Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer production cuts?

Beanz

Does not surprise me one bit, I bought mine last year and had to return it. According to the serial number it had been sitting on its case for 1 year, as a result the guitar smelled horrible.

When I returned it they were out of stock, it took 6 months to get another one. Gibson did not make any Explorers in Natural in 6 months. I only waited because I got it on sale for $935.

My dad's friend is sponsored by Gibson so he got her to get me a new explorer from their pro shop at a heavily discounted price. When she got it for us the people said explorers are getting production cuts and the one I have is 1 of 90 or so being made in 2009.

When I bought my Explorer used back in August here in London at Bellones the guy actually told me that model is discontinued now. I didn't really believe him since i figured Gibson has been making them for decades and theres still enough of a demand, but maybe he was just a little off. Come to think of it, I havent seen a new one in a long time here or in Stratford.

There is a difference between discontinuing a model and reducing production or limiting it.

They may discontinue a partucular color but not the Explorer model altogether.

I think there is not enough demand for them, I know that does not sound right but we are in an Gibson forum and we are all enthisiasts here.

Who knos exactly how marketing, supply and demand really works.

• 2 months later...

I went browsing at the local music store yesterday (I was killing time before going to pick up the '05 Explorer I bought used :-) and it struck me as odd that there weren't any Explorers in stock at a Gibson dealer. I didn't ask if there were any, but there was every kind of LP, Flying V and 335 you could think of hanging on the wall, but not a single Explorer in sight...

Even if Gibson does a production cut on the Explorer, it's not like you will not be able to find one. New and used Explorers will float around for a while. It may even drive the price of them up a few hundred dollars.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I just got my white Explorer a week ago. The case looks like heaven but smells like the devil!!;)

Welcome aboard, Bo. Nice looking Explorer... Smell, well that happens from time to time with all the chemical reactions happing inside those cases... Best advice is to leave it open on a nice airy day... (just take the guitar out).

The first Explorer I bought had a terrible smell, according to its serial number it had been sitting in the case for a year, the smell of nitro curing in such enclosed space was awful. I sent the guitar back, there were other reasons too.

Archived