Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Sitedrifter

Well sort of... I came home with this wonderful Les Paul on Friday and wanted to take some pictures but I got caught up in playing..

I have been playing 2.5 years and have always loved quality guitars. I own or owned Yamaha, PRS and Gretsch. The Gretsch is a CVT and is a phenomenal guitar when I want to break out into rockabilly or at least try to.. The others (except the Gretsch) I sold in favor of a Gibson J200 and Gibson Song Writer Deluxe Studio acoustics. For the last couple of months I wanted a new electric and since I have become a Gibson Acoustic crazy, I figured why not look at the quintessential and most iconic electric guitar. I checked with my 5* Gibson dealer and he listed what he had in stock. So I stopped down and checked out an R8, R9 and 1960 model. I liked the 1960 model the best out of the 3 but wanted a thinner neck. My dealer gave me the Les Paul Standard (2013) in Heritage Cherry Sunburst and the second I touched it I said I want it. (Damn if I did not even plug it in before I said that. )

I hooked it up and played with all the knob configurations which I really really liked especially the bypass setting which I fell in love with. So while my dealer set her up, I was beaming from ear to ear since I am now an owner of a Les Paul. Some of my favorite guitar players are Les Paul crazies in particular Gary Richrath! (Rock on Gary!! )

While this model is an AA wood grade it is close to AAA in my book and it could not be any more beautiful especially with the pickguard (what is a Les Paul without a pickguard ) which was not existent on the customs I was looking at. This particular guitar has some of the darkest rosewood I have ever seen on a fretboard. Looks pretty close to black

Here are the pictures I took this morning (and one Friday night) of my new Les Paul, please enjoy looking while I am off playing!

short-front.png

angle-front.png

side-shot.png

knobs2.png

rhythm.png

back.png

Great looking LP.

Beautiful top - the flame looks to be at the high end of the AA grade to me too.

Super nice burst and classic look in the Heritage Cherry.

You've got a real beauty there - and you're pleased with the play and tone - it doesn't get better than that.

Congrats. . B)

Great guitar - congrats, mate! [thumbup]

In my opinion, the only things missing are strap locks. Or do you tend to going with the Grolsch beer bottle cap washers? They are pretty common around here. Fender is offering them without beer... [biggrin]

Well, forgot to mention that Gary Richrath is one of my favourite players.

By the way, the top of yours looks very similar to that of my Heritage Cherry Sunburst 2013 Traditional, and I think no finish could match figuring and graining of this kind any better. [thumbup]

I'm sure you will love it more every day. At least I do with mine. So many setting choices and I can't find a bad sounding tone in it. I love tinkering with the controls on each pickup to get 2 totally different tones at the flick of the switch, then the bypass for a third. Love it Love it Love it.

Only thing that has been somewhat ruined is my guitar collecting. I used to always be wheeling and dealing and trading getting new different guitars, trying different things. Now I cant find anything that even feels right. Guitars that I would have once really liked are now just not my Les Paul. I guess this must be my soul mate of a guitar. Even just opening the case doesn't get old. The smell, the flame top. Man, I feel like I could write a poem to it LOL [wub]

I'm sure you will love it more every day. At least I do with mine. So many setting choices and I can't find a bad sounding tone in it. I love tinkering with the controls on each pickup to get 2 totally different tones at the flick of the switch, then the bypass for a third. Love it Love it Love it.

Only thing that has been somewhat ruined is my guitar collecting. I used to always be wheeling and dealing and trading getting new different guitars, trying different things. Now I cant find anything that even feels right. Guitars that I would have once really liked are now just not my Les Paul. I guess this must be my soul mate of a guitar. Even just opening the case doesn't get old. The smell, the flame top. Man, I feel like I could write a poem to it LOL [wub]

Seems I live in overflowing polygamy [scared][blush]

I do love all of my guitars, each single one for her tone when I need it [rolleyes] All my songs call for seems right to me, and so I keep on playing guitars of different make. Many of them are rather flexible, and the contemporary LP Standard's switching options are great. However, I always choose to play the one that is spot on the desired tone to my ears. I don't miss much but a hardtail Les Paul with piezo bridge and lots of switching options would complement my Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess nicely I think, although my SG Supra is very fine.

Very sweet axe!!!

Looks & sounds like (from everything you said) a keeper!

If it's a 2013 standard does it have the push-push switch out-of-phase thing?

I luvs me some Peter Green tone!!!

Yes it is a 2013 standard and has the cool electronics phase switching and bypass stuff and its really fun to play!

The switches (all four) are push/pull not push/push.

Archived