Gibson Brands Forums

Family Picture and NGD

jrplefty

20140124_223657.jpg

This is the acoustic family. The LG-2 AE I acquired a couple of weeks before Christmas and the D-35 I got tonight. So, it's a double NGD of sorts. I am in the process of breaking the strings in. Once that happens, I will try to get a video/sound clip posted.

20140124_223429.jpg

The back of the D-35.

20140124_223937.jpg

The unfortunate victim of my guitar playing addiction.

Early apologies for the bad pictures. I have a subpar instantaneous time freezing device and a space with less than optimal lighting.

Happy pickin' and grinnin'

JRP

The D-35 is a fantastic allround and loyal guitar - outshines most D-28's in my opinion.

A bit lighter braced, but still robust and reliable. Bass-strong and loud without being boomy.

If I was to choose the horse for crossing the prairie, mountains and rivers with the rough boys, I would take the one that reminded me of a D-35 -

and call it, , , , D-35. .

JR .... Wow man, what a trio! Congrats! I just bought an '06 D35 about 2 months ago. I love the low profile neck ... it is unlike other Martins I've tried. It took me 3 years to find one that I thought has excellent playability. Just got it back from the shop after a pro setup and today I'm gonna play it 'till I can't hold it any longer. I tried a set of my normal Gibby strings .... D'Addario PB lgts ..... but they didn't quite bring out the best in the 35 as did the original strings. Switched to Martin SP and right now they sound just right. We'll see how they wear.

I really like those AEs also. The one I played was sweet. Enjoy and thanks for posting.

Fantastic DNGD there neighbor! That's a nice herd, including the SG. Since I have the same finish SG and a D-35 in my stable too I can't help respecting your taste [thumbup] I've got a jumbo too, but mine's an old Guild. That J-200 is awesome! My dogs aren't that impressed with my playing, but my cat likes to curl up behind my back in the chair as soon as I start...I think he likes the vibrations.

Did you get the new ones locally?

EM-7, I was able to play a D-28, HD-28, and the pictured D-35, and I agree that the sound and feel of the D-35 was more to my liking than either D-28 which are excellent guitars in their own right. I'm looking forward to getting to know this little guy and watch that bright white top fade into that aged yellow we all know and love.

Rampix, I was able to get the D-35 locally; however, I had to order the LG-2 AE. I would imagine that Denver has a larger network of shops with a more than adequate Gibson stock on hand, with Wildwood being the one most of us are familiar with.

Thanks everyone for all of the kind words [thumbup]

True about the Denver area shops, but I hate the drive. I'm guessing GC since Rob at Spotlight seems to have backed off Gibson and Martin in favor of Taylor in the higher end acoustic stuff. I'm sure it was a business decision, but I miss the variety there. Enjoy the new family members!

True about the Denver area shops, but I hate the drive. I'm guessing GC since Rob at Spotlight seems to have backed off Gibson and Martin in favor of Taylor in the higher end acoustic stuff. I'm sure it was a business decision, but I miss the variety there. Enjoy the new family members!

Yeah, it was GC, as much as I hate to admit it just because I like giving Rob my business; however, I did walk right out of GC and drive to Spotlight to buy a new set of strings and a stand to help me feel better about the situation. I talked to Rob a couple years back when I was hunting for my J-200, and he told me the only reason he isn't willing to be a Gibson dealer anymore is because he can't meet the requirements to list his stock online.

I was sure it was something like that. Rob and his wife are good people and run a great store. I bought two amps from him last year as I've been getting into electrics and needed (?) to see the difference between a tube amp and the Mustang 2 that I bought first. I try to buy strings, polish or just about anything whenever I'm in there to support the local business. Sounds like you do the same [thumbup]

Archived