Gibson Brands Forums

What color does aged toner turn?

k-zoo sport

Hello all,

I have a 2012 Martin D-18 with the aged toner on the top. My 2001 DX1 and my 2009 D-16 aged very nicely and I could see the color turn over time. However, with this new "aged toner" on my almost new D-18 I have no idea what to expect in the future. Any idea what color it will turn if any?

Thanks,

​Frankie

I would think the guitars with the aged toner have not been around long enough to show the effect of time so nobody knows.

The only non-burst guitars I have up and running are fairly - new from the late 1950s and early 1960s. On one the top looks pretty much like it is brand new. The other resembles a 1910s Gibson pumpkin top mandolin because it has a shellac finish.

As I understand it, the 'aging toner' is nothing more than tinted lacquer, which is exactly what Gibson's sunbursts are. My guess is sunlight will slightly fade the tint of the lacquer over time, but at the same time the spruce underneath will darken.

I'm with Jerry. The tint will fade, and the more that happens, the more sunlight will reach the wood and the more it will darken, eventually reaching equilibrium. I believe a sligthly toned top and a non-toned top will eventually look about the same, given enough time.

Lars

... I have a 2012 Martin D-18 with the aged toner on the top. My 2001 DX1 and my 2009 D-16 aged very nicely and I could see the color turn over time. However, with this new "aged toner" on my almost new D-18 I have no idea what to expect in the future. Any idea what color it will turn if any?

A pic of your D-18 would've been nice so we could see the relative shade - I can't be sure what your starting point is. The lacquer and top wood will change over time - the lacquer will go a bit to the yellow and the top wood will darken. My 1998 D-45VR has toner in the finish and at 15 years of age it looks a bit darker to me, but in pics it doesn't look much different than other toned Martins of that time period - they were going a bit darker back then than the V series does now. Maybe these pics will help -

1998 D-45VR with aging toner -

D45vr-front-md.jpg

1996 D45 200th Anniversary with aging toner -

96D45_.jpg

1996 D-45 no aging toner -

mtyxok82st5apsed5gvj.jpg

Archived