Gibson Brands Forums

That time of year

Svet

Hey guys, I've started my string change project the other day. I am down to 22 guitars now so it won't be as much as in previous years. So far I've done 2 and today was my Elitist Broadway. I still love this guitar to death. It is just gorgous in all areas. I am thankful I had the opportunity and the means to buy it when I did. Well, all my Elitists for that matter. I sold off my LP Standard plus this summer though. I always found myself gravitating tomy Gibson Historic LPs so.. Anyway here are a few pics of that Broadway:

20140120_101414_zps61616b2c.jpg

20140120_111906_zps381350f5.jpg

20140120_113416_zpsb4e575f5.jpg

Hi guys , thank you! Hi CB, how are you? I just strung it with George Benson Thomastik Infelds. I had been using those on Eastman for a few years but I was using round wounds on the broadway for more versatility. I like what Im hearing and I have another set waiting for the Byrdland.

Hi guys , thank you! Hi CB, how are you? I just strung it with George Benson Thomastik Infelds. I had been using those on Eastman for a few years but I was using round wounds on the broadway for more versatility. I like what Im hearing and I have another set waiting for the Byrdland.

[thumbup]

CB

Another one down! My poor mans Byrdland! I love guitar and really enjoy cleaning them up, setting them up and changing strings. I need to learn how to solder so I can be more rounded with regards to instrument maintenance.....

20140122_122132_zps088ab660.jpg

Hey Zep, you sure do need an archtop! I love your Page type Lp! I actually have the Celebration Day concert straming on my Pay per View right now! Awesome cocertbut I can't stand the camera/editing work on this release! It's so choppy it gives me a headache!

I've tried and liked various Thomastik string sets. I have Gibson L-5 strings on my Elitist Broadway and Byrdland now. Very nice.

Happy string-changing, Svet!

Red 333

Hi Red! Thanks! What system do you use whrn it comes time? I used to change them whenever I broke a string butt I rarely break one these days! Time seems to go by so fast I don't realize how old some of the strings are! Ibroke a high e on my PRS last week and then I discoved they were over two years old! Mind you they were not worn down too much as you know having a collection means less time per guitar.. I make an effort to use all of them as I'm sure you do and know how tough it is to keep track. In order to stay on top of things I put the string box in the case with the date written on it. This way I know which strings and what gauges to use and how old they are. Ince I use different gauges for different guitar models I find thismakesit easier. Howdo you keep track?

Hi Red! Thanks! What system do you use whrn it comes time? I used to change them whenever I broke a string butt I rarely break one these days! Time seems to go by so fast I don't realize how old some of the strings are! Ibroke a high e on my PRS last week and then I discoved they were over two years old! Mind you they were not worn down too much as you know having a collection means less time per guitar.. I make an effort to use all of them as I'm sure you do and know how tough it is to keep track. In order to stay on top of things I put the string box in the case with the date written on it. This way I know which strings and what gauges to use and how old they are. Ince I use different gauges for different guitar models I find thismakesit easier. Howdo you keep track?

Don't know what Red does, but I keep an Xcel spreadsheet with the string change date, prior date change (so I know how long they were on there), make and gauge, and any other things done at the time (fretboard oiling, setup changes, etc.). It really is amazing how easily some of this info gets away from you.

Hey Dennis! I don't know why I haven't started a spreadsheet myself. You're very orgainized my friend

It's more a case of suffering from CRS than being organized. Besides, after one guitar, you can never remember all that stuff [flapper]

Svet, I used to be more routinized about string changing, and slowly do all my guitars in the late winter/spring, but now I do it mainly on a case by case basis, when the strings seem dead or tarnished, or fretboards and bridges look a little dry. I have some guitars that I play infrequently, and I found myself replacing strings that'd only been used one or twice otherwise!

I still change the strings and oil the fretboards on the handful that I tend to play a lot, though, in the winter and spring as before. I tend to travel to see relatives at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and for some reason, restringing becomes part of my pre-travel preparations, along with copious house cleaning. I guess I like to come back knowing everything is in good order. After the holidays, I keep it up, until the frequent-players are all done. As a matter of fact, I just did one (an acoustic) the other day, before you wrote your post!

I like to use boiled lindseed oil on the fretboards and (acoustic guitar) bridges. And, I have a good sized box of mostly Gibson strings at the ready (probably 30 or 40 sets, mostly Vintage Reissues, Brite Wires, and L-5's for electrics and Masterbilt PBs for acoustics). I stock up during the year when I see them on sale. I'll also use some Mequires Scratch X on the pickguards and body if I need to, to remove any fine marks.

Of course, every guitar gets wiped down after each use normally (strings and hardware included), and spritzed with Gibson pump polish before it goes back into its case. As well as keeping the body looking as good as possible, I find this really extends string life, and prevents tarnish on the hardware. Plus, that stuff just smells great when you open the case next time! You get that new guitar smell all over again.

Additionally, I keep most of my guitars in their cases when they're not being played, to protect them and keep them better humidified (in the case of the acoustics). The exception is with a few that I leave out here and there so I can pick 'em up quick.

Red 333

Svet, I used to be more routinized about string changing, and slowly do all my guitars in the late winter/spring, but now I do it mainly on a case by case basis, when the strings seem dead or tarnished, or fretboards and bridges look a little dry. I have some guitars that I play infrequently, and I found myself replacing strings that'd only been used one or twice otherwise!

I still change the strings and oil the fretboards on the handful that I tend to play a lot, though, in the winter and spring as before. I tend to travel to see relatives at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and for some reason, restringing becomes part of my pre-travel preparations, along with copious house cleaning. I guess I like to come back knowing everything is in good order. After the holidays, I keep it up, until the frequent-players are all done. As a matter of fact, I just did one (an acoustic) the other day, before you wrote your post!

I like to use boiled lindseed oil on the fretboards and (acoustic guitar) bridges. And, I have a good sized box of mostly Gibson strings at the ready (probably 30 or 40 sets, mostly Vintage Reissues, Brite Wires, and L-5's for electrics and Masterbilt PBs for acoustics). I stock up during the year when I see them on sale. I'll also use some Mequires Scratch X on the pickguards and body if I need to, to remove any fine marks.

Of course, every guitar gets wiped down after each use normally (strings and hardware included), and spritzed with Gibson pump polish before it goes back into its case. As well as keeping the body looking as good as possible, I find this really extends string life, and prevents tarnish on the hardware. Plus, that stuff just smells great when you open the case next time! You get that new guitar smell all over again.

Additionally, I keep most of my guitars in their cases when they're not being played, to protect them and keep them better humidified (in the case of the acoustics). The exception is with a few that I leave out here and there so I can pick 'em up quick.

Red 333

Thanks Red! I just use the fretboard cleaner and conditioner that comes with the Dunlop pack. I've used Mequires in the past too as well as the Planetwaves one. You have to be very careful with the Hydrate PWs one as you can stain white binding with it. Ask me how I know... :(

Gotcha! Of course Ive poked myself! Vever hard enough to bleed though! What strings are you using?

Hey Zep, you sure do need an archtop! I love your Page type Lp! I actually have the Celebration Day concert straming on my Pay per View right now! Awesome cocertbut I can't stand the camera/editing work on this release! It's so choppy it gives me a headache!

Thanks but my collection pales when compared to yours and others here. I need and archtop, a Telecaster, a Gretsch and a Rickenbacker and then I feel it would be complete. The LP is a Gibson USA standard from 2004 in my favourite colour, Iced Tea, with a SD AlNiCo Pro II Slash pickup and historic pup rings, ABR-1 bridge, etc.

My favourite live recording by LZ is 'How the West Was Won' and I tend to play theses versions of the songs when I play them. I have 'Celebration Day' on BluRay and was quite impressed at how good theses guys still are.

Gotcha! Of course Ive poked myself! Vever hard enough to bleed though! What strings are you using?

currently using d'addrio Xl 9's The little E string is tinier than a syringe needle, it goes straight to the bone.

(I was also over describing the blood issue in an attempt at humor. ;-)

currently using d'addrio Xl 9's The little E string is tinier than a syringe needle, it goes straight to the bone.

(I was also over describing the blood issue in an attempt at humor. ;-)

My biggest fear is getting poked in the eye by one! As soon as I have it wound to the post I trim it before moving on to the next string. All those frayed ends dancing around the headstock after a change scares the hell out of me! Im not sure how people get that nice neat wrap that yousometimes see...

Archived