Gibson Brands Forums

SG Classic tone issue

Uncle Albert

Bought one of these last January and am lovin' it. Had one in high school (almost 40 yrs ago) and now remember what a truly simple but fine player it is. Anyway, recently replaced the pickups with Fralin P-90's (and the pots as well), but the tone is still a bit too "muddy" for my taste. :D Any suggestions from techs/modders out there on how to help it's "definition" ??

Thanks in advance.

UA

Have you tried messing with your amp settings? What amp are you playing through? I've got an SG Classic and love the sound ...not muddy at all. I've also had guitars with Frailin P-90s and muddy was the last word that I would call the sound.

Here's a clip of mine through my Egnater combo.

I get everything from sparkly cleans to overdriven raunch.....

I know I've posted this before on the other SG Classic thread..just trying to help!

do you know how different size pots work????

i put 10k's instead of 500k's in my sg, which might be what your looking for, it really makes for a great clean sound (which i use alot) and save your originals!!!!

though at times i do feel like switching back,

AND

what kind of amp do you use?? id look at it first, i was having trouble with HORRID tone that i thought i couldnt get rid of, until i looked at the amp [-X

Just bought one of these cllassics' date=' and also fi nd the tone a bit limp.

Anyone know if I can put a set of Angus Youngs in there without too much woodwork required?

[/quote']

The P90's are not supposed to sound as hot as Humbuckers. If you don't like the sound, sell the guitar and buy a Standard.

Archived