Gibson Brands Forums

Serial number oddity - help please!

sharnete

Hi!

New here so hi to everyone!

I recently realised a long-time dream and managed to get myself a used 2004 J-160e (X-bracing, solid top).. love it to bits!

Only thing is, the serial number on the label and the serial stamped on the headstock don't match (1 digit out), which effectivley splits the manufacture date between September 9th '04 on one and September 16th '04 on the other.

Is this a relativley common occurance and does anyone else have knowledge of this happening?

Many thanks for any insight! Sean

It is probably my old eyes but at first glance I thought the label read "Boseman."

Anyway, My wife's old J-200 has a different FON stamped on the back of the headstock from that on the neck block. The last two digits are switched around. But in this case the number on the headstock was not originally there but stamped by Gibson when they restored the guitar (done before we got it). While it is hard to compare the Bozeman operation in the 2000s with that in Kalamzoo in the 1950s and early 1960s it does show that screw ups can happen.

Is it possible the neck was completed one day and the body completed another.

Maybe the person working the S/N stamping station did the body then as it was late called it a day. Came back the next morning and did the neck. Put the two pieces together...

?

Havn't had a chance to put her through my AC30 yet Jannusguy as my rig is set up at another location... just blown away by the playability and tone acoustically at the moment! [biggrin]

This is the first real Gibson acoustic I've owned (my former acoustic was a 70s Ovation) and a little awe-struck at just how darn playable it is... it's a real grind to have to put it down to go to work :unsure:

Chris and Zombiewoof... interesting stuff!

At a certain angle, the stamped "9" does look like a 2 so maybe the label guy misread the headstock? No idea of the labelling process.. is this done sequentially or per instrument? My problem is going to be recording the serial for my insurance, guessing I'd be best using the headstock stamp as that's permanent.

Archived