Gibson Brands Forums

Old Guy Guitar memory

PartsPvt

I worked for a CMI GIBSON/VOX/THOMAS ORGAN store and demo'd and worked the rooms at NAMM shows in Chicago mid..60s..to early 70s. I was young and very lucky. I was offered any guitar at Dealer cost.

I ordered this beautiful guitar sometime 1966-7 and have had it since delivery. I wasn't sure the exact date..as the day I got it I was just knocked out to own this.

Emailed Gibson as I saw he might help with the shipping date. Yesterday 1/25/2014 I emailed.

..received this today..

Hi,

Thanks for the email. In the Gibson Shipping Ledger Archives, the serial number 858xxx shows an ES-355TDSV model in Walnut finish, shipped from the Kalamazoo factory on 1-25-1967. Unfortunately, the shipping totals do not have separate totals for the finishes on this model. However, this would indeed be an early 355 in Walnut, as it wasn’t a standard option shown on the price list until 1968! I have attached information on the model for your viewing. Thanks again, and I hope this helps!!

Yes..it left the factory 47 years to the date I inquired about the shipping date. Weird.. I waited all these years and days to inquire about it..on the same date it left the factory..what are the odds of that ? As we were not far from Kalamazoo it would have arrived that day most likely.

I ordered it just before my 18 birthday..and now at 65 remember exactly the truck delivering the guitars. It was not a cold day in Chicago..sort of unseasonable warm. So today I am playing it again..sort of our anniversary.. Trying to think what I might have played on it then..

Weird memory stuff..

P1010596.jpg

Amazing coincidence..47 years from the day it shipped to my inquiring..

Yes..it left the factory 47 years to the date I inquired about the shipping date. Weird.. I waited all these years and days to inquire about it..on the same date it left the factory..what are the odds of that ? As we were not far from Kalamazoo it would have arrived that day most likely.

Amazing coincidence..47 years from the day it shipped to my inquiring..

My guess would be 1 in 365. :-k :)

That is a pretty cool story. Great looking guitar too. You were smart to hang onto it all these years. [thumbup]

Archived