Gibson Brands Forums

Is my J45 custom fake or real?

jbuck

I know this gets asked 24/7. This is my first post so I apologize for anything I do wrong. I just bought a used Gibson J45 Custom from Guitar Center (spent a pretty penny too...). And I guess I am just being paranoid. Im not great at identifying fakes at all. Im 18 so I am very blessed to have a gibson j45 standard and this custom i just received but this also shows my inexperience with knowing all the ins and outs of a Gibson acoustic. I will post pictures in a minute when i figure out how. My background on this custom though: I called Gibson to see if i could get the history of it and they asked for the serial number. I gave it to him and he said it matched up with a zakk wylde custom so that scared me although i think he entered it wrong. I found the exact guitar on ebay with the same serial number. The listing ended back in November from an atlanta based company that had proof of its authenticity. Well i just got the guitar in yesterday which i ordered it from a guitar center in atlanta. So it seems like I am being paranoid and I apologize for the long message. I will attempt to post the pictures here in a sec. Hopefully you kind folks can help give reassurance thats it real and maybe even shed some light on the history of it because i cannot find any pictures of this guitar except one.

Nothing I see suggests it is anything other than the real thing. Since you bought it from GC, I suspect you could return it in any case if it turned out to be other than represented.

A J-45 can be a lifetime instrument. I bought mine--also used--when I was 19. I still have it, almost 50 years later. I've had (and still have) a lot of other guitars, but that old J-45 is special to me for a lot of reasons.

Enjoy, and welcome to the forum.

hey thanks man! really appreciate the reply and welcoming to the forum. so your guess is that its the real thing? I mean it looks and feels real (neck is pretty heavy though, way heavier than my standard j45) but it has none of the signs that im aware of that shows its fake. I think im being paranoid

one thing that does scare me is it has a metalish sound if that makes any sense? especially on the low e and a string. I think it is just the strings though but i really dont know what strings add to sound so i could not tell. The actual sound is beautiful but like i said, it has a metalish sound in the background if that makes any sense

I don't have that much experience with acoustic guitars but I experienced that brilliant overtones may depend on design and alloy of the wound wire. It is hard to evaluate when not knowing which string brand, gauge and make actually is on the guitar. There's a large variety of strings available for acoustic steel string guitars. In case the guitar came with bright sounding strings, it could be normal.

Sometimes a metallish sizzle appears due to strings being a bit "loose" at nut or bridge due to the grooves not matching the gauges. Maybe the strings are different from those the guitar was initially set up for.

it is indeed a rosewood. and does everyone else think its real? sorry about being so paranoid. Never bought a used guitar before cause ive always feared getting a fake. But im in love with this guitar and really hoping everything checks out

i really do appreciate it. I was just worried but ive calmed down...it definitely feels like a gibson. incredibly well built and nothing like any of the fakes ive studied. Hard to believe this guitar is almost 10 years old but she is! the owner(s) took great care of her and im incredibly happy with her..would like to know more about her though and the history of her...cant find ANY info other than its a j45 custom rosewood with abalone trim

one thing that does scare me is it has a metalish sound if that makes any sense? especially on the low e and a string. I think it is just the strings though but i really dont know what strings add to sound so i could not tell. The actual sound is beautiful but like i said, it has a metalish sound in the background if that makes any sense

Depending on where you live, I would suggest taking the guitar to a good technician for a set-up, which should cost no more than $75 or so. The sound you are describing might be fret buzz, needing a bit of a tweak from a pro. You might want to consider a string change at the same time, unless you know what strings are on the guitar and how old they are.

You will get as many opinions on strings for the guitar as there are participants here, but as a starting point, you can't go wrong with Gibson's Masterbuilt Premium light gauge (.012-.053) phosphor bronze strings.

i live in knoxville tn! I know a guy whos been selling guitars for 30-40 years who im pretty sure works on guitars as well but not sure. Pretty sure my local guitar center has a great guy that works on the guitars. ill try to study up a bit more and really pinpoint what it is. still an amazing guitar with a way different tone than my 45 standard

Welcome.

Your Custom 45 looks fine to me.

And yes, rosewood can color the tone with a bit of metallic sound, but that's what you would normally expect, along with great overtones.

Beautiful guitar. The Custom 45 is a elegant blend of blue collar and bling. Congrats. . B)

thanks man! i missed out on a gibson songwriter custom deluxe but i didnt trust amazon warehouse deals for a guitar so i didnt pull the trigger. Just wanted a different sound from my 45 standard. I actually almost got a j200 custom but opted for the 45 custom rosewood. Had to blind order them because my local GC doesnt carry hummingbirds, j200's, doves, or even songwriters..very limited selection mostly consisting of j45s so i got it from GC online

Yeps, Buck - sit back and relax. Try to get closer to that fine 6-string. Experiment with strings and so on. . .

If the Custom 45 doesn't comfort you the way the Standard does, then pass it on when you feel it's time.

You shouldn't keep a guitar that makes you uncomfortable.

Welcomessssss

Thanks everybody! The more I play it, the more I fall in love with it. Just a beautiful sound. It is almost 10 years old so maybe the "wood opened up" a bit. Absolutely love it and I don't see myself ever getting rid of it. Only get better in time.

Hey, thanks man! I only saw a blurry picture of it online and didn't think too much of it (really couldn't see much) so I was gonna get a dove, hummingbird or a custom j200 used from GC. Well I was waiting on the money and kept coming back to that guitar. Never even played it before, it was a few hours from me. Something kept saying she's the one, though. So I blind ordered it (still have 20 something days to return her) and hoped for the best. Went to GC a couple days ago to pick her up and when they opened up the case, I was stunned at the beauty of her. You should see her in person. She really sparkles! Appreciate the kind words and hopefully you enjoy your Gibson too!!

Looks good to me. Gibson made two versions of this, the natural like yours and then the Amber Burst which I have.

The Amber Burst has a little more bling but share the fret inlays and trim.

I've had a standard, I have a legend and an older J50. The rosewood definitely sounds different than the mahogany.

Here's a couple picts of mine.

body_zps3d6eae4f.jpg

fret_zps85fe7810.jpg

back_zps27633c95.jpg

head2_zpsd8ee01a8.jpg

I like it! whats the border on it? All the bling on mine comes from the abalone trim around the whole guitar and the gold tuners but yours doesnt look like abalone, maybe i am just going blind. But i absolutely love that headstock! The amber burst is one of my favorite finishes honestly. honeyburst is nice as well. Im a sucker for the rootbeer finish on the les pauls as well lol

I like it! whats the border on it? All the bling on mine comes from the abalone trim around the whole guitar and the gold tuners but yours doesnt look like abalone, maybe i am just going blind. But i absolutely love that headstock! The amber burst is one of my favorite finishes honestly. honeyburst is nice as well. Im a sucker for the rootbeer finish on the les pauls as well lol

Herringbone Top Trim.

I also like the rootbeer color. They don't call it that but my Chet Atkins Country Gentleman is that color.

Archived