Gibson Brands Forums

Hot Hide Glue on CS models

6stringmusic

Time and time again blind tests have proved almost all of us can't tell one from the other even with reasonably significant specs differences, so it leaves me with the impression that the main 'value' associated to a wholly hide glue construction would be its nod to traditional building techniques. I mean if nobody can hear it in blind tests and the best of technology can't capture it, is it actually there, is the 'betterness' people are hearing some psychological hocus-pocus based around what was spent?

There are so many variables when making instrument-to-instrument comparisons that it would seem to be virtually impossible to isolate a single variable as subtle as possible tonal differences resulting from differences in glue.

As you say, hide glue construction is nice as a nod to traditional building techniques. Its mystique may--rightly or wrongly--add to the perceived value of modern hide-glued guitars over time. What is interesting is that you don't usually see sellers of vintage Gibsons hyping their hide-glue construction. When I look at a vintage Gibson, the last question on my mind is "what glue was used in that year?".

Pick up and play it. If you like it, buy it.

It would have been interesting if you didn't know it was hide glue before playing it and compared it to another similar Gibson. I think the mind can "color" what I ears hear. [wink]

That's the thing I had no idea about hide glue This was my first Gibson purchase. That's what bugged me out I could not understand why I keep going back to that guitar. After it was sold I found out the true details of guitar. All hide glue. Sometimes too much knowledge is no good. If I would have just used my ears instead of my eyes I would have bought that one.

There are so many variables when making instrument-to-instrument comparisons that it would seem to be virtually impossible to isolate a single variable as subtle as possible tonal differences resulting from differences in glue.

...and there's the sound of a nail taking a blow to the head from a hammer. :D

Pick up and play it. If you like it, buy it.

That's about it, Nick.... and lest we forget, owning an F1 car will still only get you to the shops and back if you're not much of a driver.

As I say, I've no qualms wit owning or not owning a hide glue constructed guitar... I just don't believe it to be anything other than a nod to yesteryear.

Archived