Gibson Brands Forums

METAL HEADS What pickups are making your Gibson METAL

Paulus Hook

Hey these days many metal heads via Ola Englund, Keith Merrow, John Petrucci, etc are def not using Les Pauls for their sound. That doesn't mean a Les Paul can't keep up with these ibanez's, schecters, Music mans and such for metal. Sure the necks aren't as fast but who gives a f***. So tell me which AMPLIFIER, DIST PEDALS, LES PAUL MODEL,and PICKUPS as well as any other mods do you use to get that tight bone crushing sound????

This is My setup, and I like it much better on my Gibsons which are way tighter now, than on my Schecter SLS C-1A with blackouts which is typically the more metal guitar.

AMPS

2012 Black Diamond plated Mesa Dual rec multi-watt through a 4x12 oversized mesa cab or 2x12 mesa cab

backup is a Peavey 6505+

DIST/Effects

Ibanez ts-9 mixed with a boss eq

Guitars

2013 Gibson Les Paul standard with a 500T in the bridge

2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge

2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio with a Dirty Fingers in the bridge[/font][/font][/size][/size]

In my opinion, metal sound is an amp and speaker thing in first order. In particular, the tone controls have to be post overdrive and should allow for decently scooped mids. FX pedals will cause unwanted noise in most applications.

Pickups or pickup positions haven't much to do with metal tone except for avoiding dead spots which is easiest when using the bridge pickup. Any humbucker or noiseless pickup is fine. When emulating appropriate amps, all of my guitars are well suited for playing metal, with certain restrictions when wanting to use real single coils or coil split.

Hello!

For metal, I prefer my L6s (with 490/498 pickup combo), or the Tele (!).

For grit, I used to use an Ibanez TS-10 together with an Ibanez Fat Cat, but now that my OKKO Diablo Plus clone is almost ready I prefer that with an EP Booster. High gain, with less noise and harshness.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

For metal, I prefer my L6s (with 490/498 pickup combo), or the Tele (!).

Cheers... Bence

Can strongly confirm that. It seems that maple constructions support the important midrange sustain. Sturdy necks do the same and additionally suffer less from dull notes.

My metal hitlist taken from the the axes listed in my signature is the following, all with stock pickups:

- Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013 ('57 Classic/'57 Classic Plus)

- Fender American Deluxe Telecaster Ash (N3 Noiseless Tele neck & bridge)

- Gibson L6S 2011 (490R & 498T) - like quoted from you [smile]

- Gibson Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess (496R & 498T & - by the way - Graph Tech Ghost LB63CR piezos)

They are followed by my SCN-(Samarium Cobalt Noiseless)-modded Fender FR Stratocasters and my N3 Noiseless-retrofitted Nashville Power Telecaster.

I guess the current Gibson Les Paul LPJ guitars are fine for metal. Their '50s rounded maple neck and 490R/498T pickups should nicely support chunky power chords and searing leads.

Archived