Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a fake Les Paul

Noel_G

Noel,

Wish I could be more help but....

Really can't tell a lot from the photos. I have seen that color (or very similar) on some of the LP Plus Tops.

Too bad the truss rod cover is missing.

The headstock looks a bit elongated but it could just be the pic.

The knobs seem a bit off but, once again, the pics are all taken from a slight top angle.

What might help, besides straighter on higher quality pics, would be a clear shot of the serial number

on the back of the headstock. Even if they are/are not legit they can clue you in as to date which can account

for certain production idiosyncrasies.(especially if the production year was before 2008.)

At this point I can not say for sure if it is or is not an Epi-Phoney.

Hope others are more help.

Willy

Why fake an epiphone when you could fake a Gibson and get several times as much for it?

Because someone can make money at it.

There are $500 fake watches, purses and everything else out there.

Why would someone sell a $500 fake when they could sell a $5,000 fake?

Because nsomeone can make money at it.

430 pages of basic educational reading. (At least read a few):

The thread started in 2009. The most recent post was yesterday by one of our members.

It has been viewed by over 1/2 million people. Over 1,300 members have found it helpful.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/31153-fake-epiphone-thread-ii.html

Willy

Edit:

It's a 2004 model so it's 10 years old.

How is it you know this?

W.W.

Noel G, the position of the volume knob right next to the tailpiece is an indication of a fake in some cases, but is normal on Korean ones from that era. (Thanks to an old German friend for that nugget of information.) The knobs appear to line up OK and the logo is probably OK, though the 'h' is a little central- can anyone comment on this? As requested a pic of the rear of the headstock would help, and a pic of the rear control cover also.

Noel G, the position of the volume knob right next to the tailpiece is an indication of a fake in some cases, but is normal on Korean ones from that era. (Thanks to an old German friend for that nugget of information.) The knobs appear to line up OK and the logo is probably OK, though the 'h' is a little central- can anyone comment on this? As requested a pic of the rear of the headstock would help, and a pic of the rear control cover also.

I have such a Korean made Les Paul, and this one seems consistent with the one I have.

Pete

the pinkness in the inlays in the 1st pic, seems a trick of the lighting, as the neck p'up also has the same pinkish hue if you look closely.

looks good to me........

Thanks bud, I'ts looking indeed like this is an early Korean version and I've searched for LP's of a similar age and they all look the same, they all have the tulip style Kluson machine heads too. Going to see it and give it a strum tonight then I'll make a decision about buying it. :)

I got a picture of the rear of the headstock, looks like Epiphone branded tuners unless someone else knows differently!!

The serial number is I 00052701

Thanks guys.

post-40386-077695100 1391086832_thumb.jpg

Archived