Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Doves in Flight Info Wanted

Scott Harrison

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and recently picked up a 2011 Gibson Doves in Flight and have called Gibson's customer service, but got limited information other than the date the serial number was stamped. Does anybody have any information for me on this guitar other than what is available from the spec page on Gibson's website?

Such as:

How many Doves in flight were produced in 2011? How many are produced in any given year? I see their website says "for a limited time only."

It was a product of the Gibson Custom Shop. Does that mean it was actually worked on by Ren Fergusen or did he oversee work on the guitar? I have no idea what goes on in the Custom Shop. the website mentioned Ren a couple of days ago when I went to the page for Doves in Flight, but now it does not.

The website shows that the price of the Doves in Flight is $4,999, but I often see it advertised at various music stores for much more. Why is that? I assume that would be their price for a new Doves in Flight. Is this one "hard to get?"

How long has Gibson manufactured a Doves in Flight version of the Dove?

Please forgive the questions. I know I'm new here, but I do intend to be here much more often in the future.

Thanks,

Scott Harrison

Scott, you should post some photos of your DIF.

The DIF 'evolved' over time, the earliest one I've seen is a 1996, and it was not as 'blinged-up' and yours would be.

When I got mine, I was looking to buy a J200 because I LOVE the natural Maple back 'n sides on them, but I have been a "Dove-Guy" for

30 years. When I found a DIF with natural Maple back 'n sides, I jumped on it! (well, I didn't actually 'jump on it'...THAT would be foolish!).

Mine is a 2003.

I don't know how many they make in a year, but while not in every store, they aren't all that uncommon.

I've come to appreciate the sound of my DIF over all other flattops, (including my 'Bird).

My understanding is that Ren did some of the inlay work on each DIF until he 'retired', but I wouldn't be surprised if

that wasn't exactly true, but how is anyone ever going to confirm whether he worked on a specific guitar?

I've used a scope to explore the entire insides of my DIF and found no signature or anything out of the ordinary.

You can find Ren's initials under the Dove In Flight on the pickguard, (there's a "RF" in the grass, as the design of the

pickguard is Ren's).

The prices of the DIF, and all guitars, are all over the map. I suspect they cost what someone is willing to sell them for,

as long as there is someone willing to pay that much. I think I paid $4400 for mine, and while it was/is in 'like new' condition,

it was used. in 2011 I bought my 'Bird, and I think I paid $4500 for it, (and it WAS new!).

Sorry, I couldn't answer your questions very satisfactorily, but I'll take any opportunity to talk about my guitars!

I have a Hummingbird Pro that I purchased from Guitar Center a few years back and I have a '67 Southern Jumbo that used to belong to my father-in-law, but neither sound as good as this Dove. I'm pretty well amazed. I didn't know I was going to buy it when it presented itself, but when I saw it there was no question. I got it for $1,870 plus MS sales tax. Less than what I paid for the Hummingbird Pro. I'm just blown away. Being in the right place at the right time rarely happens to me.

There's an auction that my wife and I go to on Friday nights in Horn Lake, MS. They had a Peavey electric guitar that I joked with my wife about bidding on, but didn't. It sold for $100. Then after that the auctioneer said, "I've got another guitar in the back that is quite a bit more expensive than that one, it's a Gibson, but if anybody's interested I'll get Steve to bring it out." I raised my hand and he said OK and said I could go in the back and take a look at it if I want to. I knew it was going to be nice, but when I opened the case it was a Doves in Flight! I knew of the guitar, but didn't have any idea of it's worth or history. I quickly got on my iphone and looked it up. Steve said he would get it out in a little bit.

I told my wife when I got back out to the main floor that if the price was low I would bid accordingly, that we could possibly double our money if we sold it later. When Steve brought it out, Jimmy opened the bid at $1,700. I took the first bid and nobody in the room bid against me. I got it for that price plus a 10% buyers premium!

After i got it home, I was blown away at how much easier it was to play that the other two guitars I have. I may sell the Hummingbird Pro now. I think the Dove is going to be my "old man" guitar.

Scott,

You stole that guitar at that price. Obviously the auctioneer had no clue as to what he had, or, for that matter, neither did the owner of the guitar. Sure wish I could stumble on something like that. I've lusted over a DIF for quite a while. One of my local 5 star dealers had two in stock at the same time. Since I have done a lot of business with him, he would have cut me a great deal. Had to go out of town for 10 days and when I got back I decided to drop the hammer and get one. Stopped by the store and he had sold both of them in that week or so of time. Couldn't believe it.

So, if you find another at an auction at that price, let me know and I'll double your money for your trouble.... :rolleyes:

Scott,

You stole that guitar at that price. Obviously the auctioneer had no clue as to what he had, or, for that matter, neither did the owner of the guitar. Sure wish I could stumble on something like that. I've lusted over a DIF for quite a while. One of my local 5 star dealers had two in stock at the same time. Since I have done a lot of business with him, he would have cut me a great deal. Had to go out of town for 10 days and when I got back I decided to drop the hammer and get one. Stopped by the store and he had sold both of them in that week or so of time. Couldn't believe it.

So, if you find another at an auction at that price, let me know and I'll double your money for your trouble.... :rolleyes:

I'm with you, Joe... Scott STOLE that guitar!

I'm not big on the Hummingbird Pro, (that's just me, I'm sure it's a fine guitar), but if I had a DIF, I'd never pick up the HB-P.

My Dove is special because my bride bought it for me in 1980 when we didn't have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of....but NOTHING matches

the DIF for tone! The 'Bird is coming around... but still too 'green' for me.

I've had to avoid buying anything more for the last few years because the wife put her foot down about having music stuff in every corner in every room in our house..... so about a year ago, I put almost everything

in my son's old room, so the number of guitars, etc. hasn't been an issue lately.... and she just told me I could HAVE that room as a music room.... so there may be an opportunity for me to get another 'Bird

maybe an early 90's. So maybe I'll get Scott to take me to his auction place!

Scott,

He's going to have another high-dollar Gibson, but it's an electric. Some kind of Wes Montgomery hollow body. I'm thinking of getting that one too, but I definitely won't keep it.

So, does anybody else have info on maybe how many of these are manufactured in a years time? You know, general info?

They don't make very many. 1995 they made 56-2002 they made 7. 1995 was the first year they were offered and Ren did do most of the engraving The biggest production year they made 144 that was 2006. Ren did very little work on any of them. He was responsible for the design. I find this very peculiar as the birds have no resemblance to a dove. Ren has been a pigeoneer for many years and knows exactly what a dove looks like. I have asked him about this and he just shrugs his shoulders.

Very early on the tuners were hand engraved by Ren but that changed as soon as they could get a vender to machine engrave them.

Most folks want to believe that Ren worked on their guitar. If you would stop to think about it you would soon understand that there aren't enough hours in a day for him to do that much work. Especially when he spent most of his time traveling to events and buying and hand selecting wood from vendors. He spent at least a month out of each year in India working with the wood venders and at least two months a year in Europe working with the old distribution network. He spent many weeks a year traveling to Japan working with dealers and the Yamano buying group.

Archived