowing the public to vote in the top 12, and then have a very large panel of 'Gibson artists' review and vote for their favorite.

If you ran the contest that way, people's favorites would have made it into the finals and you would have ended up with a song or video that you would be proud to use for marketing and to represent the Dark Fire.

I am sorry, no offense meant to the winner of the contest, but I don't see any chance of Gibson using this entry to promote anything. This song does not represent the spirit behind the dark fire. No way.

These are all just my opinions, but I have been watching the contest and I am sure that many people will agree with much of what I have said here.

Also, OPEN THE CONTEST UP TO THE REST OF THE WORLD ALREADY. I am sure you can deal with the logistics involved in shipping a single instrument to the winner of the contest regardless of where they live. Give me a break!

Oh, and also you should give the Travelers of Time a Dark Fire too. We all know that they are the real winners of the contest. No, seriously, you should. If the MSRP of the Dark Fire is $3500, then it probably costs you far less than $1000 to make one. What is $1000 to a huge successful company like Gibson? Nothing? Great, then give them a Dark Fire to take back to the future. Rock and roll needs to be saved!

I agree that you should give Travelers of Time a darkfire as well! It is still very suspect to me that the Chile video won... But if he can show legitimate identification of citizenship etc.. then there is nothing to be done about that.

I think that, in a relatively objective sense, that there were much better videos both in quality of production, song/lyrics, and creativity.

I like the idea that the public gets a video to the top 12 THEN the panel of judges decides the winner. I think the Gibson team understands the essence of the Dark Fire more than anyone, and I certainly don't think it's fair that someone with Radio shoutouts and SMS text chains to win just because of the sheer number of votes. Chances are that it was just each entrant voting for their own video, competing against the Chile entry.

Personally, I feel that the outcome would have been more reflective of quality of the Gibson team had chosen the best video themselves. There is an obvious discrepancy between who won and which video seems to be the most popular. From comments just on these forums, it seems very apparent that the Travelers of Time video was most popular.

Perhaps in the future there should only be one vote from each person- that might be a little more representative of the most popular video.

I am trying to be as completely unbiased as possible. I think that there were some excellent entries, certainly WAYYYY better than the video that won.

I was overall, pretty disappointed with this contest both because I submitted my video twice in the beginning and it never went though, I barely made it in by being lucky via correspondance with gibson and notifying them of the problem, then the lack of adherence to the contest rules both in that there was supposed to be a top 10, not 12. Also, the dates were all delayed- like the contest began 2 days late and ended 2 or 3 days late. It just seemed overall very disorganized and not well thought out.

DEFINTELY get rid of the stupid thumbs down system if only the thumbs up count!! and one vote per person so its more fair, or have Gibson decide- which I do NOT think would be boring. Much less stressful, infact.

I also think that the Travelers of Time video deserve a Dark fire too! Seriously, I am highly suspect of this "French citizenship with a working Visa in Chile thing." I read Spanish too, and everything on their facebook and youtube sites declared that they were Chileans. There were much better videos than that one, and it should have been a panel of Gibson reps that chose what fit all the categories they wanted. Otherwise then why have a "criteria" with percentages in the rules page. In the end it didn't matter. What mattered was marketing. Announce it on a radio station, play it 24/7, and have an entire country vote for you. Quality apparently meant nothing.

Maybe he won because people thought he was Billy Joel? [-(

Seriously though, this video, IMHO, did not deserve to win. It is highly annoying and in-imaginative...probably the worst of the bunch.

But then again, the people have spoke, and have voted...whether via SMS chains, or radios or whatever, these guys knew how to promote their clip.

As a lesson for the future, I think Gibson should first of all remove the thumbs down and make that vote for your favorite, and second of all, not let the people decide of the winner, but just help a qualified person or persons come up with a decision and help Gibson in picking up a winner that will represent what the spirit of Gibson truly is, and who know, might even help propel an artist!

I also think that the Travelers of Time video deserve a Dark fire too! Seriously' date=' I am highly suspect of this "French citizenship with a working Visa in Chile thing." I read Spanish too, and everything on their facebook and youtube sites declared that they were Chileans. There were much better videos than that one, and it should have been a panel of Gibson reps that chose what fit all the categories they wanted. Otherwise then why have a "criteria" with percentages in the rules page. In the end it didn't matter. What mattered was marketing. Announce it on a radio station, play it 24/7, and have an entire country vote for you. Quality apparently meant nothing.[/quote']

Ok Traveler's of Time people. Go back to the future already and quit trying to self promote on different accounts. It's really tacky and very... awkward. The competition is over.

Like it or not its over... Can we take this thread all the others like it to the Lounge? The issues are not related to the Dark Fire but how Gibson manages a contest so it really does not belong here does it???

Ok Traveler's of Time people. Go back to the future already and quit trying to self promote on different accounts. It's really tacky and very... awkward. The competition is over.

Cute Brad, but I only have one account. Thanks for being a jerk after I backed you up on other threads. When I saw that screen name I thought it was probably just referring to the style of the traveler guitar, but I think you're right in that it must be a fan of my video.

Either way- Administration invited us to let'r'rip about what we did and didnt like about the contest, and I am doing just that. Go away if you don't like it. I dont care if I win or not- lots of people apparently think I deserved to, but I think there were several other videos that should have won if we are considering spirit/creativity/quality/entertainment.

The fact that there are two other people on this thread saying that the travelers of time video should have won makes me proud.

Brad, respectfully, I hope that you aren't implying that I am one of the Travelers of Time guys, because I'm not. There's no proof on the internet, I suppose, but I know I'm not one of them, I just like their video and song. I can only offer this anonymous internet assurance that I am not one of them, nor do I know them, nor am I associated with them in any way. It is just my opinion that they should have won the guitar.

By the way hduncan, before you go back to the future I need to ask you a question. What were you guys eating off the tree, and why?

Lastly, in addition to the contest change suggestions I made earlier, I agree that the 'thumbs down' thing was awkward and you should drop it.

Really lastly, Gibson, like I mentioned in the lifestyle section when asked for suggestions and comments on the site redesign, you can send me the job offer in the mail :) - I happen to be a web application programmer, luckily!

It's even tackier to make assumptions. Like I said, there were a few videos that I did like, and maybe yours was one, who knows. Take a chill pill.

Shadow, it doesnt matter what you do really, because in the end people will lose and they will cry. Next time it will be some French Chilean crying that you gave some American unfair consideration because Gibson is an American company. Or somebody will make a so-so video and get 100,000 of their friends and family members to vote. You really cant win though because no matter who wins the rest will cry to the heavens about how they were wronged. Nobody can lose with class anymore.

It's times just like these.... that make me proud to own a Martin guitar. All those years of experience and I guarantee they wouldn't pull this kind of crap. My video' date=' Time Travelers, is a legitimate entry.... and I'm sorry I didn't have an SMS chain from Chile set up to vote for me. [/quote']

Well go play your Martin and quit crying here on the Gibson forum, yea your vid was cool, but you didnt win. Sorry, get over it.

Archived