Gibson Brands Forums

"Fat neck, fat neck, wherefore art thou fat neck?"

bshilkitus

Hi again,

I have been looking for a semi hollow body guitar on which I can play jazz. I have an ES175 but the low frequency feedback issues bug me, and I am not in love with the neck. What I REALLY want is a semi hollow body that has a neck just like my LP Traditional, which is the size of a 2 X 4! Gibson's specs call it the rounded 50's neck.

So I decided I would go with a 335. After researching them, I found that the 59 VOS, 59 Dot reissue, and the Rusty Anderson all have 50's style necks. So, I ordered the Rusty and it came yesterday. The neck is quite different than my LP Traditional 2x4. Much thinner.

I now have learned that Gibson made a 335 "Fat neck," but stopped making them. Does anyone have one of these fat necks? And if so, is it really fat? Can anyone compare it to the LP Traditional's neck?

Since they don't make them anymore, I will have to find a used one so therefore might not be able to return it.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Bill

Thank you so much for your time. You have really helped me.

I borrowed my friends caliper and measure as you did. Guess what? 0.93 at the first fret. 1.015 at 12th. Sounds like its the same neck. I think I will order that one from Amazon, because I can at least return it if I have to.

But it has been sitting in their warehouse since 2011 at least.

Hmmm.

Bill

I traded for mine on The Gear Page but I've seen them in the $2300 range

$3400 is big nut to crack but at least it's returnable.

There is this one on Ebay that offers a 72 hr return but it's 3K. They have had it for a while

so maybe they'd dicker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-ES-335-Dot-Fat-Neck-Reissue-Electric-Guitar-2007-/271351424397?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f2dce258d

I have a Nashville Historic 59 reissue 335 and had a Memphis version for a while. Both of these have fatter necks than the necks on my LP Traditionals. I also have 335 Dot reissue with the slim taper neck. I prefer the fatter necks. For a while they were also making the ES-339 in a 59 neck version. Not sure if you could make that work for you, but I think you would like that neck. Better price point too.

A Gibson Custom Shop dealer can order you one with a large neck profile. It may cost you a bit of a premium, but would save you the time spent in the search. A good dealer will be able to give you neck measurements on the ones they have in stock and some may offer a return policy if you can't try it in person. Sounds like you are after a "baseball bat" profile. The names that Gibson USA uses for profiles are not always close to the ones that Gibson Custom uses. If you are thinking of a Les Paul, the Lee Roy Parnell 57 normally has a big neck. I have a custom ordered 339 with a huge neck. Well worth the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Fat Neck natural 335 on EBAY. The guy won't come any lower than $2900. Its a 2007. Even if purchased "off of Ebay", he won't come down any lower despite me explanation to him that he would save $300 that way.

Anyway, there is another one on Ebay.

What do you think of this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181321354983?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is the natural worth the extra $400?

I guess it's all in how badly do you want one? The natural is a handsome guitar but that's a lot of money for something you've never played.

Our economy isn't the greatest so I'd check the local and on-line music stores for trade ins and see if one doesn't pop up that way.

Regarding the Fat Neck natural 335 on EBAY. The guy won't come any lower than $2900. Its a 2007. Even if purchased "off of Ebay", he won't come down any lower despite me explanation to him that he would save $300 that way.

Anyway, there is another one on Ebay.

What do you think of this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181321354983?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is the natural worth the extra $400?

Not to me. I'd take the sunburst. That is about what I'd ask if I was selling mine.

We'll here's hoping you get one. There are a lot of 335 models that are fine guitars but if you like

truly *fat necks* this is the one. As I understand it this is a bigger neck than the '59 Historics.

My friend has a very early ES-175 from the 50's. The neck on mine is very similar.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Yup that's mine for sale.

I'm still very high on this model and in particular, this guitar, but as often happens my

playing situation has changed and sale of this 335 is required to get what I

need which is Fenderish for my rock/pop gigs or a jazz box or nylon string for my jazz gigs.

I will say that I'm not particularly motivated and I will be perfectly happy keeping it.

Archived