Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul R8/R9: why replacing mics by Bareknuckle?

Mister P

Dear all!

2014 is time for me to buy a Gibson. I have 12 months to achieve my goal and I've alreayd tested a couple of those. Mainly custom, some Norlin, Standards, and some R8. I'm also looking for second-hand guitars as the price is sometime very attractive (25% off). Testing the guitar and having the opinion of a good luthier are key points for me.

My question: I found a couple of second-hand R8 or R9 with bareknuckle mics (Peter Green blues, Stormy monday neck pickup / Black Dogbridge pickup, etc.). I don't know those mics and I didn't tested those so far.

Does anyone have feedback on those? Are those better than official R8 or R9 mics?

Thanks in advance!

Mister P.

Hello Mr. P.

The Bare Knuckle pickups are hand-wound, UK-made products - praised by many.

Replicas of original PAFs are plenty - everyone has it`s own preference.

This is a highly subjective matter, no need to be suspicious about it. Only You can tell whether they are better than the stock Burstbuckers, or not.

Cheers... Bence

I can't say whether Bare Knuckle pups are better than the fitted R8/R9 pups but I do know that they are superb pups. I have Bare Knuckle Mules on my Yamaha SG2000 and they are far superior to the original pups and better than the Gibson Classics that are on my Epi Les Paul Trad. In fact, of all my guitars and their pups I like the Mules the best.

Hello again!

BK pickups are more expensive than Gibson's pickups. In case You want to restore the guitar to it's stock condition, You can sell them and buy Gibson Burstbuckers. It's an easy to do operation, everyone can do it (who has a soldering device).

Cheers... Bence

Dear all!

2014 is time for me to buy a Gibson. I have 12 months to achieve my goal and I've alreayd tested a couple of those. Mainly custom, some Norlin, Standards, and some R8. I'm also looking for second-hand guitars as the price is sometime very attractive (25% off). Testing the guitar and having the opinion of a good luthier are key points for me.

My question: I found a couple of second-hand R8 or R9 with bareknuckle mics (Peter Green blues, Stormy monday neck pickup / Black Dogbridge pickup, etc.). I don't know those mics and I didn't tested those so far.

Does anyone have feedback on those? Are those better than official R8 or R9 mics?

Thanks in advance!

Mister P.

Mister P.-

I've been through just about every humbucker Gibson makes, and recently put a set of the PG Blues in my Traditional, and so far so good. Aside from the out of phase component, these are some amazing sounding pickups. I'm still getting used to them but they are just about exactly what I was looking for. I had a BB3 in the bridge and 57 Classic in the neck... 57 Classic is my favorite Gibson pickup in the neck position, but can't stand it in the bridge. My $0.02...

BS

Archived