Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 anyone. . .

E-minor7

No problem.. I would of said a Gibson in different models but I didnt want to rock the boat with whos is better than the others.. I like all U.S guitars.. but I find that spending lots on a Little item is going in the wrong direction t... .. as for the price of Garys Gibson 45.. someone will buy it.. and never play it so it holds its overpriced value..

I'd only consider it at that price if it didn't have the adjustable bridge. Too much a tone killer for me. [thumbdn]

Em7 is a student of the much-maligned adjustable bridge, particularly those, like this one, that have the ceramic saddle. What kills tone for some, makes tone for him.

One thing I will say about Gary - nice stuff but he has never been bashful about pricing. I really want to know though, where are those guys that will pay that much for a 1960 J-45 when I have something up for sale.

ZW, it's listed for that price, let's see if it sells for that price. [unsure]

Em7 is a student of the much-maligned adjustable bridge, particularly those, like this one, that have the ceramic saddle. What kills tone for some, makes tone for him.

I have always believed the saddles were more the problem than the bridge. The rosewood saddles though were even worse.

Also, didn't Gibson use two different versions of the ADJ bridge.

The automatic negative reaction to adjustable saddles is worth a test.

In theory it might seem as a bad idea to lift the saddle from the top* – in reality it's not necessarily so.

And it certainly isn't the tone-killer so many people talk about. The rosewood saddle is dampening the sound, yes – but even that might be just right for certain recordings.

The ceramic version is the opposite. Think about it – porcelain is a rather hard material and hard material transmits sound effectively. If you like the tone is another matter.

I'd say 2 of the best sounding J-45 I've tried was early 60's models with ceramic saddles. They sang Gibson like Caruso sang opera.

I have reinstalled the ceramic on my 1963 SJ and feel satisfied with the result. Ask Father Of Pearl how he likes the tone.

An adjustable bridge/saddle would never keep me from buying a vintage Gibson.

Quite opposite – I would take the chance and hear how it sounds – then exchange the saddle for a wooden insert with ordinary sized bone-saddle, if it was to sharp.

Could even go the full step and put on an entirely new 'modern' bridge.

So my advice is to loosen up about the prejudice regarding these classic Gibson features – they weren't that big mistake they have been called.

And think again – how many times have you heard players talk enthusiastically about the Rolling Stones Bird sound – let me add the crisp voice of hey-day-Donovan's 1964 J-45.

They both had ceramic saddle folks !

*of course top-contact is preferred, but it is NOT as vital as the myth tells us. . .

While I'm not an expert by any mean , I adhere to eminor7's point.

Hummingbirds are revered due to their history in famous recordings of the past. And lots of times the hummingbird had an adjustable saddle.

I honestly think that I would like to see a 'true vintage' or whatever they decide to call it , with a replica saddle the way they used to be .

I actually like the thoughts of one.

While I'm not an expert by any mean , I adhere to eminor7's point.

Hummingbirds are revered due to their history in famous recordings of the past. And lots of times the hummingbird had an adjustable saddle.

I honestly think that I would like to see a 'true vintage' or whatever they decide to call it , with a replica saddle the way they used to be .

I actually like the thoughts of one.

They are already out there - not many, but Bozeman made a round of them some years ago.

A bit skeptical as I tend to believe the clue is found in the mix between the china and the dry wood. Then again, that's not what we hear on the Stones tunes.

But yes, , , I'd be the first to take it from the wall. .

They are already out there - not many, but Bozeman made a round of them some years ago.

A bit skeptical as I tend to believe the clue is found in the mix between the china and the dry wood. Then again, that's not what we hear on the Stones tunes.

But yes, , , I'd be the first to take it from the wall. .

Maybe simply the way Keith plays it!

Any old saddle will do

Archived