Gibson Brands Forums

mama weer all crazy now

Rabs

In my early teenage years I was dancing on the desks at school while singing Slade songs. Had the right kind of voice for that these days... [biggrin]

I still love to hear old Slade songs. Take Me Bak 'Ome is still my favorite:

Gotta love a bit of Slade :)

Yup. I was 11 and remember thinking they were great fun then and I still think they're great fun now.

I happened to read their wiki entry a few months back.

They were the most successful band in the UK, in terms of singles sold, of the whole of the '70s even although they were really only active from '70 - '76.

They were the first band to have three successive singles enter the UK charts at #1. Between '71 and '74 alone they had no fewer than twelve top-5 singles.

They are second only to The Beatles in terms of numbers of top 20 hits in a decade; 17 between '71 and '76 (The Beatles had 22 in the '60s).

Other little bits of trivia;

From 1969 they were managed by none other than Chas Chandler - who, more famously, had manged Jimi Hendrix.

Some of the acts who (according to wiki) have cited Slade as an influence; Kiss; Cheap Trick; The Ramones; The Sex Pistols; The Clash; Def Leppard; Nirvana; The Smashing Pumpkins; Oasis.

Anyone with ten minutes or so to spare might find this interesting;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slade

P.

Did the US get them? I was a TRex fan myself.

I believe they failed to make any headway in the U.S. In their time, they were one of the best live Rock and Roll band around, very exciting to see. I was lucky enough to see them supported by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, and the ticket was around £3! That's what I call value for money, two great live bands.

Here's another good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyaByF4MK20

Ian.

Deceptively skilled musically and compositionally... :blink: ...

"Lea, who also played the piano and guitar, had been in the Staffordshire Youth Orchestra and had gained first class honours in a London music-school practical exam."

P.

In my early teenage years I was dancing on the desks at school while singing Slade songs. Had the right kind of voice for that these days... [biggrin]

I still love to hear old Slade songs. Take Me Bak 'Ome is still my favorite:

Did anyone notice what a clever piece of staging this performance is?

Each bandmember is shadowed by a dancer wearing similar clothes...

IMO well cool... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Did anyone notice what a clever piece of staging this performance is?

Each bandmember is shadowed by a dancer wearing similar clothes...

IMO well cool... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Yes, and the girls look darn pretty. [love]

I also think that showing some more skin is a far better idea for the girls than for the Slade members. ;)

Archived