Gibson Brands Forums

Why Not a Spruce Paul?

AP in DC

An email advertisement I received from Guitar Center contained what I believe is a major typo: in recapping guitars seen at NAMM 2014, they describe the 2014 Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar as having “Gorgeous appointments with the complex timbre of solid spruce and rosewood.”

Last I looked – with the exception of a 1998 made-for-NAMM promo model – the Les Paul never really had any spruce worked into it; and except for the knobs and trimmings on a high-ticket 'Paul many years back, rosewood is limited for the most part to the fingerboard.

But the more I think about it, that's a pretty cool idea.

While I've always been an LP fan, I've also had a soft spot for old small-bodied Hofners and Guild Bluesbirds with very grainy quarter-sawn spruce tops, finished almost like old violins with the vertical grainlines just jumping off the face of the instrument.

These days, Douglas fir and Western Red Cedar are among the domestic woods with the most “violinny” look to them. I would really enjoy seeing a future LP limited edition model (no F-holes, all solid) roll out with a real woodsy, grainy, semi-Hofneresque complexion – even if just a veneer PRG'd right down to the arched cap – but totally owned on a genuine Gibson face.

Hello AP, and welcome to this nice place. [thumbup]

Indeed, I believe it could result in either nice looks and tone when combining the iconic Les Paul design with a spruce top.

Thinking it over, I ended up with the suggestion of using ash for the massive body, spruce for the massive top, maple for the neck and perhaps even for the fretboard. I would love seeing this model coming in transparent finishes, featuring two humbuckers, separate parallel and common single coil option, polarity aka "phase" switch for the neck pickup, and piezo TOM bridge including stereo/blend jack and active circuitry as an option. The battery case should be part of the electric compartment cover - no additional routings, just as Gibson already makes them.

Oak body with Walnut top?

Spruce might be nice as well, though!

Gibson have, on rare occasions, offered different woods on LP Standards. Some have been made with solid mahogany and last year they offered a Koa cap in place of maple....

LPSAKDBCH1-Finish-Shot_zps0186f88f.jpg

P.

Hello mate!....back with broadband!....no more asda Wi-Fi!..........

Gibson Custom Shop "Wes Paul" Custom: chambered hollow mahogany body, mahogany neck,spruce top with F holes, ebony board with M.O.P. inlays, L5 Headstock with MOP Flower Pot inlay, 335 type trapeze tailpiece with T.O.M. bridge, single volume/tone contorols and single 57 classic p/u in the neck.

Seems the tailpiece was the ''callagham'' version.

Last one I saw went for over $6000.....time to raid the piggy bank Bence...[biggrin] ....or...[sad] ....if like me thar' piggy already been to market.....

Well, just had a meeting with the boss, and He said no, He can't give me a bonus in form of a guitar - the accountant doesn't likes that either.

<_<

Cheers... Bence

As posted in #2, I would go with a massive one, and in addition to the specs in that post I would want the maple neck featuring late 50s profile.

I hope they don't make these to soon though, due to my empty wallet... :(

Think if all works well I will have done a one-shot by the Custom Shop. Wonder if they were willing to make a Les Paul with an ash body? In my opinion, it would be less weird than some of the Fender Select instruments. :rolleyes:

As posted in #2, I would go with a massive one, and in addition to the specs in that post I would want the maple neck featuring late 50s profile.

I hope they don't make these to soon though, due to my empty wallet... :(

Think if all works well I will have done a one-shot by the Custom Shop. Wonder if they were willing to make a Les Paul with an ash body? In my opinion, it would be less weird than some of the Fender Select instruments. :rolleyes:

Always the various swamp ash guitars Gibson have produced....

swampashstudio_zps90348133.jpg

voodoo_zpscc9e4166.jpg

This exceptionally beautiful early 1960 re-issue from the Gibson Custom Shop, weighs 9.70 lbs. Solid mahogany body with book-matched highly figured carved ash top. One-piece mahogany neck, with a comfortable nut width of 1 11/16 inches and a super thin 1960 neck profile which measures just 0.73 inches at the first fret and rises gently to 0.85 inches at the 12th fret. Rosewood fretboard with 22 medium jumbo frets and inlaid pearl trapezoid position markers. Headstock with inlaid pearl "Gibson" logo and "Les Paul Model" silkscreened in gold. Two layer black on white, bell-shaped plastic truss rod cover. The back of the headstock with the serial number ("1 5884") stamped in black and with a "Custom Shop Edition" decal. Individual Gibson (Kluson) Deluxe double-line tuners with single-ring tulip-shaped Keystone plastic buttons. Two very strong Gibson humbucker pickups with white plastic surrounds and nicely balanced outputs of 8.50k and 8.42k. The neck pickup is engraved on the bottom "PAT. NO. 2,737,842". Four controls (two volume, two tone) on lower treble bout plus a three-way selector switch on upper bass bout. The potentiometers are stamped "137 91 43" (CTS October 1991). Gold "Speed" knobs with white numbers. Gibson [ABR-1] Tune-O-Matic retainer bridge with metal saddles and separate stud tailpiece. With the exception of the pickup covers, all of the hardware is nickel plated. Inside the control cavity is written in black ink "EL 12-91" and inside the truss rod adjustment cavity are the initials "TJ" in red and "TW" in black. This guitar was made without a pickguard. This extremely rare example, with a highly figured ash top, is in mint (9.50) condition. Housed in its original Gibson brown hardshell case with purple plush lining and silk cover (9.50).

This is the only ash top Les Paul that we have ever seen. It also has the thinnest neck profile of any Les Paul we have ever seen. We contacted Gibson to see what records they had of this guitar… they checked this for us and the entry in the Gibson shipping ledger reads:

"1 5884 Les Paul Special Custom Shop Instrument N/A December 1991".

"The single Standard reissue model had split into two in 1991 -- the Standard 59 Flametop Reissue, and the Standard 58 Figuredtop Reissue" (Tony Bacon, 50 Years of the Gibson Les Paul, p. 103).

Tony bacon.

Archived