Gibson Brands Forums

watched a bit with Paul, Ringo, Willie, Kris, Merle and Blake... . Julian sure looked alot like J Lennon tonight.. tak about a flashback...

the rest needs to be cleaned up and put forward better entertainers , todays music is bad for the soul..

I've no interest in music awards, but do usually turn to YouTuibe after the Grammys so see some of the performances, which I did this morning. Low point from last night: Ringo sitting in with Paul, with Ringo ablaze under stage lights lightly tapping the 2 & 4 while another drummer in the dark played all the difficult stuff.

I did think that the Daft Punk/Pharell Williams/Stevie Wonder performance was great. Kendrick Lamar put on a great performance, too, though Imagine Dragon as his backing band was a bit lame. Kudos to whoever thought to pair classical pianist Lang Lang with Metallica, though Kirk Hammett's guitar was way out of tune, marring what otherwise would have been interesting.

And, of course, it was nice to learn that Rodney, Emmylou, and Guy picked up some bling.

Once I got to the moment it was a little disappointing

I like Willie , Kris and Merle a lot but they are getting up there. I think Merle is the youngster at 76. I would still pay to see them but I think all would have been better served if they did a duet with a younger artist one at a time. I think all three at once was too much for Blake.

Overall, IMHO as Charles Barkley says, "it wuz turrible". I, too, waited for Willie, Kris and Merle. I think a different song choice would have benefited them more. Kris looked like he crawled out of the grave to be there. I believe he's passed his performing days, for sure! I do respect and admire his catalogue of songs though. I guess I'm just way too far over-the-hill, I just can't find any reason to like the new "music". A complete lack of true talent and musicianship. As JT said, it was good to see Rodney & Emmylou pick up some hardware. And Paul and Ringo together again was great. Wonder what it will be like when all of those great artists are gone? I shudder to think!

The performance I wanted to see was Lindsay Buckingham with Trent Reznor and Queens of the Stone age. I sat through that torturous agonizing 3 hour show so as not to miss THAT performance and when it finally comes on they roll the credits, play ads, and end the show mid song. I am so pissed I will never be drawn into their nonsense again. [cursing]

I've a friend who is a session musician in Nashville and in the touring band of one of the most famous country artists in the land. He's a guy steeped in traditional music who makes his living in contemporary country music. If ever there were someone who might be tempted to dismiss dance, hip hop, and other modern variations of urban music, it would be he. But, here's what he sent me this morning:

"My take on the Grammys - it's what I expected. As for what the show presents, it presents the current state of musical tastes in pop culture. I may not like it all or understand it, but then again, I don't live in an urban culture where a lot of this music would be more relevant to me. It's a big world out there and music is always changing, some for the better and some for the worse. Every once in a while, timeless music comes along that is embraced as truly special by the culture en masse. Rest assured, in a short 10 years from now, music will be different and so will the Grammys. I have learned to embrace the change and appreciate even more that music I hold dear. I enjoyed the pre television awards on the live stream too, as that represents a lot of what I like musically. The Grammys had some new fellas and gals and some legends. It's all music and ultimately its all an expression of those who created it and performed it. Find what you like, buy it, support it. Everything else will be there for those who like it..."

I remember my father railing in the mid 1960s against "that noise that you call music." Now I find my generation asserting the same sentiment in response to modern music. It's good that music can move on, for better or worse, as my friend put it. to reflect the culture of the times.

I've a friend who is a session musician in Nashville and in the touring band of one of the most famous country artists in the land. He's a guy steeped in traditional music who makes his living in contemporary country music. If ever there were someone who might be tempted to dismiss dance, hip hop, and other modern variations of urban music, it would be he. But, here's what he sent me this morning:

"My take on the Grammys - it's what I expected. As for what the show presents, it presents the current state of musical tastes in pop culture. I may not like it all or understand it, but then again, I don't live in an urban culture where a lot of this music would be more relevant to me. It's a big world out there and music is always changing, some for the better and some for the worse. Every once in a while, timeless music comes along that is embraced as truly special by the culture en masse. Rest assured, in a short 10 years from now, music will be different and so will the Grammys. I have learned to embrace the change and appreciate even more that music I hold dear. I enjoyed the pre television awards on the live stream too, as that represents a lot of what I like musically. The Grammys had some new fellas and gals and some legends. It's all music and ultimately its all an expression of those who created it and performed it. Find what you like, buy it, support it. Everything else will be there for those who like it..."

I remember my father railing in the mid 1960s against "that noise that you call music." Now I find my generation asserting the same sentiment in response to modern music. It's good that music can move on, for better or worse, as my friend put it. to reflect the culture of the times.

Thats a healthy attitude to keep hold of. Running around thinking you're superior and everyone is a bit retarded because of what music moves them is a real shame.

I did see a few things I liked.

Carole King and Sara Bareillis - good all around

Chicago. They sounded great. I wish Robin Thicke wasn't up there with them. He showed what a weak voice he has.

Lorde - This young girl impressed me.

Kacey Musgraves - not sure what she sang, but she was good to look at. Her guitar looked so beat up I was for sure JT must have played at sometime. What was that?

Everything else I either muted it, switched stations, missed it, was dissapointed or did not like it.

Chicago. They sounded great. I wish Robin Thicke wasn't up there with them. He showed what a weak voice he has.

Kacey Musgraves - not sure what she sang, but she was good to look at. Her guitar looked so beat up I was for sure JT must have played at sometime. What was that?

Everything else I either muted it, switched stations, missed it, was dissapointed or did not like it.

Loved the blinking jackets Musgrave's band wore and her LONG legs. Nice voice, good tune and she's a looker.

Musgraves' guitar reminded me of Trigger. Nylon classical, obviously. Possibly an old Cordoba?

Pictures in the web show Gibsons among others.