Gibson Brands Forums

SKUNK!!!!

Californiaman

I truly feel for you. When I lived up north, on warm summer nights we would sometimes sleep with the windows open. When a skunk would meander past sometimes it would wake us up from the "burning tires" smell. Even woprse was running over an already dead skunk and bringing the smell into your garage. Eventually it seeps into your house.

Yep, they are out and about here in the neighborhood.

We've had the terrible smell in the house and all neighbors said they had it too, it is normal..or is it? a neighbor stopped by and was surprised by how strong the smell was in our house.

Turns out a skunk has been using the rabbit holes under our fence to get it and has been taking cover from the rain right by our HVAC, THEN in close inspection of the area I found the flashing between the HVAC unit and the house loose and guess what he got into our crawling space, I opened the door and was met with the smell on my face. The skunk ripped some of the plastic that covers the ground.

I have a .22 airsoft Benjamin rifle and my wife wants me to take him out but I resorted to plug all the rabbit accesses to our yard and also blocked the access to our crawling space.

Yep, they are out and about here in the neighborhood.

We've had the terrible smell in the house and all neighbors said they had it too, it is normal..or is it? a neighbor stopped by and was surprised by how strong the smell was in our house.

Turns out a skunk has been using the rabbit holes under our fence to get it and has been taking cover from the rain right by our HVAC, THEN in close inspection of the area I found the flashing between the HVAC unit and the house loose and guess what he got into our crawling space, I opened the door and was met with the smell on my face. The skunk ripped some of the plastic that covers the ground.

I have a .22 airsoft Benjamin rifle and my wife wants me to take him out but I resorted to plug all the rabbit accesses to our yard and also blocked the access to our crawling space.

We're going skunk hunting with my son's Ruger .177 pellet gun.

I'm gonna shoot me a stanky skunk.

I was once visiting my cousin who has a vineyard in Paso Robles. The house is a one story ranch. I was in bed with the wife and I hear my cousin going in the garage, so I got up to see what was up. He said that this skunk was getting in through the cat door and was driving him nuts. He opened the door and out it went. Well, about 30 minutes later I heard him in the garage again. This time it wouldn't leave, so he threw his shoe at it. Bad idea!

The skunk of course stunk up the entire garage. So then he gets his shotgun and pumps it full of lead...twice!! Wow that made it even worse. We cleaned it as best as we could and went to bed. Now mind you the bedroom is about 15 feet from the garage. My wife gets up in the morning and says "what's that smell"? I said "you mean you didn't hear the shotgun go off last night"? She said "no." She wasn't kidding. Slept right through it. Anyhow, we spent the entire day cleaning the garage. It took about 6 months before the smell was gone.

Yea, it is not a good idea to shoot them, you are playing with a 50/50 chance they will release the entire load of smell and you are in trouble.

The best idea is to eliminate food sources including applying grub killer on your yard.

We have a fenced backyard I am going to make sure he does not get in to begin with.

I had him in my sight, 20 feet away, he was in the middle of the yard and it was raining but I still did not shoot, frankly I do not want to remove a dead skunk.

I saw 3 of them dead on the road today, 2 did not smell one did...terribly.

Yeah, I would not recommend shooting one.

You may wish to check with your state's cooperative extension service office in your county or whatever they call the game department. They likely would have some suggestion as to how to put out something the critters would not care for.

m

I dunno...

When I was a kid I'd help summers on my uncles' farm with haying and livestock a bit.

The place was along the Skunk River.

Rabid skunks were the bane of existence. Loaded shotguns were leaned next to both front and back doors. All the kids in the extended family knew not to touch them and - more dangerous, not to go where there'd been a rabid skunk slobbering around.

Both uncles had more than a few bouts with rabies shots. The smell of shotgunning a skunk was less objectionable than the then-two week round of the shots in one's tummy.

m

I thought this thread was going to be about something different.

I think you need to be British to understand this. Jeff Baxter? Ha ha. Skunk, folks is weed here. The dreadful smell of people openly smoking it here is common. They just walk up the street openly smoking it. Even though it's illegal.

I've been around "that there" Skunk river quite a lot M. It sure gets it's back up easy & floods like the dickens up north of us 40 miles or so.

We have a skunk milling around the back yard every now & then and notice they've been up around the house when I take the dogs out. Always hoping "the boys" don't come across one as the tomato juice bath to clean up is just too time consuming for me to get to work on time. [biggrin]

Funny thing Californy, they put "ode de SKUNK" perfume into natural gas so you can smell it if it's leaking. Natural gas is, of course, odorless w/o the skunk or some other stink they give it.

Aster

Lol..

Ya me too.

Which is why I don't really mind the smell of skunk.

Cept for the dead rotting roadkill ones,, I would never smoke anything that smelled like that.

[laugh]

Here in So Ca. skunks do come into the neighborhoods from time to time.

I had one cornered in my yard once, and the humane dept came out to take care of it.

He told me that they had to kill them on the spot due to rapies.

He said skunks have one of the highest rate of rabies of all animals.

The skunk was in our dog house, so he tipped the dog house on its side, covering the opening with some type of cloth, then poured a liquid over the cloth. The skunk was dead in about 10 min.

I was worried about our dogs going back into the dog house with the poison still in it, but he said it would clear out in less than 20 min.

He also said that a skunks spray has an oil in it, and that is why it is difficult to was off.

I feel for you, that is the most disgusting smell.

Cman, they are bad down here along the So. Cal coast. My dog was sprayed just 2 nights ago. She's been spending the night outside lately. I know exactly when it happened because I saw her running around like a chicken with it's head cut off and also smelled the strong odor by the front door. We tried tomato juice on her nose - no avail.

Had an Austrian visitor once and I asked him what the name for skunk was in German. He said "Stink tier" - stink animal. Very appropriate.

I once had a family of 5 living under my back step. They never sprayed, even when my cat came nose to nose with one of the adults.

Still didn't want them around so I deposited some used cat litter down the hole entrance to their lair once they left for the evening and they never came back.

I was surprised not to see any jokes about Colorado and/or Washington yet… of course living in Oregon is really no different. It might not be legal here but that's only because growers realize they can make more keeping it illegal. In many towns I think the law just turns a blind eye to it... unless you happen to be this pair of morons.

Pot Arrest

But yes, "real" skunks do stink… my old work got sprayed and the building stunk for a year.

I was thinking the same thing I just did not want to jinx it...

Plus I think the 10-15 inches of snow forecast for tonight is counter indicative of thatmsp_lol.gif

It's certainly spring here… they just posted a fire weather watch for parts of Oregon (in January!!!)) Skunks or no skunks, that's just strange.

Sorry to all you left coasters getting hammered by another storm…

Archived