Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on 2013 LP Standard Plus

Dave F

I had a 2008 LP Custom '68 RI I sold last year.

I loved the sound but the 10.6 lbs was too much for me.

When I was younger the weight didn't matter.

The Tri Burst wasn't growing on me either.

If I remember right it had the '57 Humbuckers like my Chet Atkins Country Gentleman.

I was in a local Sam Ash and they had a 2013 Standard Desert Burst that I liked.

I sinced shopped around and found some good leftover Christmas deals.

I'm not familiar with these newer weight relieved models but the 8.6 lbs felt more comfortable.

I'm not that familar with the Pro Buster PU either but I like the '57 sound.

The Desert Burst is definitely the look I want.

From what I can tell the only difference between the Traditional and Traditional Standard and Standard Plus is the grade of the top wood.

Any opinions

I wasn't aware there was a trad plus. I just got a 2014 standard plus and a 2013 standard premium, and while I haven't had a chance to look them over in great detail, I know the plus was advertised as grade AAA top and the premium was AAAA. Personally I like the grain pattern on the plus more, and there is a small defect (birdeye) on the outer edge. The premium has binding covering the fret edges where the plus doesn't have that. One thing I did notice about both was that the pots are push/pull. I prefer the push/push pots, like those that are on my 2013 trad pro.

In your last sentence I think you meant to say standard not traditional. [confused]

I own a 2013 Standard and love it. The binding over the frets, the great electronics and the figuring of mine is pretty darn close to a standard plus yet I save $300.

If you are like me and want a great guitar with great looks, do not order online unless you can see the actual guitar (like at sweetwater) as I have seen AA tops look crappy and AAA tops look like they should be AA tops.

This is my 2013 standard LP (AA top) that I picked up last week for well under 2k.

Good luck in your search!

short-front.png

You are lucky if you find one around 8.6 lbs. My Modern Weight Relieved LP Standards are about 9.6 resp. 9.8 lbs. My 2011 special run Quilt came with Burstbuckers 1 & 2 like the 2013s but with true coil split only, my 2012 Premium Plus with Burstbuckers Pro and the same switching options as the 2013 model.

All the Burstbuckers are great, they are not so far from the '57s, just provide a little bit more trebly bite. However, these differences are so delicate that they may vary from one guitar to another. Although the BB 1 & 2 and BB Pros share the same coils having different magnets, my Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus featuring Gibson '57/'57 Plus is in between of my Gibsons soundwise.

My final decision has always been based on tone and playability first, then on looks. I cross my fingers for you when feeling, listening and looking for the one with your name on it. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
1390737518[/url]' post='1478238']

In your last sentence I think you meant to say standard not traditional. [confused]

I own a 2013 Standard and love it. The binding over the frets, the great electronics and the figuring of mine is pretty darn close to a standard plus yet I save $300.

If you are like me and want a great guitar with great looks, do not order online unless you can see the actual guitar (like at sweetwater) as I have seen AA tops look crappy and AAA tops look like they should be AA tops.

This is my 2013 standard LP (AA top) that I picked up last week for well under 2k.

Good luck in your search!

short-front.png

Archived