Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
J. Georg

LP 59 - structure of maple top

Hi

I just received my first LP ever. It is so great! However I wonder about the structure of the maple top. Never seen this before. What do you think? Should I return it and ask for a new one?

As I mentioned, I have no experience with Gibson, so any help/advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

post-62849-016663500 1390322715_thumb.jpg

Is it a finish problem or is that how the grain of the wood is? Does it sound good?

It's about the grain. Finish is fine. It sounds good. However, remember I am new to LP.

It's about the grain. Finish is fine. It sounds good. However, remember I am new to LP.

I guess I am not seeing the issue you are talking about. I do see some fantastic grain patterns. Maybe you were expecting a near perfect grain pattern where each half of the top to be a mirror image of the other side. Many of us want the type of top you have. I assume you received it from an authorized Gibson dealer, so they should be able to take a look at it or should have looked at it and set it up before it was shipped to you. It is hard to tell if there is an issue from the photo. Can you be more specific?

I guess I am not seeing the issue you are talking about. I do see some fantastic grain patterns. Maybe you were expecting a near perfect grain pattern where each half of the top to be a mirror image of the other side. Many of us want the type of top you have. I assume you received it from an authorized Gibson dealer, so they should be able to take a look at it or should have looked at it and set it up before it was shipped to you. It is hard to tell if there is an issue from the photo. Can you be more specific?

CR 9,

Thanks, I think that answered my question. I also like the grain, it looks like a flash, pretty cool. However, up to now I have only seen "near perfect pattern" as you described above. So, I just wanted to know now whether I do have an issue here. (Better now than in 2 yrs when somebody is looking at it and is asking me why I didn't return this guitar with that obvious grain pattern flaw.)

so, thanks!

Hello J. Georg, and welcome to this nice place! [thumbup]

Congrats on your fine guitar. These flaws in the graining might appear when carving a maple top into shape. All of my Gibson Les Paul guitars, including two AAA grade models, do have some of these grain inconsistencies while the figuring is great or even marvellous. Depending on the environmental conditions, trees build up certain strengthenings in their fibres containing more protein which darkens the basically colourless cellulose.

It may appear like irony, but the only flawless tops are the maple veneers on one Epiphone and two Fenders of mine - no wonder since there has been done no carving at all. These are sliced and bent, so they have to look more consistent than a carved top. If your Les Paul is a nice player and puts out great sound, I wouldn't worry. However, it is all up to you.

Hope this helps.

Some of the highest priced Gibson Custom shop guitars are the Collectors Choice guitars. While this is not exactly like yours, you can see that it is not a mirror image top. That grain pattern in yours makes it unique, just like "redeye" below. If yours plays good and feels right, it should be a 'keeper".

Collector's Choice

CC16A143-440x306.jpg

My less-than educated guess is that you have a large streak of mineral deposits in the top. I personally like the unique marking it makes. If I really liked the guitar's feel and voice, I would keep it. However, I can understand a buyer passing on that guitar if the mark was too distracting for them.

This is the same guitar that CR9 posted, but with different lighting. In this pic you can see the grain is pretty odd as well, but I like it, gives it character. I really love the flame pattern. Sorry for posting on a two year old thread, I was just excited to see the store pic from when I bought it from Dave's Guitar! I instantly recognized it. CC#16 143 Aged RedEye.

Some of the highest priced Gibson Custom shop guitars are the Collectors Choice guitars. While this is not exactly like yours, you can see that it is not a mirror image top. That grain pattern in yours makes it unique, just like "redeye" below. If yours plays good and feels right, it should be a 'keeper".

Collector's Choice

CC16A143-440x306.jpg

post-77077-043949300 1455866841_thumb.jpg

I'm liking that streak through; a bit of character, and makes it a very distinguishable guitar! I wouldn't worry about any structural issues; I would hazard a guess that if it was a fault then the strains of carving the top would have probably caused it to split and show itself.

Atop that; the solid bond of the glue between the maple and mahogany means that nothing is going to be moving in a hurry.

And someone might correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine that this sort of thing would be covered by the Gibson warranty if you're the first owner.