Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Martin Authentics

JuanCarlosVejar

I was kind of hoping to be blown away by the sonic aspect of these guitars ... i don't know what kind of equipment they used to record the sound clips but man both sounded like a plastic guitar you find at a super market to me :

I'm sorry but if that's the best martin has that's a big thumbs down from me . I hope it was the way they were recorded and not the guitars themselves that made them sound like that .

JC

I used to have a D-18 Authentic and I know what they are talking about on the UMGF when they talk about "more guitar". It was so light and responsive compared to any Martin I've played/owned, (I had a D-18GE at the time also). The problem I had with it was that I prefer slightly less responsive guitars.

The D-18 made a great guitar for flatpicking bluegrass lead lines, but I didn't think it was that great of a strummer. I always found it a little harsh for that purpose so I sold it and bought a great straight braced D-18 (and a D-28 later on). Now those two guitars are very special to me and are far more versatile in my opinion(blasphemy I know to get rid of a super powered scalloped braced guitar for a lowly straight model [tongue]).

I think the Authentics are great guitars for what they do (bluegrass), but they don't do everything better. There is a lot of hype around them, but I think that hype follows every top of the range (most expensive) model around (especially when it comes to Martins).

I honestly think it's the way he is playing them in the video, especially the d-28. It's just an opinion but I seriously can't see how Martin would let them come out sounding like that. I love Martins and have played a few d-28s and they sound nothing like that one. It could be a lot of factors but I truly believe it has something to do with how he was playing the d-28.

I have a 2011 Martin D-18 Authentic (the 1937 reissue version). It is the best Martin I have played. My favorite new guitar is my Sheryl Crow SJ followed by the Martin. I love both Martins and Gibsons, and my preference for the SJ actually says more about my personal taste than the quality of the tone of either of these two fine guitars.

Lars

Well first off, he's strumming the D-28 with his thumb!

I suspect this particular video does not represent these two Authentics at their best.

Jack, I'm with you. I traded a scalloped HD-28VS for a straight D-28 a while back for just the same reasons.

Now I mainly play '50s (straight braced) mahogany 0, 00 and 000s.

Why would Martin release a sound clip demonstrating a new high dollar dread with the player strumming it with his thumb? That really is quite bizarre.

You should be 'enamoured' with the dudes slick sales pitch and 'soul patch' enough to "pull the trigger" on one of these 'authentic models'....

Just a 'sign of the times' I guess?

Worked for our president.

The proof is in the pudding as they say [thumbup]

I was in a GC a few days ago looking for a case, went in to the acoustic room two guys playing martins I think standard models. Went to talk to a sales person about the case, didn't have what wanted. Back to the acoustic room to see if they had an LG-2 no luck.Walking out I heard a really nice sounding guitar ask the guy what it was, a 1941 D-28 Authentic. With a price to match

Don't be put off by the cork-sniffing presentation. The A-Line models are meticulous repros (think J45 Legend on steriods), right down to the absence of a truss rod. And, as many folks here prefer the TV series to the Legendaries, lots of players would would be just fine with a vintage series or golden era model. But if you want an old-school martin, there it its. Ps, re the add: the guy in the video doesnt look like the kind of guy who can pony up for one of these, so one wodners how CFM sees their target markert.

Anyway, for you armchair shoppers, here's a better clip, this time of a 00018A. 00018A

He probably ran out of time before the recording started to find his plectrum. Had to use his thumb, he'll be annoyed when he watches and sees it was stuck to his bottom lip the whole time.

He did make that guitar sound truly awful. Lots of people play with a thumb and it doesnt sound like that!

Everyone knows a martin needs a $50 pick

There was an interview I saw with Chris Martin talking about the authentic series. He said they wanted to try to build a guitar to rival the great prewar holies so they put together several prototypes using different methods. What they found was the method that most closely approximated the exact way of doing it in the Martin factory back then - hide glue and some other aspects of production which are more costly than regular current production - sounded best to a lot of the people who evaluated the results.

A lot of people over at UMGF rave about the authentic series, pretty much the same way people here go on about the legend series. I will say that some of the folks on UMGF who rave about the authentics also get all bent out of shape over 'whisper cracks' and other cosmetic issues, which makes me wonder if they are that into the sound, which is the only reason I can see for getting one. Some I suspect are trophy hunters more than tone mavens so take what is said with a grain or two of salt.

Fwiw, the 000 was strung with silk and steels strings. No, it's not ZAP-POW, but you can hear ithe sweetness. The D was a fail, but even so, you can sense some restrained power. Good gits, bad execution and worth a talll glass of "what were they thinking?"

ps here's a soundclip of the 28A, courtesy of umgf. Still not ZAP-POW, but check the meaty yet clear bass and top ring. Very good. Maybe not 8k good. But good. http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10299785&q=hi&newref=1

Guess this video only proves, that the folks at martin believe that there are quite a few people out there, that care more about specs than tone. Guess they are right about that! You just have to be a close reader of any guitar related forum to know its true. [blush]

I'm not saying these guitars don't have tone or don't sound good, probably these sound as good as any high end guitar.

Archived