Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! 2007 BFG

JAddison

Picked her up for £530 and she still smells new. Frets are all perfect (no sign of any wear)love the chucky 50's neck. She came with a beaten up old Gibson case, shopworn I think they call it.

More like thrown down a mountain worn! Love the vibe.. and I love the fact that Gibson has the balls and imagination to create such a creature such as this.

One thing I don't love so much is the Burstbucker 3 in the bridge.

I find it a little shrill lacking in warmth and depth (even though it has a nice airy quality to it)

The P90 is awesome for cleans and filth alike. Very organic and thick. Great for Hendrix style riffs.

Sustain is OK, not amazing.. but then I am comparing it to my Slash sig Epi which just sustains for a rediculous amount of time. I don't know if its down to the extended neck tennon or not but I have never played a guitar that sustains like it. I actually swapped out the epi pup for a '59 which is my favorite pup to date.

Anyone got any suggestions for a new bridge pup? Heavy rock is as heavy as I go and I like the airy'ness you get from alnico II's.

Maybe an aph-2 alnico ii pro?

Some pics: http://imgur.com/a/bsbg4

Congrats on the new guit.

As far as a bridge p'up goes; from Gibson you might want to try a '57 Classic or '57 Classic +. Many folks here think they get about the nearest to a vintage PAF tone as you are likely to find.

Other manufacturers offer hundreds of different PAF-clones and they range from pretty cheap to pretty ridiculous!

Various models from Fralin, Lollar, BareKnuckle and Seymour Duncan - especially his Antiquities - all come highly recommended.

P.

Sweet buy [thumbup]

I used to have one of the Gary Moore BFGs...

I loved everything about that guitar apart from the neck.. I just don't do chunky necks anymore... And I know what you mean about the BB3, but I liked it, it made the guitar sound as raw as it looks... And the one thing I REALLY liked about it which was different to almost all of my other guitars is that the middle position with both pickups on sounded monstrous but in a good way :) (almost like you can hear the pickups fighting each other)

Needless to say.. if they ever make a BFG with a 60s neck I will HAVE to get one :rolleyes:

Oh yes.. and as a suggestion about your bridge pup.. maybe as a simple fix try lowering it a bit? Might be worth a go.

DSC01173_zps2fb9af17.jpg

DSC01169_zps5a0c910a.jpg

Sweet buy [thumbup]

I used to have one of the Gary Moore BFGs...

I loved everything about that guitar apart from the neck.. I just don't do chunky necks anymore... And I know what you mean about the BB3, but I liked it, it made the guitar sound as raw as it looks... And the one thing I REALLY liked about it which was different to almost all of my other guitars is that the middle position with both pickups on sounded monstrous but in a good way :) (almost like you can hear the pickups fighting each other)

Needless to say.. if they ever make a BFG with a 60s neck I will HAVE to get one :rolleyes:

Oh yes.. and as a suggestion about your bridge pup.. maybe as a simple fix try lowering it a bit? Might be worth a go.

DSC01173_zps2fb9af17.jpg

DSC01169_zps5a0c910a.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I will see if I can find some sound clips of the 57.

I did actually try lowering the pickup by 1.5 turns last night and it has taken away a little of the high end but now it sounds alot less hot. I still feel that it's lacking in warmth and punch.

Sings when bending high up the neck though.

I know what you mean about the 2 pups together on the middle switch. The p90 is so filthy and thick and the BB3 is treble focused and clear as a bell so they work. Both balance each other out with out blending.. so both sets of tones are prominant. Lots of complexity to listen to when playing in the middle position! Makes playing rhythm alot of fun.

I guess I will miss that once I change the BB3 out..

Congrats on your great buy, JAddison. [thumbup]

The bright tone and long lasting tone may have to do with the fat neck providing lots of overtones. In my opinion, all the BBs and both the '57s are great pickups, but as any other any other pickup they get what player, strings and guitar provide. Therefore I don't have a special tip for you besides experimenting with pickup heights and amp/FX settings first.

Congrats on your great buy, JAddison. [thumbup]

The bright tone and long lasting tone may have to do with the fat neck providing lots of overtones. In my opinion, all the BBs and both the '57s are great pickups, but as any other any other pickup they get what player, strings and guitar provide. Therefore I don't have a special tip for you besides experimenting with pickup heights and amp/FX settings first.

Thanks!

Thanks for the pickup height tip. I noticed that the treble side was quite high, after lowering it the bb3 sounds ALOT more balanced and the ice pick highs are gone [thumbup] I may not bother changing it out now.

I played with the bridge height too. For some reason the 6th string side was really high and the 1st string side was low wtf?!

It's now alot more even and much easier to play.

Just got the intonation to do tonight..

Archived