Gibson Brands Forums

Best vocal effects

4 FINGER PETE

Hi guys. I apologize for the lengthy post. I've asked about acoustic amps and I appreciate your input very much. Here's my dilemma. I have a small studio at home composed of powered speakers, USB interface / sound card, one cardioid mic, an SM-58, a laptop and software. I would like to be able to sing through vocal effects at the same time as I record. I'm of course not a pro, but I'd like my voice to sound as good as possible. What should I purchase? I was looking at a "Digitech Vocalist live 2 or 3" second hand. But can I use a stomp box like this through my sound card (which is an M Audio Fast Track Pro) and hear my voice with effects through my speakers and headset while I'm recording ? Someone suggested to purchase a console that has built-in effects and use only those but since I already have a virtual console in my software I figured this might be redundant. I also like the portability of a stomp box that could be connected to an acoustic amp also. Bottom line is, what is the best equipment I could use to make my voice sound "big" and as pro as possible, in the studio or performing ? Thank's again ![rolleyes]

Hi guys. I apologize for the lengthy post. I've asked about acoustic amps and I appreciate your input very much. Here's my dilemma. I have a small studio at home composed of powered speakers, USB interface / sound card, one cardioid mic, an SM-58, a laptop and software. I would like to be able to sing through vocal effects at the same time as I record. I'm of course not a pro, but I'd like my voice to sound as good as possible. What should I purchase? I was looking at a "Digitech Vocalist live 2 or 3" second hand. But can I use a stomp box like this through my sound card (which is an M Audio Fast Track Pro) and hear my voice with effects through my speakers and headset while I'm recording ? Someone suggested to purchase a console that has built-in effects and use only those but since I already have a virtual console in my software I figured this might be redundant. I also like the portability of a stomp box that could be connected to an acoustic amp also. Bottom line is, what is the best equipment I could use to make my voice sound "big" and as pro as possible, in the studio or performing ? Thank's again ![rolleyes]

Whichever program that you record with should have ample effects. I would youse the reverb and delay within the program.

J

Whichever program that you record with should have ample effects. I would youse the reverb and delay within the program.

J

Ditto. Usually Fast Track ships with some version of Pro Tools which will have just about every effect you can ever want. The problem is how to use it. That's where these devices come in because they limit the effects to those necessary to working with vocals and put them in a package that is much easier to use than scrolling through computer screens.

Here's the Owner's Manual for the Vocalist Live 3: Owner's Manual. It might help.

Why don't you give a tech at Sweetwater a call? I've found them very knowledgeable and I'm sure they can help you figure it out.

Bottom line is, what is the best equipment I could use to make my voice sound "big" and as pro as possible, in the studio or performing ?

Best? How many thousands/millions do you want to spend? Try asking that here: Gearslutz

FMA

I think Pete is asking ( correct me if I'm wrong Pete) for something that will change his voice live. So the reverb, or whatever he likes to add to his voice , can be heard while he sings. Some sort of in line pedal or such.

If youre not a fan of your own voice , and I can relate to that , it helps with the performance that its enhanced at the moment of the performance.

You do end up trusting the mixing software to make you sound like Beyonce after a while though , therefore gaining confidence while performing in studio.

Or drugs will also work

Thank's Jeremy. My program has indeed many effects, but these effects can only be applied after the recording has been made. I need to hear the effects as I'm recording so my voice isn't flat when I sing into the software. I get into it a lot more that way and I offer a much better performance, thus better recording. It has more feeling. My voice is good, but I like to have fun when I sing. So, my question reiterated, does anyone have external effects plugged in to a sound card going into a DAW ? Thank's again.

J

That's basically it BBG. I hate singing flat in any instance. The finished product is important, but I sing and play to have fun. So I'd like to use a stomp box or effects module that I can connect into my sound card while I'm recording. I was told that you can connect a console with built-in effects to a USB interface and sing and hear the effects while these effects are not recorded on the DAW. I would prefer something like a dedicated effects processor like a Digitech Vocalist Live 2,3, 4 etc. Thank's

quote name='blindboygrunt' timestamp='1390894594' post='1478908']

I think Pete is asking ( correct me if I'm wrong Pete) for something that will change his voice live. So the reverb, or whatever he likes to add to his voice , can be heard while he sings. Some sort of in line pedal or such.

If youre not a fan of your own voice , and I can relate to that , it helps with the performance that its enhanced at the moment of the performance.

You do end up trusting the mixing software to make you sound like Beyonce after a while though , therefore gaining confidence while performing in studio.

Or drugs will also work

Thank's JM. You're right, I should have mentioned the small budget. Basically, I need to know if I can play through a stomp box like a Digitech Vocalist Live plugged into my sound card and record that way. ??

Ditto. Usually Fast Track ships with some version of Pro Tools which will have just about every effect you can ever want. The problem is how to use it. That's where these devices come in because they limit the effects to those necessary to working with vocals and put them in a package that is much easier to use than scrolling through computer screens.

Here's the Owner's Manual for the Vocalist Live 3: Owner's Manual. It might help.

Why don't you give a tech at Sweetwater a call? I've found them very knowledgeable and I'm sure they can help you figure it out.

Best? How many thousands/millions do you want to spend? Try asking that here: Gearslutz

FMA

A few milliseconds of delay will fatten up a vocal track and a little bit of the proper reverb will make it sound bigger. Never heard of dumping in the effects during the recording......that's always done at the mixing stage of the process. Singing "dry" is the standard proceedure. I suppose you could find a way to do it otherwise..... Run the mic through a mixing board that has effects looped in then take a line level output signal to the recording software....maybe......

Pete, like I said , I can empathise. But after a few run through and messing with the mixing after the fact , the confidence will grow . I can assure you I felt exactly the same way getting into recording myself.there's also the plus where unmixed voice will let you hear just where you mess up.

I look forward to hearing your efforts

You can put effects on your voice and hear them live while you're recording either by putting the effect in the chain pre audio interface or by adding the effect on the input channel in your recording software. I do both.

I have a Digitech Vocalist Live 2. I plug my large diaphragm condenser recording mic into the Vocalist and then from that into my audio input for my computer (M-Audio Delta - and it actually goes through my little Behringer mixer first). I like the Digitech because I can use it even when I'm just playing without recording. I can mix my guitar and vocals together, separate the channels left and right, add reverb and compression and hit the harmony button while I'm singing Eagles! :)

To hear the effects on your voice with the software, you have to turn on the "input echo". You can see this on the screenshot of my Sonar X2 software for the project I just completed (hovered my mouse over the input echo to show the flag). The vocal track has three effects on it, compression, reverb and a vocal processor. While I'm singing, I hear the effects applied to my voice in my headphones while I'm recording. Most multitrack recording software will have input monitoring like this.

sonarscreen.jpg

Archived