Gibson Brands Forums

2013 59 reissue

bbbeardsley

Over the past 40 years many gibson les pauls have come and gone. All were great guitars and the historic reissues were fine examples of the guitar they trying to portray. But my new 2013 lemon burst 59 reissue is by far the best les paul I've ever owned and or played. At 8.4lbs she's absolutely perfect not to lite or to heavy. This is the first les paul I didn't feel the need to swap out the pickups. As for playability she's second to none. The first guitar I didn't have run to my local luthier for a set-up. Maybe it's the pleking this is the only pleked guitar I've ever played. Now for sustain all I can say here is simply amazing it just goes on forever. She's the first guitar I've ever purchased that I took out of the case tuned up and after playing set it down and said to my self this one is absolutely perfect. There's nothing to do but play her. I haven't played any ofter 2013 59 reissues so I can't say this the norm or did I just get extremely lucky. All my guitars are wonderful the fender custom shop relics as well as the gibson custom shops. While they are all tens the question is just where they line up in the tenth position. I'll say it again while they are all tens the 2013 59 is truly magical and I can say with all honesty this is the first time I've felt this way about any of the many great guitars I've owned. I'm having a problem with the 3 way toggle if I go from neck to bridge the bridge pickup cuts in and out. After going back to the middle position then to the bridge it's fine. I'm going to check today and see if I can just bend the contacts to fix it. I would hate to have to replace it. If any one has some ideas on this please advise thanks Steven.

In more than thirty years I never found the need for bending toggle switch contacts on over two dozens of Gibsons.

Using contact cleaner and switching several times always did the trick. On brand-new guitars, there might be tiny powdery remains of finish or glue, or tarnish caused by evaporations during the final drying of finish. Regardless if it was about Gibson Custom Shop, Gibson USA or Epiphone guitars, one or a few treatments using contact spray always did the trick without bending anything. Same is valid for pots and jacks.

Selecting the middle position of the toggle switch when not playing is highly recommendable for avoiding unwanted contact fatigue during storage. I do this exclusively since I started playing guitar.

I use CRC Chemicals Kontakt 60 for all household or automotive applications when it is about fixing transition resistances. Besides avoiding of fingerprints on cable plugs, it is my favorite helper for ensuring trouble-free operation.

Can I make one little suggestion? Just play the guitar and forget all of this other stuff. I for many years became a real anal-neurotic like I read on quite a few posts on this as well as other sites. You guys are going to drive yourself nuts. I guarantee it. A number of years ago I was able to spend a bit of time with Larry Carlton in Los Angeles. I asked him 'hey Larry how about this, how about that, what about this pickup, what about this switch, and on and on and on and on I went...'..........Larry looks at me, picks up his 335 and points to HIS hands and says to me 'jim, just make sure the action on your guitar is comfortable and FORGET all of this other nonsense and PLAY THE damn guitar' and move forward.....Larry WAS right! jim in Maine

In more than thirty years I never found the need for bending toggle switch contacts on over two dozens of Gibsons.

Using contact cleaner and switching several times always did the trick. On brand-new guitars, there might be tiny powdery remains of finish or glue, or tarnish caused by evaporations during the final drying of finish. Regardless if it was about Gibson Custom Shop, Gibson USA or Epiphone guitars, one or a few treatments using contact spray always did the trick without bending anything. Same is valid for pots and jacks.

Selecting the middle position of the toggle switch when not playing is highly recommendable for avoiding unwanted contact fatigue during storage. I do this exclusively since I started playing guitar.

I use CRC Chemicals Kontakt 60 for all household or automotive applications when it is about fixing transition resistances. Besides avoiding of fingerprints on cable plugs, it is my favorite helper for ensuring trouble-free operation.

Thanks leaving the toggle in the middle position when not playing is a good idea I never thought of that. I messed with the contacts yesterday and all is well for now but I'll keep CRC contact handy thanks steven

Can I make one little suggestion? Just play the guitar and forget all of this other stuff. I for many years became a real anal-neurotic like I read on quite a few posts on this as well as other sites. You guys are going to drive yourself nuts. I guarantee it. A number of years ago I was able to spend a bit of time with Larry Carlton in Los Angeles. I asked him 'hey Larry how about this, how about that, what about this pickup, what about this switch, and on and on and on and on I went...'..........Larry looks at me, picks up his 335 and points to HIS hands and says to me 'jim, just make sure the action on your guitar is comfortable and FORGET all of this other nonsense and PLAY THE damn guitar' and move forward.....Larry WAS right! jim in Maine

I couldn't agree more with the just play the guitar but I was only giving a review on the new 2013 les paul 59 reissue and was asking about a fix for a bad toggle switch. It's kind of hard to just play your guitar when you switch from the neck pickup to the bridge and the guitar cuts out. That's all geesh

No problem! Not trying to be a pain in the --- however when I went to that seminar that Carlton gave where two strings his B and D strings went kaboom as well as a toggle switch that had just developed a short with Larry showing all 100 of us on how to keep playing without missing a beat..........that episode just remains in my head whenever I get the urge to really start messing with my guitar thats all...........jim in Maine

Archived