Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lucciano

What is the earliest les Paul

Judging by the shape of the pick guard, that guitar might have started life as a Les Paul Special. I believe that was the name of the Junior that came with two pick ups. If the volume and tone potentiometers are original, they have codes on them that will give you an approximate date of manufacture. See if you can get the numbers off them and post them here. I wonder how old those pickups are? They might be from the late 50s or early 60s.

Those pickups are intriguing for sure...

If they're not original, I suppose there's even a chance it originally had P90's in it and it was routed for humbuckers... That was a semi-popular modification once humbuckers hit the marketplace, but it's just pure speculation on my part about the possibility on this axe... I also suspect that possibly the comment on the shape of the pickguard might reject that possibility too...

I think it's still worth a pretty penny if it were in original configuration, with either original pickups or an era correct set of replacements...

Play it, love it!

Play it, love it!

For sure, the value of the guitar is unfortunately going to be diminished because collectors want all original guitars but it is a great looking guitar. So Love it, Play it!

Ah, that makes sense...

I had seen one or two somewhere listed as TV Yellow that were actually whitish in color; like an antique white. They must have been misidentified...

Is there much of a difference between the '59 & '54? Did the early Juniors also sport the wrap-tail?

AFAIK, all of the Juniors sported the wrap tail-piece, I've never seen one from the 50's with an adjustable bridge unless it was modified. I still have mine, here's a pic.

10506333055_0ab22abcb6_b.jpg

AFAIK, all of the Juniors sported the wrap tail-piece, I've never seen one from the 50's with an adjustable bridge unless it was modified. I still have mine, here's a pic.

That's a fine looking axe there!

I'll bet they make great slide axes too!!!

I'll have to keep that in mind! [biggrin]

Those pickups are intriguing for sure...

If they're not original, I suppose there's even a chance it originally had P90's in it and it was routed for humbuckers... That was a semi-popular modification once humbuckers hit the marketplace, but it's just pure speculation on my part about the possibility on this axe... I also suspect that possibly the comment on the shape of the pickguard might reject that possibility too...

I think it's still worth a pretty penny if it were in original configuration, with either original pickups or an era correct set of replacements...

Play it, love it!

Juniors only came with P90's. That guitar was most certainly routed to fit humbucker's. However, the hum bucker's might've been bought in the late 50s early 60s and might be worth something on their own. The only way to tell is to take them out and look at them.

Wow ! that's a really lovely guitar, indeed !

i'd give my left almond to have THAT guitar !!!

Wow... I wonder what it sounds like! Looks so simple in design yet elegant!

Wonder how much one of those babies would cost?

Can you identify this guitar?   It's not a solid body.  Pic from about 1953 in Memphis.  I've always been told it was  a Gibson Les Paul electric.  That's me playing sax.  Family band.

Can't figure out how to attach pic

Joe

19 hours ago, Joe Dunlap said:

Can you identify this guitar?   It's not a solid body.  Pic from about 1953 in Memphis.  I've always been told it was  a Gibson Les Paul electric.  That's me playing sax.  Family band.

Can't figure out how to attach pic

Joe

Hi Joe, welcome to the old folks home forum. [laugh]

You gave me a genuine lol there.