Gibson Brands Forums

1937 Advanced Jumbo

J45fan

Based on everything I've read, I wonder if this is really Brazilian rosewood, or if it has been mis-identified? Ton Barnwell might comment on this.

Some of the things about this guitar make me scratch my head. Those tuners should be nickel-plated, and I have never seen nickel of this age that hasn't oxidized to a greenish surface. I suppose someone may have taken the tuners off and cleaned them.

All in all, it looks like a spectacular guitar, the kind you can only dream of owning.

For about $95,000 less, of course, you can own a very nice modern AJ, not that I'm suggesting that would be a substitute for this guitar. The condition of this one is so extraordinary, however, that I would be reluctant to play it on a regular basis, which sort of defeats the purpose of owning a great guitar.

Based on everything I've read, I wonder if this is really Brazilian rosewood, or if it has been mis-identified? Ton Barnwell might comment on this.

Some of the things about this guitar make me scratch my head. Those tuners should be nickel-plated, and I have never seen nickel of this age that hasn't oxidized to a greenish surface. I suppose someone may have taken the tuners off and cleaned them.

All in all, it looks like a spectacular guitar, the kind you can only dream of owning.

For about $95,000 less, of course, you can own a very nice modern AJ, not that I'm suggesting that would be a substitute for this guitar. The condition of this one is so extraordinary, however, that I would be reluctant to play it on a regular basis, which sort of defeats the purpose of owning a great guitar.

IMO (and I am quite sure), it is the same as the rosewood that was used from 1935 on. I am confident because we have three guitars (35 RSRG, 36 AJ, and 43 SJ (RW)) to compare it to.

I am also almost as certain it is Indian RW -- although I am depending on results from others for my data. The RW was tested twice by Willi Henkes -- it was harvested during a neck set. On the first test, they simply asked "is it BRW" -- the answer came back "no." On the second test, they ask "what is it?" -- the answer came back EIRW. I am depending on Willi here, but I have a whole lot of confidence that he knows what he is doing and tells the truth.

Also, some tuners make it through clean -- luck of the climate I guess. Here is the tuners on our 35 RSRG.

RSRGtuners_zpsb5e07df9.jpg

Best,

-Tom

Tom has always the best pictures, I love 'em. Thanks!

I agree with Tom the back really looks very much EIRW which was very common on these old Gibson's.

Regarding the shiny tuners, it is nothing out of the ordinary. I have a mint 1930 National Style O, the guy who owned it before me never really played it. It lived it's former life mostly in it's case.

Again though, I am sorry but that price is just plain nuts.

I guess everything is negotiable ;)

I remember a 1936 AJ, which was in great but not the same condition, went for around $ 70k a few years back. I very happy with my new 1935 AJ Limited Edition.

I guess everything is negotiable ;)

I remember a 1936 AJ, which was in great but not the same condition, went for around $ 70k a few years back. I very happy with my new 1935 AJ Limited Edition.

Gary Burnett had one a few years back that he was trying to sell for $70K. It was new ground then. I don't know how it turned out. Is that the one you are talking about?

Best,

-Tom

Gary Burnett had one a few years back that he was trying to sell for $70K. It was new ground then. I don't know how it turned out. Is that the one you are talking about?

Best,

-Tom

Tom, yes I guess it was Gary Burnett's AJ. I don't know if it sold for $ 70k.

Asking price and getting price are two different things. If I had one to sell I would probably start with a Hail Mary Pass.

A guy on UMGF had one up for sale last summer at $55K. Mandolin Bros. has one for under $40K. Not in near as nice condition as the $100K one though.

Archived