Gibson Brands Forums

Kalamazoo visit yes or no?

drstrange

Hi from Stuttgart Germany

From 01.June to 10.June 2014 I am in Grand Rapids in Michigan.

This is my first Trip to USA and I really do not know if it

is the last or not.

So I'm wondering about going to Kalamazoo? Its not so far away.

I could rent a car and go there for one or two days?

Does it matter?

Is there some Museum there from The Gibson Company?

Or is there a possibility to visit other places which are

relevant for Gibson fans?

Is Kalamazoo a remarcable town anyway to male a sightseeing tour?

Thank you for the answer.

drstrange

It is my understanding that "The Heritage Guitar Company" (a group of highly experienced ex Gibson employees) operates in the origional Gibson building to this day, handcrafting fine guitars using much of Gibsons origional equipment.

The year Gibson moved to Nashville these employees decided they didn't want to move and bought the building and equipment the next year.

My condolences. Lived in Grand Rapids for most of the nineties. [thumbdn]

j/k. The place has grown up a lot. A day trip to Kzoo is more realistic than an overnight one. It is not a very large town outside of WMU and K College. The two things I would hit down there are

1. The Heritage guitar factory. Contact them to see if they still do tours.

2. Bells brewery. One of the original craft brewers in the Midwest. They make a lot of delicious beers including Bells Best Brown and Kalamazoo Stout. Bells Oberon is a summer staple.

You'll have a lot more to do GR. A better overnight trip would be to Grand Haven. It is right on Lake Michigan with sandy beaches.

2. Bells brewery. One of the original craft brewers in the Midwest. They make a lot of delicious beers including Bells Best Brown and Kalamazoo Stout. Bells Oberon is a summer staple.

Talk about coinkydinky, I have a Bell's Christmas Ale in front of me as I am reading this. Never drank their brews before, but my local sotre had them half price, what with Christmas being over and all. Anyway, it's pretty tasty.

My condolences. Lived in Grand Rapids for most of the nineties. [thumbdn]

j/k. The place has grown up a lot. A day trip to Kzoo is more realistic than an overnight one. It is not a very large town outside of WMU and K College. The two things I would hit down there are

1. The Heritage guitar factory. Contact them to see if they still do tours.

You'll have a lot more to do GR. A better overnight trip would be to Grand Haven. It is right on Lake Michigan with sandy beaches.

Bells brewery would be a great visit. I enjoy their beers. You could also spend some time at Lake Michigan. I don't think Kalamazoo is terribly far from the lake.

You could also spend some time at Lake Michigan. I don't think Kalamazoo is terribly far from the lake.

It's about a 45 min drive; same as Grand Rapids, but I am not sure what road to take. You can take M45 right out of Grand Rapids and stop at GVSU (my alma mater) on your way to Lake Michigan.

Talk about coinkydinky, I have a Bell's Christmas Ale in front of me as I am reading this. Never drank their brews before, but my local sotre had them half price, what with Christmas being over and all. Anyway, it's pretty tasty.

Right on, brother. I love a good xmas ale Bells is great. They tend to make dopy drunk, though. Like pouring peanut butter into my head.

If you like brown ale, Bells Best Brown is delicious. It's not all syrupy sweet like New Castle. And in college I drank more than a few Kalamazoo Stouts.

Hi Guys

Thanx for the advices.

I will se what I can do.

My youngest daughter is there since August last year and she makes

a High-School year in Hudsonville. I will take her back home to Germany

when I am in USA in June 2014.

I was also thinking to visit Detroit but I skipped this, because I heared

Detroit is crashed down and criminal environment??

So I think going to Chicago once (makes it sense??) or better across the lake whith

The ferry boat to Milwaukee to see the Harley Davidson Museum.

I owe an Royal Enfield (In USA some Indian Chiefs have had the Enfield Motor)

But my Enfield is a Diesel Bike. So I am wondering about going to the HD Museum.

May be there is something else also in Milwaukee to see??

Sorry this isn't direct related to Gibson, but I see some guy here

are familiar with this area, so I think, they could give me a hint anyway??

And Rockmusic and Bikers, this is a good Mixture I think.

Regards

drstrange

You can visit Detroit and completely avoid the 'problem areas.' However, there isn't all that much to do/see. The Henry Ford Museum is worth a visit if you're into cars.

Theres plenty to do in Chicago like boat tours, Chicago Cubs game, walking downtown, great restaurants, great pizza and hot dogs.

Milwaukee is fun. I've never been to the harley davidson museum but I hear its fantastic and if you're in to bikes i'm sure it would be worth your while. I also have never taken the ferry across Lake Michigan but i've always wanted to. That could a fun thing to do on the way to milwaukee. Although I think the ferry is quite a bit north of Milwaukee, you may be better off driving around the lake.

Archived